Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gas Cap

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 47mountain cj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2019 at 12:14am
I have one of the A/C caps on my '47, what would have been the original color that a similar cap would have been painted on a 2a. Mine is of course o.d. as it was intended for military purposes. 
1947 CJ2A
2012 JK
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2019 at 1:21am
The reference photos in this thread consistently show black gas caps...
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2019 at 4:05am
This thread prompted me to do something about the gas cap on Wilson that has been leaking for many years.

I am quite sure this is the original cap,  since it has all 8 of the paint color changes in its lifetime. LOL

Usually,  I did not fill the tank past approx. 3/4's full to avoid the possibility that I might park on side hill,  driver-side down.

Today I made a new gasket for the cap from 3/32" Buna-N material,  to replace the "fiber" original.

It passed the first test. Smile    I drove Wilson to gas station and filled to the point the fuel was starting to enter filler tube  (I never do this).    Drove home a few miles and parked on off camber trail next to woodshed.   (where I have parked numerous times in the past,  only to be reminded that it is not a good idea,  even with 3/4's tank,  because when I return there is fuel on side)   In the past,  it did not pour out,  but did drip occasionally.

Wilson sat there, with totally full tank,  for 2 hours,  and did not leak a single drop of fuel Clap

Next up is test #2 . .    will there be a vacuum in tank after relatively long drive?  (should not be a vacuum,  if the vents are working properly in this cap)   I will report back. Smile

Edited by JeepFever - 17 July 2019 at 12:07pm
Spinnas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spinnas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug. 2019 at 5:12am
Got my original “AC” cap and ran a couple tests. First I put a new fiber gasket on it and it still leaked. Then I said to myself I’m gonna make a rubber gasket for it out of some 1/8”. Little did I know upon returning to this thread I would read that apparently JeepFever did the same thing pretty much. So I filled it up till fuel was up the filler neck to the cap. Then I drove, hard right turns, parked slightly at an angle, nothing. Not even a weep. As JeepFever mentioned, next test is to see if it vacuums the tank or not. If it passes that test, I am going to go back to the previous caps I tested and try the rubber gasket on those and see what happens. I have tried 2 fiber gaskets on 1 of caps and that didn’t work either.
Spinnas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spinnas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep. 2019 at 6:08pm
Have tested 5 caps now on my 2A with a metal tank as well as my dad's 3A with a plastic tank. Filled the tanks all the way to the cap on flat ground and hit some dirt roads.

The "AC" caps seem to work the best. Rubber gasket was a must, just need to get some oil/fuel resistant rubber now and they'll be good. This cap still had 2 drips on my dad's 3A but that might be because of the rubber not playing nice with fuel.

We tested 3 replacement versions of the "AC" cap, they all 3 were black and of various ages, 1 very old, 1 about 15 years old, and 1 that I just picked up. Tried all of these with rubber gaskets that felt like they had a good seal. The oldest one that came on my dad's 3A when he bought it 20 years ago leaked alot. The middle one had a few drops when full full but not bad. The new one leaked pretty good but not as bad as the super old one. Probably with the newest of these caps is the tabs will just bend allowing the gasket to not seal to the cap surface on the tank, even with just a light amount of pressure on it they bend. The older 2 did not bend.

The last 2 caps are the chrome omix caps, 1 new, 1 ~10 years old. Replaced the fiber gasket with rubber and tried them. They had a couple drips but not bad. Overall I think these caps with the rubber gasket leaked the least besides with "AC" caps that seem to not leak at all. But damn they were hard to get on and off with a rubber gasket.
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2019 at 12:34pm
[QUOTE=Spinnas]
. Overall I think these caps with the rubber gasket leaked the least besides with "AC" caps that seem to not leak at all. But damn they were hard to get on and off with a rubber gasket.

This is what I did to make it easier to remove.  I welded  two tabs on the cap for a better grip. I have arthritis in my hands so it make it easy to tighten and remove.

