Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gift for Retiring Soldier

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gift for Retiring Soldier
    Posted: 29 Aug. 2021 at 3:56pm
My son-in-law Chris is retiring from the Army after 20 years of service in the Military Police. 

After several combat tours, he was wounded in Iraq, and later due to his injury he was placed into a training role, but due to further complications he is now being retired due to medical issues.

The emblem for the Military Police is a pair of 1805 Harpers Ferry pistols. They sell plastic models in the PX of these, and Chris once bought one of those as a retirement gift for one of his unit who retired several years ago. 

He was so tickled about that model of the pistol, that I decided to build him one (from a kit) that will actually shoot. He is stationed at Fort Leonard Wood in Waynesville MO, and I plan to present this to him after I attend the Fall Reunion in Fulton.

If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug. 2021 at 4:21pm
What a great gift for 20 years service as a Army Military Police soldier!
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Katiedid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katiedid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug. 2021 at 4:55pm
That's a beautiful gift, very thoughtful of you.  Your son-in-law has my thanks and respect for his service, both overseas and at Ft. Leonard Wood.  My son's basic training was at FLW and I heard about heat, humidity and things that want to eat you.  Lol!

Job well done Old Pappy!
Katiedid
48 CJ2A Waltzing Matilda
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug. 2021 at 5:10pm
Well, heat, humidity and things that want to eat you are there in the summer but not in the winter. As I recall January, February and March 1966 it was damned cold, lots of snow and mud and fairly windy at times. One night the temperatures got down to 20 below the last part of January.

They don't call Fort Leonard Wood "Little Korea" for nothing...
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug. 2021 at 5:39pm

He was at Fort Hood when we visited in 2016, and I believe he was sent to FLW soon after that, maybe 2017. Before that he was at Fort Riley, Fort Stewart, and early in his career he was in Korea. He spent a couple of years at a base in Germany after Kansas and before he went to Texas. I have probably missed a place or two. 

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug. 2021 at 6:01pm
Well, if you make a career of the military you can almost bet they will move you ever couple of years or so. That way everyone gets a turn at some armpit somewhere...

Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug. 2021 at 10:24pm
I plan on test firing the pistol in the next couple of days, and sending a video of it to Chris.

I tried to talk my wife into posing with a watermelon on her head for the video, then firing the pistol going back to a view of her holding pieces of the rind with watermelon smeared on her head, but she won't go for it. Or course I would NOT actually be shooting a Mellon off her head, just making it look like I did, to have a little fun. I don't know why she doesn't like the idea, but women don't always understand my sense of humor.
48cj2a View Drop Down
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Bantam Trailer Moderator
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug. 2021 at 1:53pm
A very nice gift for a retiring MP indeed! 
Art C USAF (Retired)

47 CJ2A #134955 Project
48 CJ2A #206759
62 L6226 Station Wagon #58167 10900
45 T3-C #191 Project
http://www.bantamt3c.com
http://www.48cj2a.com
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug. 2021 at 5:53pm
What a great gift to a wonderful SIL for his service. That can trigger a collection!

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2021 at 7:23am
Very nice project and I like the watermelon idea too. My Dad did his Basic at Fort Leonard Wood in the winter. He caught the flu and but managed to get through it. He said it was cold and miserable and he learned to march and sleep at the same time. He then went to Helicopter mechanic training and ended up in Germany in Illisheim. 42nd Trans Co.. He loved that and was able to travel all over Europe.
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Mud Hen"
The less the Power the More the Force
 Post Reply Post Reply