Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grampa's Cj2a

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 40>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2018 at 1:55pm
Mike,
I started calling all my local Jeep contacts. One happened to have see a recent add in the local classifieds for front and rear Jeep axles for $150. Called the guy. He wasn’t really sure what he had. Drove over to his place. He had a d25 and a d41, both complete, along with an empty D27 housing and a couple of extra front drive axles for the long side. 
I took the d25 for a spare and the d41 to replace mine along with the extra front axles for $120. He was happy to get them out of his shed and I had what I needed along with spares.
My garage is really starting to fill up with junk. Going to have to take some of this broken stuff to the scrapper.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep. 2018 at 2:19pm
I wrote you a note but it seems to be off following my dead cat. I broke an axle on the service road heading into Avon CO. Ruined my trip to Moab. I destroyed a Powerlock in Farmington NM. I didn't know you can break 8 grade 8 bolts? I found parts and made it home.
uncamonkey
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep. 2018 at 4:03am
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

..... Moab here we come!....
You’re going to Moab?... I’m SO jealous!!

Don't be jealous, be envious.  It's a little less irrational.  LOL

You've been to Moab how many times this year now?  You could always go again on your way home from FCT, right?  Big smile
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2018 at 4:16pm
So in recent times I have been having some troubles with low speed loping and dying.  i have always suspected that my distributor might be a bit on the worn out side. Wobbly shaft and questionable return action on the advance weights. i pulled it out and decided to send it of to Kurt at Willys Distributors for a refresh. Here's a little video I took on the way to the post office.

After Kurt got it and looked at it, here's what he sent me.

"Hello Stan,

I took your distributor apart today. I am amazed that you were able to do the things that you have posted on the CJ2A Page with the conditions your distributor is in!

I put your distributor on my machine, the dwell was off by 10 degrees and I could not get a steady timing advance curve out of it.
The tension on the weight springs was adjusted almost to the point were they hit the inside of the body.

Now the bad news. The shaft is shot along with the cam stop plate. The upper portion of the shaft that the cam stop plate pivots on is bad. Do you have a donor distributor? I have one used shaft that I think is ok, but will not know until I reassemble and test run.

I should know something this coming week.

Tkx,

Kurt"

I'm sending him another distributor that he can rob parts from and he is going to fix me up. i am really looking forward to waking up a few more of those Go Devil horses that have been sleeping all this time due to this questionable dizzy.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2018 at 5:22pm
I have the same problem with my GP dizzy. I hope Kurt can bring it back to life as well!!
Jay

Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2018 at 5:41pm
When you get it back it’ll be all nice and shiny. Working like it’s supposed to. You may not want to put it back on the Jeep. You will though. And will be very happy with the results.
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2018 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by Mike F Mike F wrote:

When you get it back it’ll be all nice and shiny. Working like it’s supposed to. You may not want to put it back on the Jeep. You will though. And will be very happy with the results.

We'll see how shiny it is. i told Kurt that I didn't need the full showroom fresh rebuild, just a repair. This thing gets run and having his full on, just like new redo, would be lipstick on a pig. Smile
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2018 at 5:59pm
That just goes to show you how bad these little Go Devils want to run!

When you get it back from the rebuild, you can check it out with your “new” Sun dwell/tach meter.👍🏻
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2018 at 6:00pm
So do I understand correctly that new distributor shafts are not available?  Your only resort is to find a better used one?
1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2018 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by ndnchf ndnchf wrote:

So do I understand correctly that new distributor shafts are not available?  Your only resort is to find a better used one?

That's my understanding, but you could ask Kurt. He's Willys Distributors here on thecj2apage.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2018 at 6:58pm
Stan, have you considered switching to electronic ignition? Might be the opportune time to do it.
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2018 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by LuzonRed47 LuzonRed47 wrote:

Stan, have you considered switching to electronic ignition? Might be the opportune time to do it.

I've thought about it, but one of my personality quirks is that I want to run this as close to stock as I can and still get up a rock wall. 6 volt, points, stock axles and suspension ....

Probably dumb, but as my friend Popeye says:

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2018 at 7:57pm
Plus spare points and condenser are pretty easy and cheap to carry on the trail.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec. 2018 at 8:53pm
Stan, I totally get your desire to keep GJ close to stock. The "slope of modifications" from an electronic ignition to a lift kit, Swampers, and an injected V8 can be slippery indeed...I've kept the points & condenser in my Go-Devil as well. Keep us posted on the diagnosis/fix of your distributor.
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec. 2018 at 2:36am
I got my distributor back from Kurt. I didn’t have him do the full on restoration, just the “repair.”

Here’s a little video of what it looks like.

I put it back in tonight and boy does it idle nice now.

One casualty of the job. My new vintage Sun dwell/tach was all hooked up and setting on the fender while I the Jeep it warm up. I turned away to put away some tools and the dwell/tack fell to the floor and of course, it won’t work now. 

So very happy with the dizzy, sad about the meter.SmileCry
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2019 at 6:55am
For a few years now I have been feeling that my rear end was getting a little saggy, on my Jeep, I mean. My own rear end has been saggy for more than a few years.

Also ever since a certain incident on the Black Hills Run a few years ago, one of my rear spring packs has been short a couple of the shortest leaves. So I finally decided to do something about it.

I ordered up a set of Crown springs from Summit. They have the best prices and free shipping. I’ve had them for a while, but have been too wimpy to get out in the garage when the outside temps are in the teens and 20s. It’s not really warmer now, but I was starting to feel bad about myself, just sitting in the couch and my wife is starting to find projects for me, so today I headed for the garage and got started on it.

Here’s a pic off my old spring sitting on top of the new one. You can see that there is 2-3 inches more arc on each end of the new spring. Maybe that will get me up over a few more of those rocks I hang up on. 

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2019 at 8:16am
Stan, I just don’t know what to think....

Rollbar, bikini top, different tires for different landscapes, and now a “lift kit”?!?   My head is spinning🤪
Where does this madness stop?  Next thing I know, GJ will have 2 more cylinders and power steering.🥴
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2019 at 8:26am
Hah. I’ve been running these STOCK replacement Crown springs on the front forever. Just trying to get my rear end back to STOCK height. Maybe then I won’t have to be quite as creative on some types of obstacles.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 40>