Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > How to information
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Generator adjustment

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gshockxcc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Generator adjustment
    Posted: 07 Sep. 2020 at 6:45pm
Okay guys, I know this is a really stupid question.  In principle, I know how to adjust the generator to tighten the belt.  What I can't figure out is how to do that having two bolts loose at the same time.  

1948 CJ2A 151470
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2020 at 7:39pm
You should actually have 3 bolts loose at the same time. 
Bottom bolts loose enough to allow pivot.  Top bolt loose enough to slide.  When the belt is tensioned, tighten the top bold to hold then snug the bottom bolts. 
The belt should have about 1/2" up/down give (so that the belt and bearings aren't under too much tension).  You should not be able to turn the gen pulley by hand under the belt after tightening.
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
gshockxcc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gshockxcc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2020 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by Rus Curtis Rus Curtis wrote:

You should actually have 3 bolts loose at the same time. 
Bottom bolts loose enough to allow pivot.  Top bolt loose enough to slide.  When the belt is tensioned, tighten the top bold to hold then snug the bottom bolts. 
The belt should have about 1/2" up/down give (so that the belt and bearings aren't under too much tension).  You should not be able to turn the gen pulley by hand under the belt after tightening.

Thanks, Rus.  Point taken about the three bolts loose.  

Maybe I'm over thinking this, but I don't see how you get a snug fit without kicking the generator pulley out of alignment with the belt.  When I loosen up the two bottom bolts, and the top bolt, I put pressure on the generator to tighten up the belt.  I'm just doing this by hand, so I"m not forcing it.  The generator seems to want to kick out so that the pulley is askew.  

Also, is there any method to adjusting the rear bracket on the generator? Or do you just snug it up wherever it lands after tightening up the two bolts in the front?
1948 CJ2A 151470

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2020 at 9:25pm
Do your bottom bolts have the rubber bushings?  Do you have the correct bottom bolts that have the large shoulder?

If you have standard hardware, it may be too loose for the lower bracket/front plate holes. 

I've always preferred to use a pry bar to hold tension when adjusting - that way you aren't straining while attempting to work hand tools on the upper adjustment bracket. Ideally, the housing shouldn't wiggle around so that a simple outward movement keeps the pulley aligned with the water pump and crank pulleys.  I have, on occasion, gotten a bit creative on where I put the pry bar - depending on the item that needs tightening.  For this I've usually just slid it down the side of the bock just behind the front plate (close to the adjustment bracket) and pulled out (my pry bar has always been my lug nut wrench which is a bit longer than a factory type).  This keeps the outward pull as close to the top bracket alignment as possible.  Applying force as close to the front as possible should help with the rear bottom movement.  FWIW, there are tools to insert between two pulleys that screw outward to tension but I've never used one. 

This may be a great way to find out how many other techniques/tools are used to do this (I may like one better and switch myself!).

Edited by Rus Curtis - 07 Sep. 2020 at 9:27pm
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2020 at 11:43pm
Rus, I think your method is pretty close to optimal.  It's quick and to the point; what else need be said?  
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2020 at 12:54am
Those don't look like the shouldered bolts..
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2020 at 1:00am
Originally posted by RICKG RICKG wrote:

Those don't look like the shouldered bolts..

And they're facing the wrong way...
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
gshockxcc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gshockxcc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2020 at 1:01am
I have the shoulder bolts and bushings.  But the bushings at Walcks look like they are sintered bronze.  The ones I have are rubber, like you stated.    

Edited by gshockxcc - 08 Sep. 2020 at 1:03am
1948 CJ2A 151470
gshockxcc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gshockxcc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2020 at 1:11am
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

And they're facing the wrong way...

See below and let me know if you think they're still in the wrong way.  If I set the generator in without using the slotted brackets, it sits tilted on the engine bracket and there's no way it lines up.  I have to use the slotted brackets to get it aligned with the crank pulley.  

If I'm thinking about this the right way, I need to tighten the slotted brackets to the generator, then let it pivot on the shoulder bolts in the bushings.  

Edited by gshockxcc - 08 Sep. 2020 at 1:13am
1948 CJ2A 151470
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2020 at 1:13am
  Wait. What th'?!

It looks like there's a bracket bolted to the bracket, and it's bolted to the generator. The generator should be bolted directly to the block-mounted bracket, thru the rubber bushings, by the shouldered bolts.
BW

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2020 at 1:17am
  Those slotted brackets should not be needed. They have BUBBA! written all over them. It looks like your generator has its own bushing/isolator incorporated in the front mount. I think you have the wrong generator.
BW

RICKG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RICKG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2020 at 1:45am
Mounted on stilts there's little wonder that belt alignments are off. Back in the day someone displayed  some ingenuity keeping that jeep on the job with the available generator.Thumbs Up
I never met a mule I didn't like!
MC51986 "OD MULE" DOD 01-52
'50 CJ3A "Bucksnort".
Keep 'em Rollin'
gshockxcc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gshockxcc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2020 at 1:56am
If it's not obvious to you guys, this is really a "Frankenstein" project.  Thanks for giving me a head's up about the generator.  I have no idea where it came from, but it's the one that has been on there for the last 30+ years.  

Thanks for the help.  

p.s., this is fried, but it looks like the external solenoid.  

I did manage to get the engine to turn over before it started smoking.

Edited by gshockxcc - 08 Sep. 2020 at 2:01am
1948 CJ2A 151470
gshockxcc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gshockxcc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2020 at 2:31am
Originally posted by Bruce W Bruce W wrote:

Those slotted brackets should not be needed. They have BUBBA! written all over them. It looks like your generator has its own bushing/isolator incorporated in the front mount. I think you have the wrong generator.
BW

It wouldn't surprise me in the least.  This jeep also has an electric fuel pump.  They just AIP the old one.

What do you recommend as the appropriate 12V generator to replace it with?  Or should I just jump right to the alternator?
1948 CJ2A 151470

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep. 2020 at 4:39am
I prefer to get my parts like this rebuilt so I don't have to worry about fitment.  AND if you do get a replacement TAKE THE PULLEY OFF YOURS!! yeah, been there done that....

On Rick Grover's website he has a list of suppliers new/used.  You may have something within driving distance (be sure to scroll down and view Garcia's list too). They're dated but the businesses may still be there:

Also Harry Sheets:

If you go with an alternator you'll need to fabricate/buy a bracket to adapt the alternator to fit.
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
 Post Reply Post Reply