Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grampa's Cj2a

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 40>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2019 at 1:56am
I finished up installing my replacement springs tonight. I thought I’d post up some pictures of the difference they make on my belly clearance. These will settle some I’m sure, but here’s the before and after.

Here’s the skid plate before measurements. A little bit over 10 inches.

This is the skid plate after pic. Didn’t pick up a lot. Looks like almost an inch at the belly skid plate.

Jpet made these super cool u-bolt plates. They make a lot more clearance below the springs and protect the ends of the u-bolts pretty nicely.

Here’s the before picture of my previous u-bolt skid plates. Looks like about 9 1/4 inches.

The after picture with the new plates.  Looks like about 10 3/8. 

So it looks like I picked up almost an inch from the springs at the belly and even though the axles are in the same spot, I added. A little more that an inch of clearance at the u-bolt plates. 

Yeah!!!

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
aboyandhisdog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aboyandhisdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2019 at 2:01am
That is a very cool design for the U-bolt problem.  Jeff should be making a trip to the patent office on those bad boys.
Tom
1949 CJ3A

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2019 at 2:36am
Originally posted by aboyandhisdog aboyandhisdog wrote:

That is a very cool design for the U-bolt problem.  Jeff should be making a trip to the patent office on those bad boys.
I got the idea from Metcalf.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2019 at 3:09am
Yeah, Mr Metcalf has a pretty detailed description of those in his "Rango" build thread, but the ones you made for Stan look really well done Jeff.
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2019 at 5:41am
Originally posted by bobevans bobevans wrote:

Yeah, Mr Metcalf has a pretty detailed description of those in his "Rango" build thread, but the ones you made for Stan look really well done Jeff.

+1
mikec4193 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikec4193 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan. 2019 at 11:02pm
I had to look to at those pics to figure out that bracket on the leaf springs...looks like a guard for the u-bolts....how cool is that...yes patent office for sure...yes Mr. Metcalf is one amazing fabricator...

I remember swapping to new leafs on one of my projects...the lift was amazing...It will probably ride a bit harsher tho...until things settle down.

Grampas Jeep never looked so good...

MikeC

I am the squirrel....
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2019 at 3:42am
The winter tinkering continues.

I wrote a note and posted a video in a thread in the Tech Q&A forum about the new Omix-ADA radiator that I am installing to try and solve the overheating problems that I have had since day one with Grampa’s Jeep. I’ll post reviews and updates on the radiator in that thread.

While removing the radiator I noticed that the grill was a little loose and rattely. Upon closer inspection I discovered that both the tabs on the lower corners of the grill that hold it to the frame were broken off. One was entirely gone and one was bolted to the frame but broken off from the grill. Only the bolt in the middle bottom of the grill and the bolts to the fenders kept the grill on at all.

So I pulled the grill off and worked on fixing it. 

For the tab that was missing, I cut a chunk out of a fire extinguisher bracket that was in the back of my pickup when I bought it, but I am not using.

Got the old piece and the cut piece welded in, ground sort of smooth and chucked some paint on there. They don’t look great, especially the cut piece but no one but you will ever see them. 

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2019 at 4:30am
Next thing I found while the grill and radiator were off.
A couple of years ago after my rollover accident and the unfolding of Grampa’s Jeep from its balled up state, I was just finishing up getting ready to call it a finished job and put the jeep on the trailer in preparation for our first trip to the Rubicon, when I noticed some extra movement in the steering and found the source to be the frame cross brace tube was broken away from the frame. I did a quick and dirty weld job on it and headed out.

Well... here’s what I found the other day ...

Did some grinding and some pulling with ratchet straps. In this pic it’s not totalliy pulled together yet and not totally ground out yet, but it’s getting there.

I got it pulled together and welded up. Forgot to take any intermediate pictures. I then thought that if my terrible welding broke once, it could probably do it again and maybe I should do a little reinforcement. 

I cut a piece of 1/8 inch strap and welded it to to the frame rail and across to the tube. Hopefully this will give it a little more strength without making it too stiff during flexing when I hit those occasional speed bumps at the mall.

I did a terrible job of cleaning this up and making it pretty but it’s done. In real life it doesn’t look as bad as in this picture.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2019 at 5:32am
You know you are going the right direction but you know Jeeps are fickle. It doesn't seem to matter how old they are. They all require attention. You can have a list of things you need to work on and spend days doing it. Stand up to wipe your hands and say "I'm done". You know that you will be back under it within a week.
uncamonkey
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2019 at 11:31am
speed bumps at the mall... towing parade floats... g-kid runs for ice cream...

Who sipes their tires for a trip to the mall? LOL

Edited by mbullism - 18 Jan. 2019 at 11:33am
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2019 at 1:36pm
Stan, you're lucky--that could have been a catastrophic failure at the wrong place out on the trail. Looking at the photos, you have a lot of weld blobbage around that critical frame junction, but did you have sufficient weld penetration? While I'm fairly proficient with my 220V Mig welder on sheet metal in non-load locations, I pay a certified welder to gas weld or stick weld any frame repairs needed on my 2A. That provides huge piece of mind in terms of safety.
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2019 at 6:06pm
That looks like a warranty issue to me.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2019 at 5:14am
I got my new Omix-ADA radiator installed. The fan was pretty close to the shroud at the bottom. It’s difficult to see in this picture, but that orange fan blade is about 1/8 inch from the shroud.

I decided to look at the motor mounts. I thought that with the cross member separating from the frame about 1/4 inch and the frame side rail spreading that much, the engine may have settled down between the rails a little.
Turned out one of the motor mounts was broken.

I got some new mounts and then using my best Bubba sense, I stacked a couple of washers on top of the mount stud in hopes of moving the engine and fan up a bit. It seemed to do the trick as now there is about 1/2 inch of clearance at the bottom.

Buttoned it all up and ran it. Temp never got above the thermostat setting of 160 degrees. 

We’ll have to wait and see how it dies when the temps are in the 90s instead of the 39s.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan. 2019 at 10:57am
Stan, the best fix for that cross tube is a triangle plate welded in front of the tube to the inside of the frame rail. Triangulation is the strongest. Bad part is it will ruin your "flex". LOL  You can only mangle steel so many times and then it's time for new. Perhaps a rubber Jeep with titanium drag points. I can still hear in my mind you guys in Hal John's. Bang!, Crash, Bong, Whirrrr, Smash, Caboom. Easy to tell in the underbrush your location by sound. LOL Oilly
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
BDouglas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BDouglas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2019 at 1:55am
Stan, Your u-bolt plates are really slick! The extra ground clearance will sure come in handy. How did you mount your shocks?
Billy
1949 CJ3A
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2019 at 2:51am
Originally posted by BDouglas BDouglas wrote:

Stan, Your u-bolt plates are really slick! The extra ground clearance will sure come in handy. How did you mount your shocks?

Jeff welded the shock mount stud up higher in the plate. I loose a couple inches of shock travel on the top. I don’t think it will come into play much but I need to measure it out. Maybe I’ll do that tomorrow. If I do I’ll report it here.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2019 at 3:03am
It helps that the shock is on an angle so even though the pin might be a couple inches higher, your not actually loosing 2” of shock travel.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan. 2019 at 4:06am
I see links and coils coming soon!! Lol!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 40>