Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grampa's Jeep gets a little bent.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 17>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2017 at 7:43pm
Stan,
You know how I feel about Grampa's jeep.  It just wouldn't be right to do anything other than hammer out, pry, bend, tack, tie-up, or whatever you need to do to keep it just the way it is.  No aftermarket or donor tubs, fenders, cowl, etc.  It wouldn't be Grampa's jeep then.  You may OWN Grampa's jeep, but he belongs to all of us now.  You did that.  You made him a part of this flatfender community.  You can't change him now.  Whatever it takes to unwrinkle him is what you should do, even if it takes all summer. Those dents and wrinkles that won't come out will forever be a part, YOUR part, of Grampa's jeep's legacy.

Long live Grampa's jeep!
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
pjensen641 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjensen641 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2017 at 8:02pm
Im digging the porta-power, handyman jack, slide hammer, and BFH idea.  Pound it out and leave the wrinkles and drive it.

Tangent story here.  My Jeep is also "Grandpa's jeep".  When I got it out of the barn and to my place, the hood was caved in like a heavy square timber was dropped on it.  I removed the hood and laid it upside down out on my shop floor over some cardboard and 2x4's and then literally stepped in the middle of it to get it roughly back in to shape.  It came back surprisingly close.  A bit of amateur hammer and dolly work and then about 1/16" of bondo and you would never know.  In your case, i would skip the bondo.
a4cj2a77 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a4cj2a77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2017 at 9:04pm
Sounds like the evolution of Grandpa's Jeep before our very eyes. 
Phil
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2017 at 9:51pm
"No job's too tough for the man not doing it". Wink  I like the thoughts, but doing it isn't a job for the faint of heart. Stan is a determined soul, and I'll bet he will try fixing it, but he may need some serious help. My bodyshop friend has a I beam on rollers that chains off on one end and at the other end has a hydraulic operating vertical arm with a sliding ring that the pulling chain moves up and down on. There are heavy duty clamps and weld on pull tabs that work in conjunction with all this. 40 ton rated chains also. Leaving the tub on for the initial pulling etc. is important. You need to reverse the accident damage while maintaining the original mount locations and bolt holes. If you don't, you are making more work for yourself. I'll bet his body shop  cousin will echo these thoughts. It is just amazing what can be fixed. I told my bodyshop friend: "You can't fix that". He proved me completely wrong. I'm humbled by him and his 40 plus years of talent. He is finishing up 2 years of backlog and retiring. He's 70 with health problems. I believe that if I felt like Stan does, I'd go for it and fix grandpa's Jeep. It's going to take some time for both Stan and the Jeep. I think both will be back in action for sure. John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2017 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by Oilleaker1 Oilleaker1 wrote:

It's going to take some time for both Stan and the Jeep.

I guess this was why I suggested a temporary tub.  Stan is capable of great things, but without a "facility" to "facilitate" the rapid repairs, this could take a bit more time.  Especially if one's body is beat to crap.

( When I say body, I mean Stan's body...not Grampa's Jeep body )
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2017 at 3:52am
I'm not telling anyone what to do. I'm just saying what I would do if GJ were mine.  I've seen the video and the only necessary things I see to go on the Rubicon are 3 weeks of rest, a front seat, and some bungy chords. .... then I'd wait till winter for the serious stuff. 
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2017 at 4:02am
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

I'm not telling anyone what to do. I'm just saying what I would do if GJ were mine.  I've seen the video and the only necessary things I see to go on the Rubicon are 3 weeks of rest, a front seat, and some bungy chords. .... then I'd wait till winter for the serious stuff. 

I'll second that! (X2)

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2017 at 4:40am
Hi Stan
Just logged on for the first time in a while. 
Oh man I'm sorry for you and grandpas jeep!

My first thoughts..after the initial shock,are just as jpet said.
I know you will do what's right for you and grandpas jeep,because that who you are.
Enjoy the summer Clap
Joe Friday View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2017 at 3:17pm
Bungey cords are dangerous. Use ratchet straps...
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2017 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by Oilleaker1 Oilleaker1 wrote:

