Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Go devil Water in oil

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeeps3,4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Go devil Water in oil
    Posted: 20 June 2018 at 6:48pm
just pulled a CJ2a with go devil from the weeds. It is completely stock, running gear is intact and seems functional, have no history on it. The motor is locked up, has water in the oil. Where do these engines usually fail? Is it worth tearing in to? 
New to old Jeeps
I drive 1998 Jeep TJ
Wife 2015 Jeep JK
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2018 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by Jeeps3,4 Jeeps3,4 wrote:

...The motor is locked up, has water in the oil. Where do these engines usually fail? Is it worth tearing in to? 

Assuming the tub and other parts are there and redeemable it might be. Of course, you won't know until you dig into it.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
Jeeps3,4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeeps3,4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2018 at 10:56pm
the tub is really scrap, everything is welded together! The windshield frame and fenders are welded to the tub, the grill is welded to the fenders, the floorboards are patched. The frame and suspension are sound, the transmission and transfer case shift. My original plan was to get it running and play with it around the ranch but don’t want to spend much on it. 

Locked up and water in the oil was not part of the plan, if I cant get it going without spending a bunch of money, I’ll probably stop here and plant flowers around it.
New to old Jeeps
I drive 1998 Jeep TJ
Wife 2015 Jeep JK
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2018 at 11:53pm
We need a definition of terms here. "if I cant get it going without spending a bunch of money, I’ll probably stop here and plant flowers around it." What does "a bunch of money" mean?  If you watch carefully, you can sometimes find a running engine for about $300.00. Is that too much?  keep in mind when looking, that either an "F" or an "L" head Willys engine will bolt in with almost no modification.

It is going to take a fair amount of work to fix that engine. Although, it is some what of a crap shoot. Sometimes a "stuck" engine will break free with little effort & damage. Other times, you end up with broken rings, pistons, & block after months of soaking & work.

Just curious, could the water in the oil be from some of the flooding that has happened in recent past in your area?

If you do choose to use it for "Yard Art" you might look at other options. If it were I, I would look at planting flowers in the Jeep as well as around it. OTOH, Tomatoes in the bed would be at about the right height for picking. Maybe some peppers as well. The list goes on.

IHTH, Cpt Logger.
Jeeps3,4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeeps3,4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2018 at 1:23am
we and the Jeep are in SW Colorado (Cortez), home is New Orleans. A good friend let me have two - a ‘46 and a ‘53. The ‘53 body is excellent, the ‘46 has the frame and drivetrain. Original plan was a body swap to the ‘46 frame, get it running this summer and ship it home in the fall. Long story short, I budgeted $3k for the pjt, includes $1k to ship it, and $1k for misc stuff (belts, hoses, brakes, battery, used tires). Leaves me about a grand to get it running. I’m at the crossroads - fix the flathead, engine swap, or tomato bed. I also have about two months to get it ready to ship. I probably cant rebuild the flatty for a grand, leaning towards engine swap, which opens up a new set of issues. Any recommendation would be greatly apprectated
New to old Jeeps
I drive 1998 Jeep TJ
Wife 2015 Jeep JK
1947-cj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947-cj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2018 at 1:33am
Does it have a title and is it the name of the guy trying to sell it to you!
RICH

1947 cj2a (Toy From Hell)
Jeeps3,4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeeps3,4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2018 at 2:38am
Yes to both, and both were given to me by a lifelong friend. Does the title stay with the body or the frame? If a ‘46 and ‘53 are combined, what year is it titled as? Does anyone have a $300 running engine?

Edited by Jeeps3,4 - 21 June 2018 at 2:44am
New to old Jeeps
I drive 1998 Jeep TJ
Wife 2015 Jeep JK
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2018 at 3:11am
   If the '53 is a CJ3A or an M38, I think you could use either title with either body or either frame, and no one very few people would know the difference. If you used the '53 body on the '46 frame with the '53 title, it would probably be a good idea to make sure the serial number tag on the frame is gone. If you use the '46 title, put the '46 firewall-mounted serial number and body number tags on the '53 body. 
  If the '53 is a CJ3B or an M38A1, more worms have been thrown into the can. 
  Are both titles available?  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2018 at 3:19am
Wow.f the body is patched together with yur budget, you will have to use it 'as-is'. If you can combine the '46 and '53 frame, body and engine, rebuild the tranny and transfer case, you might get a running Jeep for not too much money. Not every project has to be a full restoration. If you can get something that runs and drives, good on you.

Do NOT FORGET that there are other systems that will need attention - brakes, etc. This could cost a bit more.
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
Mike S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2018 at 3:45am
If the body is patched together with your budget you will have to use it 'as-is'. If you can combine the '46 and '53 frame, body and engine, rebuild the tranny and transfer case, you might get a running Jeep for not too much money. Not every project has to be a full restoration. If you can get something that runs and drives, good on you.

Do NOT FORGET that there are other systems that will need attention - electrical, brakes, axles, etc. This could cost a bit more.

Edited by Mike S - 21 June 2018 at 3:50am
'47 CJ2A -- #114542
Warn FF D41 rear
Lock-Right locker
11" drum brakes
Dual master cylinder
T90C Transmission
16 X 6 Jeep truck wheels
Cooper STT Pro tires
 Post Reply Post Reply