Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

fuel pump spacer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: fuel pump spacer
    Posted: 14 Mar. 2023 at 9:29pm
I am looking at rebuilding or replacing my fuel pump, (noticed a external leak) and was wondering how important the spacer is for the fuel pump, 
some of the explanation states the spacer will lower the pump pressure to the carb and the WO carb is stated to like 3-4 psi.
At this time I have no spacer between the pump and block and if this is a smoke and mirrors thing I wont worry about the spacers,
If anybody has experimented with this please chime in, thanks 
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2023 at 9:47pm
Use of spacer is dependent upon model of AC fuel pump installed.
I believe they were typically used with most AC dual action fuel/vacuum pumps.
I run a NOS AC 4693 and it was factory mounted with the spacer.
Of course that is an F head 3B application.

Edited by oldtime - 14 Mar. 2023 at 9:52pm
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2023 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by oldtime oldtime wrote:

Use of spacer is dependent upon model of AC fuel pump installed.

And the single-action, single-purpose pump used on the L134 in the CJ2-A is not one that uses it. 
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2023 at 9:53pm
“And the single-action, single-purpose pump used on the L134 in the CJ2-A is not one that uses it.”
Agreed ! I don’t ever recall seeing a single action AC pump with a spacer. That said some aftermarket pumps may effect changes ???

Edited by oldtime - 14 Mar. 2023 at 9:57pm
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2023 at 10:01pm
1951 M38
1951 M100
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar. 2023 at 11:08pm
You are better off rebuilding the original pump. The reproductions available today do not last. Get a good kit with diaphragm that will hold up to modern fuels. 

You do not need the spacer for a single action pump. 
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2023 at 12:31am
Thanks everyone for the input, 
I looked at the new replacement fuel pumps that I could get locally and didn't like what I was seeing, 
I did find some parts to rebuild the pump and now that I know I don't need the spacer that's even better.
Sorry at the start of the post I should have given more details like its a 46 cj2a with a single action glass bowl fuel pump.
After I rebuild the pump I want to check the fuel pressure just to see what it runs at just for my own peace of mind and compare with the manual.  

Edited by shadow - 15 Mar. 2023 at 12:49am
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar. 2023 at 7:02pm
Ok so I made up a fuel line pressure tester adaptor and started by checking fuel pressure of my orignal pump (the one that has a intermittent external leak) just to see what I am working with and found it was putting out 5.5 to 6 psi at idle or at hi idle, the pressure didn't change, I then swapped out the pump for another one I had gone through and cleaned up, after installing it I rechecked the pressure and found it was only putting out 1.5 to 2 psi at idle and hi idle, what I did notice was the gauge was fluttering and this told me a check valve was leaking, I then swapped out the top half of the pump with the good check valves and rechecked the pressure to now find I had a solid 5 psi from idle up to full throttle, of course this meant a little test drive.
So it seems the Carter carb likes 5 psi but not 5.5 to 6 and this would explain the carb running rich from time to time.
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
 Post Reply Post Reply