Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Grampa’s Jeep Christmas snow wheeling adventure
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grampa’s Jeep Christmas snow wheeling adventure

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grampa’s Jeep Christmas snow wheeling adventure
    Posted: 03 Jan. 2022 at 2:19pm
Here’s a video made by my cousin’s son of our adventure the Tuesday after Christmas. Pretty good video even though he misspelled Grampa’s Jeep.

The snow was heavy enough that we couldn’t push it when we ground down to the ground with the chains , but would high center and be stuck. So we hooked on to the tracked 4 wheeler and that gave us just enough extra speed to stay on top. We went a long ways like that and up some pretty steep spots. Got a little “western” at times, but still fun.  In areas where the snow was not quite so deep we did very well on our own. 

Coming down the hill and headed towards the trucks the nut on the bell crank pin fell off and was lost in the snow causing a total steering failure. We pulled the bel, crank back up on the pin and held it there with a ratchet strap. I was a little worried about the set up so we hooked on to the 4wheeler agoin so that if the strap failed we would have the other rig to keep us from going off something undesirable.

Edited by smfulle - 03 Jan. 2022 at 2:23pm
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2022 at 3:15pm
Gosh that looks like a lot of fun Stan. Thanks for sharing your adventures. 
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

jhg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2022 at 11:25pm
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

...the nut on the bell crank pin fell off and was lost in the snow causing a total steering failure. We pulled the bel, crank back up on the pin and held it there with a ratchet strap. I was a little worried...

Classic.
1948 cj2a. Rebuilt L-head, steering, T90, WO 636, steering, brake lines. So far.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2022 at 10:29am
thx 4 sharing
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2022 at 12:22pm
Losing steering is no fun. At least you weren't going at highway speeds and had the ruts in the snow to keep you on the trail. I wasn't so lucky back in 1970 when I was a young pup. At highway speeds(45 mph) the bellcrank pin came out of the frame weldment and I ended up plowing through a barbed wire fence. I had to replace about one hundred feet of the farmer's fence. Thankfully I wasn't hurt and the farmer agreed to help with the fence reconstruction. (He probably wanted the job done right. )

Thanks for sharing, Stan...

Edited by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A - 04 Jan. 2022 at 12:23pm
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan. 2022 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A wrote:

Losing steering is no fun. At least you weren't going at highway speeds and had the ruts in the snow to keep you on the trail. I wasn't so lucky back in 1970 when I was a young pup. At highway speeds(45 mph) the bellcrank pin came out of the frame weldment and I ended up plowing through a barbed wire fence. I had to replace about one hundred feet of the farmer's fence. Thankfully I wasn't hurt and the farmer agreed to help with the fence reconstruction. (He probably wanted the job done right. )

Thanks for sharing, Stan...

As far as lessons go, this one was fairly painless.  
I am learning that I have probably installed the pin upside down when I switched to the later style 7/8" pin. I installed mine with the hex flange on the pin at the top of the bracket and the nylock nut at the bottom under the bell crank. After being prompted by several comments on some social media posts, I did a little more investigation and fond I should have installed the pin with the hex flange at the bottom and the nut at the top. The pinch bolt on the bracket can then hold the pin tight and making it very difficult and unlikely that the nylock nut on the top win wiggle off and making it impossible for the bell crank to come off the pin past the hex flange. 
Not sure what I was thinking when I first installed the pin.  

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
 Post Reply Post Reply