Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel pump not working?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajax25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel pump not working?
    Posted: 20 Aug. 2022 at 5:34pm
So I’m assuming my pump went out but maybe I’m wrong. Jeep fired right up I drove it about a mile down the road to the gas station. Filled up a gas can and started it to head home and as soon as I pushed the gas pedal it does. I notice the fuel filter is near empty. It won’t start, I pulled the air vent off the top of the carb and put my hand over it to create suction hoping to get the fuel moving. The auction fills up the filter and the jeep will start and run and then I watched the fuel slowly drain back down out of the filter towards the pump and the jeep of course then dies. I see zero leaks anywhere, no puddles under the jeep. Am I right to assume something is wrong with the fuel pump?
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2022 at 6:55pm
Fuel cap not venting?
BOULDER 48 2A
ajax25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajax25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2022 at 7:03pm
How would I test that? After my last post I discovered that once I get fuel flowing if I keep my hand on top of the carb, let air flow but not fully open so I cover but with a small gap it will remain running. As soon as I remove my hand a few seconds later it begins to stop flowing, the fuel drains back towards the pump and then dies.
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2022 at 7:12pm
What does the hand over the carb do?  Beside cut off air to engine?
Mike in AZ
Jeff J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2022 at 8:04pm
I would pull the fuel hose loose from the carb and see if the pump pushes fuel out when the engine is cranked. 
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug. 2022 at 11:23pm
Easy test for the fuel cap vent, When the engine dies, take the fuel cap off, if it sucks in air the vent is plugged. Or, take the fuel cap off & drive the Jeep. If the problem is gone & stays gone, the fuel cap vent is plugged. Easy peasy.
ajax25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajax25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2022 at 12:11am
Ok sorry if this is a dumb question but I just want to make sure I understand. So there’s a vent on the fuel cap as in the one I remove to put fuel in the tank?
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2022 at 12:19am
Yes, the same cap you take off to fill your tank.
All fuel systems are "vented".
Can't pull or push fuel out of a vacuum.

Sometimes it's a small pinhole buried in the design of a fuel tank cap that you can't even see and don't even know it's there until it clogs up with crud over a long time.

Take the cap off and run it.
You'll know pdq if that's the problem.

Edited by Ron D - 21 Aug. 2022 at 12:21am
1951 M38
1951 M100
ajax25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajax25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2022 at 2:35am
Huh that makes sense. Thanks I’ll give it a try in the morning and hopefully it’s just that simple
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2022 at 8:57am
Interesting. I have the exact same problem. Came out of nowhere. Haven’t considered the fuel cap. I thought it might be a carb issue so I replaced it with a spare and cleaned the filter and nope didn’t work. I have a spare fuel pump and will replace that next. Fuel cap? Will replace that with a spare as well. It seems to pay off having critical spare parts!Big smile
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
ajax25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajax25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2022 at 1:20pm
Well it’s not the fuel cap. That didn’t make a difference at all. The only way to get fuel moving is by creating a suction from the top of the carb. That sucks fuel into the lines and then as soon as that’s removed it starts draining back the other way. Gotta be the pump right?
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2022 at 1:29pm
Pump test procedure for correct pressure and volume is pretty simple and in the manual at paragraphs F-44, F-45, and F-46.
You have a copy?

Because it mimics pump failure, you should also inspect fuel lines and any gas filters you might have installed to see they aren't plugged with crud.

Good luck!

Edited by Ron D - 21 Aug. 2022 at 1:48pm
1951 M38
1951 M100
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2022 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by damar2yxr damar2yxr wrote:

It seems to pay off having critical spare parts!Big smile

Yes. No doubt owning some spare parts is a good thing.
How best to use them?

Some folks prefer using logical troubleshooting and testing procedures described in the technical manual to isolate and confirm problems before they start replacing stuff.

Others prefer to find solutions by guessing what the problem might be and replacing parts until the problem disappears.
Replace enough parts (good parts? bad parts?) and you may never know what the actual problem really was.
And unless you remove and put back the original part at every step the problem doesn't disappear you might also be putting bad parts back into your spare parts stash.
You also increase the risk of unintentionally inducing other problems using this method.  
And it's twice the work.

Some folks don't mind doing twice the work.

Good luck!

Edited by Ron D - 21 Aug. 2022 at 2:14pm
1951 M38
1951 M100
ajax25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajax25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug. 2022 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by Ron D Ron D wrote:

Pump test procedure for correct pressure and volume is pretty simple and in the manual at paragraphs F-44, F-45, and F-46.
You have a copy?

Because it mimics pump failure, you should also inspect fuel lines and any gas filters you might have installed to see they aren't plugged with crud.

Good luck!

Yeah I do I’ll check it out thanks
CJ2A60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ2A60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2022 at 10:40am
I wish we could "like" posts on this board. I wouldn't make nearly as many replies!

But I would like to point out Ron is offering some essential lessons in troubleshooting (whether it's cars or software or old radios or whatever) in his two posts.

I would also add an observation: do the volume test first. It is rare (but not impossible) to have a pump that can provide the correct volume but not enough pressure. Doing the volume test does not require a specialized gauge although it does require care not to set the car on fire. Keep the gas away from the exhaust manifold.

Check carefully for air leaks in the line between the pump and the carb. Make sure the rubber fuel lines are in good condition and the fuel filter is secured with a proper worm-gear type hose clamp on both ends. In my experience the spring-type hose clamps that so many people use aren't worth much.

Edited by CJ2A60 - 22 Aug. 2022 at 11:03am
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2022 at 10:50am
Hand over the carburetor?

Is that called a choke?
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2022 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

Is that called a choke?

Down south they call that “Hand Gagging”

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
ajax25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajax25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug. 2022 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

Is that called a choke?

Haha I don’t know it’s something my grandpa showed me once when he gave me the jeep. When I pull out the choke nothing happens right now. Creating a suction by placing my hand on the top of the carb created a suction that pulls fuel up into the filter and so on so it will start right now but doesn’t continue to run and drains right away when I push the gas pedal. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>