Forum Home Forum Home > Bantam Trailer - Discussion - For Sale - Wanted > Bantam Trailer - Tech Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fulton coupler locking tab replacement

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote takesiteasy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fulton coupler locking tab replacement
    Posted: 07 July 2018 at 11:22pm
I'm tip-toeing in to working on my trailer. I did another post in the project section showing the trailer but thought I would put this here- might be of interest to others.

My coupler was intact but was missing the locking tab- or more accurately, the tab was broken off. The ring part was still there. I decided to try to make a replacement. I used some scrap galvanized steel plate I had lying around. I had to guess at the dimensions and geometry from photos I found online. After some trial and error I ended up with a crude but acceptable facsimilie of the original. I painted it OD because that is what I had handy. With what I learned and taking a bit more time, I could do better but I am going with this for now. I also replaced the spring which was pretty stretched out and bent out of shape. It seems to work as intended.

Here are some pics of the finished piece:
top view

side view

top view in place

assembled with handwheel

Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2018 at 11:53pm
Nice work!
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
 Post Reply Post Reply