Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grampa's Cj2a

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3435363738 40>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outlw21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2021 at 11:50pm
i am not sure, but the orange fan with the offset may be for a later jeep (CJ5?) with the F head.
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec. 2021 at 5:56pm
Finally getting ready to bolt Brennan Metcalf's special skidplate  shaped from metal made from the same material as the S on Superman's chest. 
I wanted to have a little stouter than stock crossmember to bolt it to. I'm always bending my stock one beyond recognition. 
My cousin, the welder, helped me box this one in.
 We ran straps across the open U to keep the required bolt holes upen. The most problematic spot on the driver's side was entirely boxed. 

On the top front and rear faces we laid a strap across lengthwise to triagulate that spot.

We may have made the skid plate bolt hole area a concentrated weak spot. We shall see. 

Hope to get this crossmember and the new skid plate installed next week. 

I might have to go snow wheeling though, so that might delay it.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec. 2021 at 2:17pm
Yes definitely go snow wheeling…as long as you post pics Clap
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec. 2021 at 9:55pm
Snow wheeling tomorrow.

I got Brennan Metcalf 's skid plate installed today on my beefed up crossmember. If you look closely at the first picture you can see how the old cross member is pushed back on the right side.
In the 2nd and 3d pictures you can see how the old one has collapsed some at the bottom front. My three stock skid plates are also bent ski shape in the front half.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2022 at 8:02pm
For years now I have had a dead spot in the carburetor just off of idle. I have more or less learned to live with it by fluttering the accelerator when starting from a stop. It makes it a bit tricky to slow crawl up an obstacle because that just off of idle is the sweet spot for that. I tried a few fixes. I cleaned out the idle jet which did improve the idle. I also tried to clean out the slot in the throttle throat. The manual said that might help. It didn’t.
A friend came across some NOS WOs so I thought I would try a different carb. This carburetor had a little different linkage set up. Instead of the loop for the hand throttle, it had this throttle stop screw circled in red.

For comparison, here’s the original with the hand throttle loop/tab circled in red.

I like having the hand throttle so I put the one fabrication skill I have (fabbing flat steel out of flat steel) to work and made this little tab to put in place of the throttle stop screw.

Once the carb was on, I took it for a test run. It worked great. It was weird trying to pull away without fluttering the pedal to keep it from dying.

Edited by smfulle - 28 June 2022 at 8:03pm
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2022 at 8:16pm
Damn impressive fab skills, Jpet better watch his back.  LOL
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2023 at 10:52am
My seat covers and cushions have been getting pretty spotty looking and uncomfortable lately.

I pretty much have been sitting on the plywood pan for most of my riding.
So I decided to give the seats from Big Willy Jeep a try, 

Here’s the after shot.

I’ll give them a true test in a week when I head out to the Winter 4x4 Hambiree at Sand Hollow.
I’m pretty happy with them so far. 
It took me about an hour to install them, but I had a few complications getting my old seat cushions off. If you have a bare frame, I bet you could install them in 1/2 hour or so.

These are the version that Ian from Big Willy Jeep calls the “Fat Boy Slim” seat back option that have a thinner seat back cushion, giving one with a larger lower abdomen (you know who you are) a bit more room between steering wheel and belly.

I made this installation video.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Rockgod1619 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rockgod1619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2023 at 11:31am
I have his seat cushions on Papa Doc. They're very comfortable. Pretty stiff foam, but great for these old jeeps!
'51 CJ3a - Papa Doc (51829)
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2023 at 12:22pm
The thinner back cushion is great for those of us with a wide girth. I have been driving my CJ2A without a back cushion for a couple of years, which sort of beats me up on rough ground.

The bottom cushions on that Jeep are just about completely gone too.

I had some canvas covers custom made by ODCLOTH which I am getting ready to install. The back covers are made thin like used on WW2 Jeeps, so 2" foam will work. The bottom cushions are made to use springs for a M38.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
Scratch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scratch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2023 at 4:30pm
Thanks for the review.  It looks like towards the end of your video, there’s a shot that shows that even with your body in the seat, the cushion hasn’t squished down much at all.  I know those cushions are 3” thick and are a dual density construction. I’ve been wanting to sit in those seats to see just how squished they’d be, now I know a little bit better.  
I’m going to make my own seat covers but have been looking for places to get my foam.  I really want to go with the dual density bottoms like BWJ has.  I’m waiting for them to get back to me on a price but it’s been a couple of days.  Hopefully they’ll get back to me soon as I’m ready to start sewing.

I’m debating on getting the fat boy slim option as well since I have two spare tires on my jeeps, one on the side and one above my belt.  I’ll probably go with it since I can always add a bit of foam if I need to, and his regular back thickness is 3” which I feel is too thick, especially for a guy like me.
43 GPW 93487 Blk
44 GPW 230283 OD
46 CJ2A 50100 Tan
46 CJ2A 77632 Wht
47 CJ2A 141681 Grn
48 CJ2A 156240 Red/Yel
48 CJ2A "Lefty" 181341 Red
61 CJ5 123120 Tan
03 TJ Inca Gld
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2023 at 5:00pm
I haven't sat in the seat more that a couple minutes yet. Ian tells me that the foam should relax a little bit and sit a bit lower. Time will tell. If it stays high like it currently does, I might want to a bit thinner bottom foam. 
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2023 at 7:28pm
It's a safe bet that the cushion will squish down before it will get thicker. Wink
1946 CJ2A 14098
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan. 2023 at 7:31pm
Especially if you don't put the spoon down once in a while. 
Dang....did I say that out loud? Big smile

Edited by Ron D - 06 Jan. 2023 at 7:37pm
1951 M38
1951 M100
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan. 2023 at 9:37pm
I bashed and bent quite a few stock oil pans.
My friend Sammy Sievert came up with this method of helping me armor a stock pan. 

Edited by smfulle - 09 Jan. 2023 at 9:38pm
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2023 at 5:31am
LOL, You're gonna need a larger engine just to move the extra weight of that oil pan. That pan looks well made for sure. Armored car style. 
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2023 at 8:38am
Holy Toledo, Stan -- that "Sammy Pan" looks IED-proof! Nice looking TIG welds. The steel looks plenty thick. 

Now, of course, your 2A Page fans expect a full Moab road test report....
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2023 at 9:18am
Originally posted by LuzonRed47 LuzonRed47 wrote:

Holy Toledo, Stan -- that "Sammy Pan" looks IED-proof! Nice looking TIG welds. The steel looks plenty thick. 

Now, of course, your 2A Page fans expect a full Moab road test report....

Sammy is a talented guy.
I'm headed to Sand Hollow next week for the Winter 4x4 Jamboree. It should get a good test there.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan. 2023 at 10:33am
That looks well thought out and well made.
1946 CJ2A 14098
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3435363738 40>