Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gauge cluster troubleshooting.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zachmoody19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gauge cluster troubleshooting.
    Posted: 30 Mar. 2023 at 2:59pm
So all the gauges don't work. My wife and I have a 1946 cj2a we got a few years back and want to fix it up a bit. Runs great, some minor issues. If all the gauges don't work, where would I look first? Is there a main ground or main power source for the gauges? Thanks in advance, 28 years old and minor experience with things like this.Smile
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2023 at 4:03pm
  Unless things have been changed along the way (a lot can happen in 77 years) , the four gauges share almost nothing except a place to stay. The oil pressure gauge and the temperature gauge are mechanical, so no electrical problems there. The fuel gauge is powered by the ignition switch, which is powered by the ammeter. Common ground? Yeah, the body. But the ammeter does not require a ground, the fuel gauge is the only one that needs a ground, and it needs two. The gauge itself grounds to the back of the dash panel and the sending unit grounds to the gas tank, which is grounded to the body. 
  There is a good wiring diagram on page 123 of the Service Manual For Universal Jeep Vehicles. You do have a Service Manual, don’t you? If not, you need one. No, you NEED one!
  Welcome to the forum. This is where the CJ2-A answeres are.
BW 

Edited by Bruce W - 30 Mar. 2023 at 4:07pm
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2023 at 4:08pm
Start looking at what’s behind the dash going to the gauges.  Original gauges?  Link to wiring diagram to help figure out wiring, hopefully. Welcome to the fun

Mike in AZ
zachmoody19 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zachmoody19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2023 at 4:20pm
Thanks for the info. Getting a copy of the manual. Just wanted to post before I start digging in the dash to see if I can be pointed in the right direction. The fuel gauge sometimes works so maybe loose connection. Checking those grounds this weekend. Thanks y'all.
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2023 at 7:27pm
Common for the  fuel sender ground to be faulty. It uses the fuel tank mounting hardware and a metal clip on the fuel line. I added a ground from a sending unit mounting screw to the seat frame.
BOULDER 48 2A
 Post Reply Post Reply