Forum Home Forum Home > Suggestions, Comments and Testing > Product Review Forum > Electrical Group
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FYI Walck's Horn

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ritt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: FYI Walck's Horn
    Posted: 19 Apr. 2010 at 3:00pm
Just wanted to let anyone contemplating  a Willys horn know that I was pleasently surprised at the sound of the horn Walck's sells. Nice "Willys sound" and LOUD, much louder than I expected. It doesn't look original but either is some other stuff on my Jeep.
Rit

1948 2A,

"RAISIN COOKIES THAT LOOK LIKE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES ARE THE MAIN REASON I HAVE TRUST ISSUES"
ovrlnd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ovrlnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr. 2010 at 9:37pm
I got the 12v version from walcks and it is very nice.
Cammer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2010 at 7:53pm
What does it look like?  Did you get the 12v version?  I'm trying to figure out how to hook up my old 6v original horn to my 12v system.

My Email

CJ-2a #108844 ACM #97951

bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2010 at 8:40pm
Jerry,
I've got a 6V horn hooked to 12V, many here have done that. I haven't had any problems, just can't "lay" on the horn for very long. (that could get you shot in the wrong neighborhood anywayLOL)
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
Cammer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr. 2010 at 10:36pm
Thanks for the tip Gale.  I was wondering if I needed a voltage dropping resistor on it, but I guess not.  These old horns are pretty tough. 

I sure wish you lived down here in Florida.  I sure could use another pair of hand on this old Jeep from time to time.  I'm the only flatfender owner that I know of in Florida, within driving distance anyway.

My Email

CJ-2a #108844 ACM #97951

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2010 at 4:52am
It wires the same way on 12 volts as it does on 6.

Edited by rocnroll - 22 Apr. 2010 at 3:27pm
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2010 at 7:10am
Jerry,
I'd gladly give you a hand, gotta be easier than going back to college (which is what I'm doing now) seems to be harder this time (of course that was 40 years ago, I think I've gotten stupider over the yearsLOL)
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Cammer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2010 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by bkreutz bkreutz wrote:

Jerry,
I'd gladly give you a hand, gotta be easier than going back to college (which is what I'm doing now) seems to be harder this time (of course that was 40 years ago, I think I've gotten stupider over the yearsLOL)

Well we seem to have that in common then.  I am back in college also.  I'm about two-three years away from finally getting my doctorate in nursing practice.  I'm also working full time and teaching at a local college.  With all that happening I am afraid to dig in to some deep fixes in my jeep without knowing exactly what I'm doing.  I'm having too much fun driving my jeep to see it just sitting in my garage in pieces without the time to put it back together.

I know you'd give me a hand, but for now it will have to continue to be the occasional phone call.  At least until you move your awesome shop down here next door to me.

Anyhow, expect a phone call from me sometime soon.  I have a trans/clutch issue that I want to talk about.

My Email

CJ-2a #108844 ACM #97951

buckshot View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buckshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2010 at 6:01pm

Hey Guys, about the sound.......does it sound like the Jeep horns from the TV show MASH?

Sorta like a Road Runner horn?
I drove a Jeep many times in the Army (30 years ago!) I can't remember what the horn sounded like! Confused

Brian in Tyler
'46 CJ-2A #14883
M416 Trailer
1938 Plymouth Pick-Up
2008 HEMI Rubicon Unlimited
2008 JK Unlimited
My Jeep photos at:

https://picasaweb.google.com/113017572186775733159/ForumPhotos
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2010 at 7:35pm
Buckshot, you're closer than you think, when Chrysler was trying to find the "sound" for the Roadrunner, they ended up using a Jeep horn to get the sound. 
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Ritt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ritt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2010 at 9:59am
Jerry, They are available in 6 or 12V.

Edited by Ritt - 23 Apr. 2010 at 10:00am
Rit

1948 2A,

"RAISIN COOKIES THAT LOOK LIKE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES ARE THE MAIN REASON I HAVE TRUST ISSUES"
Ritt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ritt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2010 at 10:20am
Originally posted by bkreutz bkreutz wrote:

Jerry,

Man, I have to hand it to ya Gale, 40 years ago for me to. Got out of the Navy, married, first baby and started school nights, all on the GI Bill (back when it was a good Bill). Only took me 9 years to get a BSME, what a tough time it was. Ouch
Rit

1948 2A,

Post Reply Post Reply