Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grampa's Cj2a

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 40>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep. 2020 at 4:02am
Originally posted by Nothing Special Nothing Special wrote:

Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

.... Jeff took it an extra step and....

That's a phrase that could get worn out here!

And I mean that as a very high compliment!

NO doubt!!!!

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2020 at 1:16am
Our first time out to the full week of The Fall Color Tour turned out to be a bit of a struggle for us, some of it self inflicted.
Grampa’s Jeep had a hard time running on our climb up Pearl Pass. Finally we got to the top.

After this picture was taken we starte down and didn’t get 100 yards before the engine quit. We ended up on a string behind Heff and Bam Bam, something like 19 miles on the brakes so I didn’t run over the strap or crash into Bam Bam pretty much wiped out my brakes. I drove the rest of the week with a very low, three pump brake pedal. 

Long story to lead up to the fact that I just finished replacing the brake shoes on all four corners. I’ve got some more brake pedal now.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2020 at 1:33am
Next issue at FCT was the refusal to run. I think this was a combination of a couple of things. The feul pump was not delivering much volume. With help from many hands and fuel pump contributions from several we got a good stream a fuel getting up to the carb. Went for  a test drive and engine cut out at about half throttle. Joe Friday and some others pitched in and we got a dizzy tune up. Vacuum check and numbers were good on dwell and rpm. Test run again, still struggles above half throttle. Some one suggested clogged air cleaner. I didn’t think so because I regularly change the oil on the oil bath cleaner but tried a test run with the air horn off. Ran perfect, 
Pulled the air cleaner off the firewall. It was clean inside but the air louvers on the back were totally plugged up with red Moab dirt! Dumb mistake but lesson learned.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct. 2020 at 6:39am
Third problem, altitude sickness. Grampa’s Jeep did not want to run above 10,000 ft or so. We’d be driving along fine, suddenly the engine would sputter and die. Seemed to be some sort of vapor lock. I have never had this problem before this year. I had it some this summer when we were in Ouray on Imogene. Water on the fuel pump and putting the hood up at stops For cooling helped. We got to the top and had no trouble coming down. At the FCT, When it quit, I just parked it and jumped in with Jeff. Upon our return down, it started right up and drove out fine. 

I decided to throw some money at this and see if it would help.

1st, In my rollover accident a few years ago my fuel tank got caved in pretty badly. I straightened it out the best I could but always wondered if something might have been damaged inside. I seem to “run out of gas” when there is still a gallon or two in the tank. So I ordered a new tank. When it arrived I cut the top off the old one to look inside.

1st two pics are the damaged tank before I cut it.

After cutting the top off, I really didn’t find any glaring problems. The j-hook pick up was slightly bent. The bend doesn’t really show in these pictures. Also it looks like it doesn’t get as close to the bottom of the tank as it could. 

I couldn’t really see a problem with the joint, but my vision is not so good.

2nd - I bought a new fuel line set from Walcks. There had been some rubbing on the old one. I couldn’t see any leaks but wondered if maybe there might be a pin hole or two that was allowing air into the system.

3rd - I ordered some heat shield tape from Summit and wrapped the fuel line with it everywhere I could get to. The sticky side of the heat shield tape was not very sticky so I wrapped the ends with foil duct tape to keep them from unraveling.

Coming out of the tank is a spot that is pretty close to the exhaust pipe.

Along the frame before the pump.

From the pump to the filter/carb.

I’m not super confident Confident that all this will make a difference, but I felt like I had to try something.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2021 at 4:26am
Spent the cutting the heart out of Grampa’s Jeep.
I’ve got an engine at the machine shop getting a refresh. Hopefully it gets back in time for EJS.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
TateC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TateC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2021 at 6:59am
How many times have you pulled the engine out of GJ? LOL
Tate Christensen
1941 Ford GP #9687
1943 Willys MB #263100
1944 Ford GPW #234613
1945 Willys CJ2A #10226
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb. 2021 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by TateC TateC wrote:

When you’re a sloppy mechanic you get to do stuff multiple times.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb. 2021 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

Originally posted by TateC TateC wrote:

When you’re a sloppy mechanic you get to do stuff multiple times.

Stan, I would consider it training. You never know it may one day become an Olympic event LOL
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2021 at 8:21pm
My neighbor is the best mechanic I have ever met though his real job is managing a design team that does engine and transmission design work.  He had his 292 and SM465 in and out of his truck at least 3 times after rebuilding both. Perfectionists are like that. 
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Mud Hen"
The less the Power the More the Force
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb. 2021 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by drm101 drm101 wrote:

My neighbor is the best mechanic I have ever met though his real job is managing a design team that does engine and transmission design work.  He had his 292 and SM465 in and out of his truck at least 3 times after rebuilding both. Perfectionists are like that. 

Hah! Perfectionism is not my problem. 
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2021 at 11:00pm
AS described in this thread that I hijacked, I have an issue with my steering bell crank. 
The bracket that holds the pin that the bell crank pivots on is hogged out and so the pin wobbles and causes crazy steering wheel play. Hopefully you can see it in this little clip.

After some thought and discussion I decided to change out the bracket for the later style with the bell crank that points up. I got this nice piece from Bob W. 

Since my welding is pathetic, I dragged the jeep to my cousin's house. He is a professional welder. 

We got the old bracket ground off and the new one clamped on.

And he did a grand job of gluing in on there.

While we were messing with metal and welders, we ground off the tow bar mounts that were always catching on rocks and busting my shins.  
Then we built a couple of recovery points on the front bumper in the place of the tow bar mounts. 

Edited by smfulle - 18 Feb. 2021 at 2:45pm
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2021 at 3:28pm
Here’s a link to a short video in our beloved Photocpbucket that shows what my steering play is like after fitting all the new stuff.    

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2021 at 3:35pm
Forgot to say that right now there are no later style bell cranks anywhere in the country. It seems that the place that repops them in India made the last batch with the balls going the wrong way. COVID has messed up the supply chain so the vendors have been having trouble getting correct ones. I found a worn used one and Joe DeYoung refurbished it for me.  
Here’s a pic of the redone one from Joe and the new pin and bearings.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
GrandpasOld50 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrandpasOld50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2021 at 10:12pm
Stan - 

I am pretty sure I have a brand new later style bell crank sitting in my garage.  I purchased it 20+ years ago I did not realize it was the wrong one because I never tried to install it.  If you would like it, PM me.  I have no use for it.  
'50 3a with f-head motor
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar. 2021 at 11:05pm
Originally posted by GrandpasOld50 GrandpasOld50 wrote:

Stan - 

I am pretty sure I have a brand new later style bell crank sitting in my garage.  I purchased it 20+ years ago I did not realize it was the wrong one because I never tried to install it.  If you would like it, PM me.  I have no use for it.  

Thanks. I’m good.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar. 2021 at 6:48am
Finally got the rebuilt motor back from the shop. Now to get it in and a few hours on it before Easter Jeep Safari.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
nrspence View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nrspence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2021 at 4:52am
Motor looks sharp. Hope the new shop built you a runner. 
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar. 2021 at 12:17pm
Stan, after you get your new engine up and running re-torque the head. It helps insure you don't blow a head gasket. Very nice welding done on your steering. Oilly
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 40>