Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Generator/Regulator wired different, but it works
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Generator/Regulator wired different, but it works

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Generator/Regulator wired different, but it works
    Posted: 15 Sep. 2018 at 4:14pm
First off let me say my charging system works just fine, so I don't plan to mess with it for now. 

That being said, I was looking at the Bubba wiring at the GDZ4817A generator and Prestolite regulator and traced the wires to see where they went. Then I compared them to standard CJ2A wiring diagrams and noticed something odd. 

I'm not 100% sure of which generator terminal is which. Paint has filled in any markings. But I think the rearmost terminal is "A", middle is "G" and forward terminal is "F". On that assumption, the "F" wire is going to the Field terminal on the regulator. The "G" has two wires, one grounds on a regulator mounting bolt, the other on a starter relay mounting bolt. Now, here is the odd part. The generator "A" terminal wire is going to the BATT terminal on the regulator, not the ARM terminal. The regulator ARM terminal has a wire that goes through the dash, probably to the ammeter. But I didn't trace it. 

Are Prestolite regulators different and require the different wiring connections? I admit I don't understand how this is working. But it does work fine. Under mormal driving it shows a slight charge. With headlights on it still shows a slight charge also, except at idle. So like I said, I'm not inclinded to change anything for now, but would like to understand how it works when the regulator is wired this way. 

Your thoughts?
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
autolite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote autolite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2018 at 4:35pm
Your cover is mounted in reverse. Flip it around.
willys jeep
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep. 2018 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by autolite autolite wrote:

Your cover is mounted in reverse. Flip it around.

Boy do I feel stupid..... I flipped it over and all is right with the worldBig smile

Thank you sir!
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
 Post Reply Post Reply