Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grampa's Jeep gets a little bent.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 17>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2017 at 5:56pm
Originally posted by athawk11 athawk11 wrote:

What do you think Stan?  Is the sheet metal a lost cause?  I know how much it would pain you to lose that patina.

Tim

This is my dilemma. The rusty crusty patina is part of the history and identity of this jeep. On the other hand, I could probably get another tub either used or repli-tub and get it back to trail worthiness in a matter of days. There are still lots of riding opportunities left this summer, and being in the trail getting it done is also part of this jeep's identity. I still don't know how I'm going to come out of this insurance wise, so that will dictate some of how I proceed as well.

Lots to think about while I sit here letting the painkillers do their work for the next few days
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2017 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

The rusty crusty patina is part of the history and identity of this jeep. 

In a way, the wreck is part of that same history... were it me (since really straightening all that out while keeping the patina is probably a stretch) I'd be searching out another tub with plans to swap in a workable or noteworthy piece of the original, like the dash, or grill...or (?)

Edited by mbullism - 28 June 2017 at 6:32pm
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2017 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

This is my dilemma. The rusty crusty patina is part of the history and identity of this jeep. 

I know you don't have much space around your place.  Piles of Jeep stuff probably won't fly with your neighbors.

One thought...

Send the tub off to one of these guys that loves to pound sheet metal.  Have them straighten it all back up.  For the summer season, get a replacement tub.  Once Grampa's Jeep sheet metal is back in shape, sell off the slightly used replacement sheet metal.

Tim
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2017 at 8:02pm
If you decide to attempt a body repair, the talented fellow will most likely want the tub left where it is to begin reversing the damage. They pull with hydraulics and heat and tap trying to move the metal back into position. I've seen it done. Shrinking and massaging work hardened metal is a art. One fellow repaired a Jaguar E Type Hood that was crushed on one side. He made a cardboard square grid system that was able to be taken apart and reversed. It followed the intact contours on the good side. I was stunned. Not only did it have to be perfect on the outside, it was one layered, so the inside was just as crucial. True metal art. The cost is astronomical to do it. Heal and get well Stan. John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Stev View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2017 at 8:09pm
A good paint man could work up a faded distressed paint job on a replacement tub.  Transfer the good parts to a replacement tub and wheeling it.  You could consider it refurbished.  

Does make me wound if you are going to need to get a salvage title for it going forward depending upon what the insurance company does.
Stev
1946 CJ2A Trail Jeep (The Saint), 1948 CJ2A Lefty Restored
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2017 at 8:22pm
Agreed, a talented panel beater could give you back what you had prior to the accident, pure metal and not just multiple layers of filler.

You have to be realistic at the same time and faking what it used to look like is venturing miles from how you Jeep got its look in the first place.

The accident is part of its history, now just a case of replacing the tub with an original sound one, panel beating what you have which is possible and perhaps a coat of the same colour and get it back working.

Adrian

1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2017 at 9:00pm
This is all still in the pondering stage so I appreciate everyone's input.

My cousin's husband has a body shop. I have a call in to him to see if he would be interested in giving a go at straightening what I have with no finish work. I'm not sure he'll want to, or if he is willing, if I can afford him, but that would be my fastest and most preferred way to get back on the trail. This would maintain the current patina with the addition of some more wrinkles and bumps from the accident.

I think if I went with a complete body replacement I would not try to fake the patina. What I like about patina is that it is earned over the course of many years. I have faked the patina on my replacement floors and one wheel well but,at least in my mind, that is different than trying to fake an entire paint job. I feel like then I would have a fake antique. No disrespect for anyone that nay have done this, but I don't think that would be what I would want to do.

Thanks again for the good thoughts and well wishes. 

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
binthere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote binthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2017 at 10:34pm
I see on page 1 that baja4 from Falcon Co. has a tub. I would probably go that way, and if you can or want to rebuild the old tub, you can. When the old tub is fixed, just exchange with the other one! MHO!
chuck
1953 CJ3B "a fistfull of dollars"
1949 willys jeepster "a few dollars more"
and a few other retirement toys

Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2017 at 12:16am
Stan, very sorry for your accident, it could have easily been me as I left Whitewood tired as well. Take care of yourself first, whatever path of repair you choose we will be there to help, a tub has been offered, I have a decent hood that you can have, perhaps someone here has a Right and left Fender, with that your bases are covered, Grandpas Jeep will crawl again!.

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
2/14Marine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2/14Marine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2017 at 1:58am
Stan, sorry about the accident but have to agree that this is just part of the story or legend of Grandpa's jeep. 

It says allot about the members of this site that so many have offered parts to the cause. If I have anything that can help its yours. 

I look forward to hearing the next chapter in the legend. 

Javier

Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2017 at 3:37am
Stan,sorry to hear about your accident,somebody was washing over you.take care of yourself.

Giles

Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2017 at 5:51am
As others have said, sorry about what you went through. I have parts here but they are for a 3B. I don't need 3 Jeeps sitting here smiling at me. My neighbors dogs do a good job of that. Scratch all of the dogs and make them happy. I have spent months welding and bending body parts to fit on my old MB, my 3B and my C101 (Commando). My brother thought I was an idiot but in the end, they are really my Jeeps.
uncamonkey
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2017 at 9:13am
I wouldn't replace anything that wasn't absolutely necessary and I would activate my optimistic imagination. Since the jeep still starts and runs under its own power, If I were in your shoes, I'd rest up and eat my veggies, then I'd do what ever I can with hammers, slide hammers, and come-a-long to pull out as many dents and straighten the back end out as much as possible. Then, I'd fearlessly take the jeep on the Rubicon as planned... and wheel it as is, thus restoring your mojo asap. The separated cowl would not bother me. One of the members who is going on the trip can give you a lift on an extended trailer. ...No windshield required. As a matter of fact, I'd wheel the jeep all summer that way and then pull the body off in the winter and fix it proper replacing only what is necessary ... and that would be very little. At least this winter you would have time to think it through. The work I'm talking about could be done over a weekend.

I'd also straighten the steering wheel out best I could and use it. Looks good to me and it has a story to tell.

I think you know how much support you have from your friends here and we want to see Grandpa's Jeep back on the road asap as well and get the "win". Rest up for now, but be thinking about it. That is what I would do If I were in your shoes (looking in from the outside of course).

You are very dear to us Stan! I love wheeling with you and the conversations we have. You're top notch! We all think so.
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2017 at 2:44pm
I like Jeff's theory...

Realistically speaking (have held out giving an opinion here due to the way this might be taken) but in the context of what Jeff is suggesting it should be OK to say .....

You know that what he is saying is actually the only way it is going to be......Grandpa's Jeep.

Anything else is going to be an imitation of said Jeep as you said with your patina thought.

Good luck Stan.....take it easy right now.
'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
Doug Timme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug Timme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2017 at 2:44pm
I am glad no one was seriously injured. I agree with Jeff. You might even start a new trend. If the whole patina trend is loosing steam, now everyone will want DENTina...
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2017 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by Doug Timme Doug Timme wrote:

now everyone will want DENTina...

"Dentina" I love it! I'm really leaning in this direction. I'm not sure I'm celebrity enough to start a new trend though. Maybe Grampa's Jeep is. Smile

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2017 at 7:03pm
You would be suprised how many bends and dents you can take out with a porta-power setup like this:

.... bet I could straighten those Fenders out without even removing them from the Jeep. When I get a second, I'll post some examples. 
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2017 at 7:28pm
Here is a before pic

.... have to scrounge up an after pic. 
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 17>