Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Got My Jeep

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cgollihar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Got My Jeep
    Posted: 15 Oct. 2018 at 1:59am
Hello Brothers:  I finally got my Jeep.  It's a 47 MB with a replacement tub.  225 Dauntless, Sm420, and T20 transfer case.   Engine number 991503

I had the carburator rebuilt last week,  and want to do a tune up on it.  The guy's at NAPA don't know jack crap.  I worked at NAPA about 30yrs ago and used a book, seems like nobody knows how anymore.

Anyways, what I have is a Delco distributor, window on the cap, and flat rotor.  Looks like the points/ condenser are separate unit.  I thought they were a one piece???  How the heck do you get to the points with the advance weights in the way???  

I looked at ROCK AUTO, and I'm seeing DR438 as the cap, is this right?  Any ideas on the right parts i'd appreciate.  

Chris
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct. 2018 at 2:38am
Originally posted by Cgollihar Cgollihar wrote:

The guy's at NAPA don't know jack crap. 

I'd probably cut 'em a little slack. Their info probably doesn't show a V6 in a '47 MB....(or a '47 MB for that matter)

Edited by rocnroll - 15 Oct. 2018 at 2:40am
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
davis53 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davis53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct. 2018 at 2:56am
Points with the condenser is a modification that the point manufactures made.  I am not sure if Delco had a distributor with a point condenser in one unit.  But aftermarket does. 

You can reach around the advance unit with a screwdriver to replace the points, it is no issue.  You may have to bump the starter to reach the screw.   The point base is not adjustable for the point gap.  You adjust the point gap with a allen wrench and it can be done through the distributor window while the engine is running, if you have a dwell meter.

I would not waste my time with replacing the points, instead install a Pertronix unit that replaces the points.  The engines run smoother with the Pertronix unit and is very reliable.

Cgollihar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cgollihar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct. 2018 at 3:45am
Rocnroll,  Yeah, the counter guy was clueless.  I told him 69 jeep cj5, and he had issues finding that.  I get good help when Eric is there, he's the Manager, but doesn't work weekends....  I tried the NAPAONLINE app, and couldn't get the right cap.  

Chris
Cgollihar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cgollihar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct. 2018 at 3:59am
Davis53,  I'm thinking about going with the Pertronix kit.  I heard it's about $90, and looks pretty solid.  I read the install instructions, and the ballast has to be bypassed.  How is this done?  Do you just run one wire from the coil on neg side and one on pos side?  

chris
Cgollihar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cgollihar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct. 2018 at 4:29am
Looked again on NAPAONLINE, and found the correct cap and rotor.  It's Echlin RR 185, and RR 217.  However the points and condenser are another issue....  Shows two different point/cond sets, and two others that use separate condensers.  Reminds me of doing a tune up on my old ski boat.  HAHA

Chris
davis53 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davis53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct. 2018 at 4:33am
don't waste your time on points go electronic.  The Pert is just a two wire hookup, and lasts forever. 
davis53 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davis53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct. 2018 at 4:36am
To bypass the ballast, remove it and connect the wires together
Cgollihar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cgollihar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct. 2018 at 4:50am
Davis,  I think there's two wires on one side, and one on the other.  Im not sure.  So, just use a butt connector to terminate ends?

On the Pertronix,  is it just one wire to each side of the coil?  

Chris

davis53 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davis53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct. 2018 at 4:59am
yes the Pert has the wires to each side of the coil, and that is it.  For the ballast remove it and I would use a small nut and bolt to join it and wrap with tape, in case your want to put the points back in. 

The Pert has detailed instructions, my wife could install it.  Just get buy it and install. 
Cgollihar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cgollihar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct. 2018 at 4:24pm
Davis, that's awesome!  Maybe I could do it, but I'm not sure.  Haha..  gonna order the cap and rotor first,  and go from there.   Filled it up with gad and the sending unit gaskets leaking. Wife was complaining the whole time in the thing.  So seat removal first, then gaskets.   My jeep has a tank under each seat, so doing em both...

Chris
NCtoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCtoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct. 2018 at 8:53pm
I have bought points with the combined condenser as well as separate points and condenser for my Delco. I like them separate better, since condensers are so crappy now and have to be replaced more often. That being said, I have no real desire to convert to a Pertronix system. I keep an extra condenser or two and have no problems.
Cgollihar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cgollihar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct. 2018 at 9:24pm
NC toy: yeah, it doesn't matter either way for me.  I like the fact that I don't have to mess with the points anymore. I'm going to change cap and rotor first,  and see what happens..  I also noticed the vacuum advance is plugged,  so I'll be hooking up that as well..

Chris

Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct. 2018 at 12:11am
  In the late 60's/early 70's, it was found that the wire to the condenser was the source of some radio static or something. A two-piece shield was devised to cover the points and condenser to solve this problem. A lot of them were left out with no customer complaints. Big smile Later, the condenser was mounted directly to the points set (GM/Delco Remy called this the "Uniset") and there was no wire anymore. More shields were thrown away, as they were no longer needed, and wouldn't fit over the Uniset anyway. Now the shields are in demand by the restorers and I wish I had a dozen or so. Ouch   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Cgollihar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cgollihar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct. 2018 at 3:23am
Bruce,  that makes a lot of sense.  I remember people talking about radio noise from plug wires that were metal core...  used to work in auto parts for about five years. 

Chris 
 Post Reply Post Reply