Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel tank removal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shapz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel tank removal
    Posted: 13 Sep. 2018 at 11:56pm
I (apparently) need to remove the fuel tank to get to one of the body to frame bolts on my '46. Are there any tips (or warnings) for removing the tank, or at least moving it enough to reach the bolt head? Could anyone point me to a step-by-step procedure for tank removal? I am a 69-year-old rookie learning as I go.
Thanks!
Shapz '46 CJ2A
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2018 at 12:13am
Drain tank into gas can. remove strap across tank, carefully remove fuel line,  remove sending unit wire. 

Keep fire extinguisher handy.  the tank drain can be skipped if you drain thru filler neck, the plug can be rusted into pipe threads. The drain sump sticks down below the floor so the tank must be raised up some to be able to shift it around any. 

My laptop must be missing keys because I am editing more than ever today

Edited by jeeper50 - 14 Sep. 2018 at 12:18am

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2018 at 1:58am

Jeeper50, just shut it down and restart it. I am on my 4th computer now. I started computer stuff in 1973 and if I could use my 1999 Gateway? it don't speak wireless, it would be what I would use.

jeeper50
uncamonkey
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2018 at 5:15am
Welcome to the page, Shapz!

Disconnect the battery before you disconnect the fuel gauge wire, just in case...  Then remove the driver's seat.  Drain the gas tank, disconnect the fuel line underneath, yadda, yadda, yadda.

Edited by Ol' Unreliable - 14 Sep. 2018 at 5:44am
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Shapz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shapz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2018 at 9:00pm
Thank you. Very helpful
Shapz '46 CJ2A
Shapz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shapz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2018 at 9:01pm
Thanks. Good point about the fire extinguisher.
Shapz '46 CJ2A
SteveBonny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveBonny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep. 2018 at 9:23pm
If you drain the tank remember it's 10 gal!!
I drained mine thinking it was a 5 gal tank.   You can guess where the rest went.   It would have a made a great comedy show if someone had a camera handy.......

Only other piece of advice I would give is to use a soluble thread sealant on the drain fittings when you re-assemble.  I skimped on this and of course it leaked and I had to drain it again to add sealant.   The soluble stuff wont get plugged in carb jets etc if it comes adrift like tape can.
47 CJ2A
 Post Reply Post Reply