Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Glove compartment in a 2A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Glove compartment in a 2A
    Posted: 01 Oct. 2017 at 1:27am
Dragged an M38 tub out of the shed today to cut out the glove compartment. Other than some rusty screws it was easier than I anticipated. The bottom and left side are just sheet metal pieces and are only supported by the screws through the fire wall and dashboard, there are no pieces for the right side and top just the top and side of the cowl. If the screws came out easily it would only take 5 minutes to remove them. The pieces are usable but a little ugly, I'm just going to bend up some new parts and keep the old ones for patterns. There were originally welded nuts on the firewall but I'm just going to use screws and nuts. The biggest project will be welding in the opening but that won't be bad. The door, gasket and latch are available and the door fastens to the bottom edge of the dashboard. You could cut any shape hole behind the door and with some simple panels the whole thing could be done without welding. I'll post more pics when I get more done.
Willy M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willy M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct. 2017 at 2:20pm
Very good idea!  You can never have too many places to stash stuff in a CJ.  

Wheelhouse tool boxes like in a MB would also be another good idea, although the MB doors would probably have to modified to fit.  

leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct. 2017 at 10:46pm
I'm going to make some patterns of these pieces and my son is going to sheer some for me where he works (DMC Racing, Halifax MA look it up, cool stuff). He's a fabricator and does all kinds of different stuff this is some of the stuff he does.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct. 2017 at 3:25am
WOW!!!! 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct. 2017 at 10:36pm
A place to start.
Willy M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willy M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct. 2017 at 2:16pm
I'm betting that's going to turn out pretty sharp!

Craig1017 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig1017 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2017 at 2:47am
Will you be making the parts for sale? 

leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2017 at 7:54pm
I want to see how this one comes out first before I make any to sell. The door, door gasket and latch are available and I can make the side and bottom. The problem with not having a donor is not having the double lip to reinforce the hole in the dash, I'm not sure if a single thickness would be stiff enough. A couple pieces of bent up sheet metal angle plug welded, screwed or even pop riveted to the back may be strong enough. The sharp edge around the hole would have to be addressed somehow too. If anyone knows of an m38 being scrapped go salvage that part of the dash. I've got the hard part done anyway.
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2017 at 9:45pm
  I kinda like this glove-box idea. Thumbs UpLots of other vehicles could yield an opening and a door. MB/GPW come to mind, but others would work as well. I've got a door from a '47 Ford truck that I've been saving against the day that I decide to cut a hole in my jeep's dash. Shocked
  A little trivia,here - In all my years of wrenching, and having to remove customer's glove boxes to access the heater core, blower motor, etc, what do you suppose is the least-often found item in the glove box? Big smile          BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2017 at 10:40pm
Don't forget your heater clearance! Or not if you never drive in the winter. Oilly
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2017 at 10:50pm
Heaters!!  We don' need no steenkin' heaters!  Beer   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2017 at 10:53pm
Only wimps freeze because they don't have a heater! LOL
Willy M View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willy M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2017 at 11:08pm
Heater?   Leave a couple of big open holes in the firewall and there's your heat.  

Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2017 at 11:11pm
To answer your earlier question about what you find in a glove box. I suppose you don't find gloves in there. .22 ammo, maps and warranty receipts along with some wire and a roll of electrical tape, fuses. Perhaps a screwdriver. At least that's what I find in mine. Gloves I keep in the pockets of my winter jacket.
uncamonkey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct. 2017 at 11:12pm
Getting back to the OP, sorry for all the BS! I have two M38's and I love that glovebox! Your metal skills look excellent! John
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2017 at 12:56am

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2017 at 1:16am
3 questions, what is that glove compartment out of, will that steering wheel fit a stock cj column and are those defroster vents in that cage? As for heaters, we don't even use the doors.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct. 2017 at 1:51am
1) MB/GPW repop.....buy 'em new all day long. (but it's been narrowed for roll cage clearance)

2) Probably......but that one is smaller the an original

3) yes

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>