"No job's too tough for the man not doing it". Wink  I like the thoughts, but doing it isn't a job for the faint of heart. Stan is a determined soul, and I'll bet he will try fixing it, but he may need some serious help. My bodyshop friend has a I beam on rollers that chains off on one end and at the other end has a hydraulic operating vertical arm with a sliding ring that the pulling chain moves up and down on. There are heavy duty clamps and weld on pull tabs that work in conjunction with all this. 40 ton rated chains also. Leaving the tub on for the initial pulling etc. is important. You need to reverse the accident damage while maintaining the original mount locations and bolt holes. If you don't, you are making more work for yourself. I'll bet his body shop  cousin will echo these thoughts. It is just amazing what can be fixed. I told my bodyshop friend: "You can't fix that". He proved me completely wrong. I'm humbled by him and his 40 plus years of talent. He is finishing up 2 years of backlog and retiring. He's 70 with health problems. I believe that if I felt like Stan does, I'd go for it and fix grandpa's Jeep. It's going to take some time for both Stan and the Jeep. I think both will be back in action for sure. John

We used to call that device a Kansas Jack. It is amazing what one can do, if he knows what he's doing. But I'm afraid that if one goes to pulling on Grampa's Jeep with a Kansas Jack, the body will merely pull apart.
In the end, it boils down to what has been said many times before in discussions about (mostly) modifications - "It's Stan's jeep, and he can do whatever he wants with it." And ultimately, Stan will have to, and will, decide what to do.   BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Lemield View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lemield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2017 at 7:14pm
Stan,

Real sorry about your Jeep. I always enjoy following your adventures on this board. Glad you are OK though. Good luck with whatever you decide regarding the Jeep. Smile
Larry

1949 CJ2A "Little Stinky Green" Kubota Diesel Powered
1970 Chevy C20 454 "Big Red"
1971 Chevy K20 6.2 Diesel "Pumpkin Wagon"
2001 Mercedes CLK320
2003 Cadillac Seville
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2017 at 9:39pm
Honestly I reLly appreciate all the good wishes, ideas and offers for help. I'm still torn about this. 

I just walked around the jeep again just now. The tail light, tail gate area is really torn and folded up a lot. Not really a hammer-it-out type of fix, and the bed/wheel well area is very twisted up. My body man cousin hasn't looked at it yet. I guess a lot depends on what he tells me.

I could get a "bolts on in an hour" repli-tub kit from Willys Overland for around $4000, but that dumps all my nostalgic patina. It does get me a straight, rust free body, but then it's just like all the other repli-tub 2a's out there. 

Another thing is, I really want to take part in the Rubicon run this year and if I'm straightening thus thing myself there is no way I get it done in by the end of July. A replitub I might be able to get on in time to go. Plus I don't really want to do the body work. I'm terrible at it. 

I like jpet's idea of just doing The minimum to be able to drive it, but even that seems daunting right now when getting to the bathroom is an ordeal.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2017 at 10:23pm
Originally posted by smfulle smfulle wrote:

I like jpet's idea of just doing The minimum to be able to drive it, but even that seems daunting right now when getting to the bathroom is an ordeal.

If the options are what you just stated I hope I misinterpreted the idea that you might get a Repli-Tub on and ready to go in time for the Rubicon trip.......

Those rocks have been out there a lonnnnggggg time.....they will be there when you get ready without rushing into something.

None of my business of course just thinking out loud.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2017 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

None of my business of course just thinking out loud.

I always appreciate your loud thinking.
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
otto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2017 at 12:09am
Just looking at this through my former bodyman's lens and the tub could be roughed back into shape, with the key word being "rough". Sometimes these jobs go better than you think mostly because expectations are lower.  With the right combination of pulling and pressure in the right hands you could be back in business. 
47 CJ2A w/fuel injected boat engine
48 CJ2A
64 Ford Econoline Travelwagon
If you can't get there in a Jeep, get a motorcycle!
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2017 at 12:51am
Well, I say, I could straighten that whole tub, fenders, and hood out using straps, a come-a-long, two trees, a port-a-power, hammer/dolly set, a welder, and 2-3 days. Might not be perfect but it would look good at 20 foot. Like Oilly says, it needs to be done while it's still on the chassis.

If you really want to save the body and your cousin doesn't want the job, I'd like to take a crack at it. I'd make a trip out.....
Edit: ... oh, and slide hammer. .... and some pieces of wood.

Edited by jpet - 01 July 2017 at 12:56am
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
Jolly Rodger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jolly Rodger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2017 at 1:39am
Stan I've seen your pictures of GJ body, what does the suspension, steering, motor and trans mount and rest of the drive train look like? Make it drive able, beat the body somewhat straight and head west. I guarantee that you'll be the talk of the Rubicon.
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2017 at 11:58am
Takes a licking, and keeps on ticking! Both the Jeep and the driver. Thumbs Up  You Rubicon guys should leave a week early and have a tech session together. Jeep therapy. 
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 17>