Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gages

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LBuisse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gages
    Posted: 15 June 2022 at 4:47pm
Do I have to buy all 12 volt gages if converted from 6 volt? Has anyone bought gages from Kaiser Overland?
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2022 at 5:38pm
Gas gauge would have to be 12 volt along with a matching sender tank unit. Amp gauge stays the same. I think you mean Kaiser-Willys for a vendor. Their gauges are more than likely Omix-ADA and they are of questionable quality. My gas gauge was converted so long ago that Omix-ADA didn't even exist. (1974 or so)

Someone on here can probably give a good recommendation for a good 12 volt gauge and sender pair.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2022 at 5:40pm
I never heard of "Kaiser Overland".

I suspect you are thinking of the supplier named "Kaiser Willys". Their gauges are probably Omix-ADA.  

I recommend checking with Walcks, they generally have better quality parts, and often better prices than KW.

The replacement gauges Walcks lists are their own reproductions, so not Omix-ADA junk.

That said. The only gauge in a CJ2A that is electrical is the Amp meter. The speedometer, oil and temp gauges are mechanical. 

When I convert a Jeep from 6V to 12V I replace the amp meter with a good voltage meter which will tell you if the alternator is charging the system.  

If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
LBuisse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LBuisse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2022 at 6:01pm
Thanks, I meant Kaiser Willy's. I will check out walcks
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2022 at 8:01pm
I forgot about the fuel gauge, but Mr Kansas is correct that you will need a 12 volt fuel gauge and sender.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
 Post Reply Post Reply