1946 cj2a 59108
1998 Jeep Cherokee 2 doors
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
a4cj2a77 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a4cj2a77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2019 at 6:23pm
Bought a A/C cap from Mullins jeep parts or armytankguy on ebay. Fits great, but won't know if it leaks until I get it back on the road. Doing disc brakes ft and rear(Geo tracker setup) Previous cap I bought, you could hear the ball check valve rattle around and you can see the staining on the body from gas leaking
Phil
Rick R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2019 at 7:49pm
Just got a cap from g503 yesterday. It leaks too.
RWILLYS (Space R)
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2019 at 8:35pm
Rick,

Is it a NOS A/C pattent pending cap with a retaining chain?

Can you post a picture?

Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2019 at 8:42pm
If you don't find the perfect gas cap you might want to order a cheap pack of jerry can spout gaskets off of eBay (these are smaller diameter than the actual gas can gaskets). You may have to cut it to get it to fit but it will still work pretty well. I know I have a collection of non-sealing caps.
Rick R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2019 at 8:53pm
The gas cap I got does not have a chain. The cap gasket seals tightly on the neck and it appears the check valve doesn’t seal.
RWILLYS (Space R)
a4cj2a77 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a4cj2a77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2019 at 9:24pm
looks different than the one from Mullins. Mine also came with a chain and clip
Phil
3A Steve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3A Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2019 at 9:33pm
Look identical to my gas cap. Leaked. Used a jerry can spout gasket. It still has very minor leaks but it is quite satisfactory. Did have to cut the gasket to remove a very small section. It goes on hard but not bad.
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep. 2019 at 10:14pm
This a NOS AC Cap that does not leak (one on the left).

Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2019 at 2:36am
I got a NOS surplus military one with a chain off of eBay. I fill it up all the way to the neck, sometimes past, and it doesn't leak. I did not change the gasket. Just stuck it on.

Micah
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
Spinnas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spinnas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2019 at 4:40am
Rick that exact cap was one that I tested. With a good gasket it still never sealed very well and leaked pretty good still. It was one of the 3 Black replacement caps we tried, and it was the best of those 3. See my long post above.
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep. 2019 at 5:11am
Just to throw a little more mud in the water, here’s what I’m trying.

First off, I have resigned myself to the fact that if my Jeep is parked with the drivers side down and a tank more than half full of fuel, my gas cap is going to weep some fuel.

I ordered a Jerry can gasket as recommended by 3a Steve. 1st one worked pretty well, but tore after a while. It was a really tight fit. 2nd one was too big and got bigger from swelling after about two weeks. Couldn’t get it to seal after that.

Today I went to the Ace Hardware store and got some of this red rubber gasket material. 

It’s pretty thick and pretty stiff. Probably won’t hold up to the gasoline. The package doesn’t have any info on suitability. 

I cut out a gasket.

Fit in the cap well. Screwed on tight to the filler neck. Time will tell if the rubber holds up.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
AKoller View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AKoller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep. 2019 at 1:11pm
I have what I believe to be an original gas cap. Last week while in Colorado I wasn't having any trouble with the gasket sealing. I was having trouble with the cap venting. While climbing in elevation the tank would build so much pressure that it wasn't allowing my added return fuel line to work. If I wasn't returning fuel I was then having trouble with the Jeep wanting to vapor lock. The little brass vent plunger in the cap is free. Is there something else in there keeping the cap from venting? After the first day I started to just install the cap real loosely so it would vent around the gasket. The problem with this is it was dumping fuel out terribly. I wasn't too crazy about that either at $3.65 a gallon for the non ethanol fuel.

One thing I was thinking of trying is to let the cap sit in carburetor dip to see if it will fee anything up inside the cap allowing it to vent. I may try this tonight and report back how it worked. Any other suggestions are welcome.
1950 CJ3A "Thumper"
1966 M151 A1
1942 GPW #70221
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>