Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel Sending Unit

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerrym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel Sending Unit
    Posted: 11 July 2020 at 4:58pm
Just got new fuel tank and sending unit from Walcks and installing it today hopefully. Which side of the tank should the float face - driver or passenger side?
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 July 2020 at 5:29pm
You will find that the screw holes are not symmetrical and the send only goes in one way
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2020 at 3:25am
Originally posted by Joe Friday Joe Friday wrote:

You will find that the screw holes are not symmetrical and the send only goes in one way

That's how it's supposed to be... the way replacements are made these days, you never know...
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
gerrym View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerrym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2020 at 12:29am
Screw holes lined up with the float facing drivers side. I didn’t try any other orientation. 
Just need to install tank strap and connect wiring at the fuel gauge. 

jgodfrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgodfrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug. 2021 at 1:17pm
I have the exact same tank and sending unit from Walck's.  But it did not come with screws.  Does anyone know the size\thread of these?  I assume this is a hardware store item and stainless steel would be preferred? 
Thanks
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug. 2021 at 1:50pm
The database shows this:
### PARTS LIST DATABASE ### - The CJ2A Page Forums

5556     SCREW, rd. hd., No. 8-32 x 3/8"Fuel gauge to tank5

Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug. 2021 at 2:37pm
Those are the correct screws for the original fuel tank. Yet be careful, since this is not the original tank, it may have been made with metric nut-plates. If the SAE screws do not thread in easily, try a close sized metric screw.

I have been down this road a time or two. Many re-pop parts use metric hardware. I used to work on old British rigs. Between SAE, metric, British Standard, & Whitworth hardware it can get insane. 

IHTH, Cpt Logger.
jgodfrey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgodfrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug. 2021 at 4:41pm
I will double check metric vs. standard.  At least those are cheap.  I want to put a tiny amount of thread sealer on these so they don't leak.  I have several flavors after all of the wrenching I have done on this over the last 10 months.  Including Permatex #2, Permatex 80632, Permatex Ultra Black, Permatex 51813, and Loctite 1158514.

I will just "kiss" the threads with it, avoiding the tip of the screw, but I want to get something on there to ensure it seals.  Will any of the above work, or am I making another trip to Napa?

Thanks
Richard J View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug. 2021 at 6:07pm
permatex #2 is what I used on mine and works fine .
Richard
Fred46 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug. 2021 at 8:44pm
There are so many sealants out there. I used Permatex Fuel Resistant #29132.

‘46 CJ2A EC, ‘48 CJ2A, ‘46 Bantam T3C, ‘55 Wagon, ‘61 Pickup, ‘50 Jeepster.
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug. 2021 at 2:01am
I use Permatex #2.
gerrym View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerrym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug. 2021 at 10:31am
I don’t recall screw size but I called Karl. He told me size (SAE) and I picked them up at local hardware store. I used Permatex fuel resistant gasket dressing and sealant. No leaks. 
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug. 2021 at 10:53am
Hylomar would be perfect gasket dressing for the fuel sender
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
 Post Reply Post Reply