Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grampa’s Jeep and Pepe on Metal Masher

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grampa’s Jeep and Pepe on Metal Masher
    Posted: 18 Oct. 2018 at 11:56pm
Here in Utah the teachers union has a convention this week every year on Thursday an Friday so all the schools close and call it fall break. I’m taking advantage of the break by NOT going to the convention but going to Moab instead. 

I put my tent up in the rain last night, and it pretty much rained all night, but it let up this morning and off we went to the Trail called Metal Masher.

I tried to make a crazy person face for this picture. Turns out my regular face IS a crazy person face. 

This is a fun trail with some tough obstacles.

Lots of videos out there with giant JKs struggling on this one. I did too. Got going up it and the wet tires with sand on them caused me to backslide a little and my draw bar jammed into the rock base. Couldn’t get up, couldn’t go back. Ted went around and gave me a little tug and I was up. Maybe on a dry day I could get it.

View from the cliff top. Low hanging clouds made it a unique experience.

This is the trail just before the Widow Maker obstacle. We stopped there and walked up to the obstacle.

Here’s the Widow Maker. Decided to pass on it today. Maybe next time.

More adventures tomorrow. 

Edited by smfulle - 26 Oct. 2018 at 7:28pm
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2018 at 12:42am
Ahh, Stan’s livin’ it up isn’t he?

Have fun my friend and take lots more pics for us😉
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2018 at 1:19am
It's a fun trail. I had people ask me how I made it up. I know how to drive.
uncamonkey
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct. 2018 at 4:28am
Love the photos and story Stan!!

So jealous that on a "day off" we can not take a trip to Moab. LOL
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2018 at 4:14pm
Very cool trip Stan! Glad Ted was able to make it too!! Any more pictures?
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2018 at 4:25pm
Ted  has some video i need to get from him and I've got a little gopro stuff that, if it's any good, I'll put something together.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct. 2018 at 5:17pm
I have this little video of the view from the top of the cliff and the view you get to see as a payoff for the climb.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct. 2018 at 2:57am
"Pretty awesome" indeed!  Thumbs Up
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
dluber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dluber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2018 at 12:38am
Stan,
   Looks like fun and thanks for sharing the photos.

Dave
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct. 2018 at 1:05am
Google the words "Willys CJ2A + Legendary" and you'll likely get "Grandpa's Jeep" as a result. I never tire of seeing that battered little beauty scrabbling on rock or trail somewhere. Thanks as always Stan for sharing and I hope to meet you one of these days. 
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct. 2018 at 7:26pm
Ted (Rock Cred) made this video of our run up Metal Masher. 

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
wheelie View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct. 2018 at 12:36am
Nice video. Alway fun to watch. I was getting a kick out of watching the relationship between the hood and fender on Ted's jeep while filming from the fender. 
berettajeep View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berettajeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct. 2018 at 12:40am
It must be depressing Stan to have no cool areas nearby to drive Grampa's Jeep
jbjeeps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbjeeps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct. 2018 at 1:16am
Excellent Stan, thanks for posting!
1970 CJ5 Dauntless, 4.88 (His)
1948 CJ2A Dauntless, 3.54 (Hers)
1948 CJ2A "Targhee", yup, still under construction but getting closer
Instagram: old_money_2a

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct. 2018 at 2:25am
I'm surprised to see standing water there.  Apparently, nobody has ever gone to Moab except for EJS through the summer before.  At least, not judging by the pics I've seen...  Wacko  
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct. 2018 at 4:07am

Originally posted by berettajeep berettajeep wrote:

It must be depressing Stan to have no cool areas nearby to drive Grampa's Jeep   
Well. Moab is 5 hours from home so it's not like I can go EVERY weekend.

Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

I'm surprised to see standing water there.  Apparently, nobody has ever gone to Moab except for EJS through the summer before.  At least, not judging by the pics I've seen...  Wacko   

This ride was on Thursday. It rained in Moab most of Wednesday and several days before that. It rained on me in my tent all night, but stopped in time for our ride in the morning. If it had rained that much in the Midwest we probably would not have gotten out of the parking lot, but Moab's hot dry summer made the red sand just suck up the rain like a sponge. There was some standing water and the sand was wet and stuck to your tires making climbs that I could usually scramble right up, close to impossible to get up. 
It was a different , more challenging Moab, but still really fun.

Edited by smfulle - 28 Oct. 2018 at 10:31pm
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct. 2018 at 1:51pm
I love that camera angle and having GJ in front of you for perspective!
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct. 2018 at 9:37pm
Here's my version of the Metal Masher video. I used some of my GoPro footage. some of Ted's footage and a few stills tossed in.
I also tried a new thing this time. I did some voice overdub narration. Let me know what you think of it. Is it informative,or just distracting. I didn't put in much text but used the voice over instead.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>