Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel Line Routing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmontgomery11@woh.rr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel Line Routing
    Posted: 05 June 2023 at 10:01am
I have a 47 that appears to have the fuel lines routed backwards to the fuel pump.  It runs well except for some speeding of the engine after it runs awhile.  I'm not a mechanic, but it seems this should cause an issue.  Does it?  When I replace the pump, should I route the lines as is or correctly?  Does it matter?
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2023 at 10:11am
Try explaining your problem more clearly.
BOULDER 48 2A
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2023 at 10:49am
Originally posted by cmontgomery11@woh.rr cmontgomery11@woh.rr wrote:

... I'm not a mechanic...

It may have been stated as clearly as possible.

My suggestion is to post some pictures about each part you have concerns about and then, using a Service Manual, become familiar with how each system works, and tailor your questions to help zero in on the problem.
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2023 at 1:34pm
So long as it meets your particular needs; it is always best to keep everything stock standard and as properly fitted as is possible.

There is a reason why service standards were implemented and why component standards were used. That reason is to simplify diagnostics and allow for parts interchangeability between Jeeps.
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2023 at 1:43pm
Pump won't work if the lines are connected wrong. One side sucks fuel, the other pushes fuel. The tops can be clocked wrong which may look like the lines are backwards, but if you have supply plumbed into the out side of pump all you will get is bubbles in the tank.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2023 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by Oldpappy Oldpappy wrote:

Pump won't work if the lines are connected wrong. One side sucks fuel, the other pushes fuel. The tops can be clocked wrong which may look like the lines are backwards, but if you have supply plumbed into the out side of pump all you will get is bubbles in the tank.

This.

First, Welcome aboard!

Second, Why are you replacing a working fuel pump?

I suspect that the "some speeding of the engine after it runs awhile" is because of a vacuum leak that develops when the engine gets warm. Look to see if either the carburetor or the intake manifold is loose. Small cracks in the intake manifold can be sealing at room temperature but open up at engine operating temperature causing a vacuum leak. Bad gaskets can also cause this.

Try this, get the engine warm & when the engine speeds up, spray some carburetor cleaner around the carburetor & intake manifold. If the engine's speed changes, you have found your leak. Spray around the two shafts that go through the carburetor. They get worn as does the carburetor body itself. If either shaft is "sloppy" in the body, the carburetor need rebuilt by a specialty shop. Oldjeepcarbs.com is our own scoutpilot on this forum. He does good work & is very customer friendly. Call him before removing your carburetor. He will walk you through a few test that you can do to isolate your issue. While he is not the cheapest, IMHO, he is the best. I will use him until either he quits, or I die. BTW, He also does certain fuel pumps, ask him about that.

The intake manifold is the part between the carburetor & the engine block. This is assuming that your engine is the flat head four cylinder like the one your Willys came with. Is it?

Again, welcome to the madness.

IHTH, Cpt Logger.
cmontgomery11@woh.rr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cmontgomery11@woh.rr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2023 at 8:41am
This is very helpful.  I am replacing the pump because it is leaking fuel from the front of the pump.  It looks to be the original pump.  The carb has been rebuilt recently, but it could still have some issues. This is the flathead four and I believe it may be the original engine.  I'll try the ideas you presented and see what comes of it.  Thanks very much.
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2023 at 8:55am
If it is the original, or original style, fuel pump I suggest rebuilding it with a quality kit. 

The replacement / reproduction fuel pumps available today, in my experience, do not last long before fuel starts to destroy the diaphragm and gaskets. 
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
 Post Reply Post Reply