Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Jeep Photos and Stories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grampa's Jeep Snow Wheeling in Southern Idaho

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grampa's Jeep Snow Wheeling in Southern Idaho
    Posted: 02 Jan. 2019 at 7:10am
Had a fun and interesting day in the Grampa's Jeep today. 
Since I have had bad luck with the  NDT tires in the snow, I put some fat clown tires on and loaded the jeep on the trailer and drove to Southern Idaho where I met my cousin and his daughter for some snow wheelin'. Here's the rigs we had. My 48 CJ2A, his jacked up TJ on wide axles and even fatter tires and what sort of looks like an XJ, also with fat tires. 

You can kind of see the Jeeps on the trailers here.

When we got to the trail head (actually my other cousin's front yard) to unload ithe temperature was about 12 degrees. When I tried to start Grampa's jeep, the Rotella 15-40 in the crankcase was so thick that the starter would barely turn the engine over, but wouldn't start. So we pushed it off the trailer and hooked a strap on to the TJ for a pull start. 
In the meantime I had discovered that the steering wheel wouldn't turn. The Ross box was frozen up and wouldn't budge. Well we decided to try the pull start anyway, even though I had no steering. After about a half mile of pulling the thing I finally realized that I was still in low range and so the engine wasn't getting a fast enough spin to start. Made the difficult shift to high range with the cold 90 wt in the transfer case fighting back and got her to kick over. Didn't unhook the strap yet though because I still didn't have any steering, so the TJ just pulled me through the curves, dragging my front end around. There was packed snow on the road so it was not too traumatic a pull on the corners. 

Got back to the trucks and trailers and let her warm up a bit and finally the Ross box loosened up and I had some steerage. 

In the past, most of my snow wheeling has been in the spring, in deep snow (several feet) with a hard crust top. My NDTs would break through and leave me sitting on the frame with four tires spinning in the air. while my trail partner, on his big fat tires would stay on top and walk right along. That's why I put the fat clown tires on for this tip> I didn't think about how different the conditions are now compared to the conditions in the spring.

Right now in these really cold temperatures, there is up to  a foot of fresh powder snow that doesn't pack or set up very solid. It is like driving on dry sugar. My clown tires did better than my NDTs would have, but they still would spin very easily in this dry snow. 

I believe that I would have done way better this time, in these conditions, if I would have stayed with the NDTs and used the tire chains that I bought a few years ago to get some heavy metal on all four corners.  The snow was light enough that I could have gotten the chains down through it to the hard road surface and then push that powder along with the bumper. 

My cousins daughter, I think she's 15, did very well in the XJ, but after getting a long ways ahead of us, she got stopped and started to back down, got off the packed track a bit and in to the powder on the low side of the road. It's hard to tell from this picture, but it's really steep just off the road and this was a bit of a scary spot for her. 

We dug the snow out from under the tires to get down to the gravel, then ran a ratchet strap from the roll bar on the drivers side to a tree to put on some uphill tension so she wouldn't slip down the hill, into the trees and the long drop below. I then ran a strap back to Grampa's Jeep, and while I pulled down hill and the ratchet strap kept her from sliding off the edge, and the bare graven gave her some traction, we got her out without further incident. 

I'm working on a little video of some of the good and bad of my experience in the snow. In the meantime, here are a few glamour still shots.  Keep in mind that the temps were in the teens today. Sunny and no wind though, so it was not too bad.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2019 at 7:15am
While I'm working on my video, Ted (Rock Cred) who lives in Monticello, Utah a few miles south of Moab, was also up in the mountains near his place playing in the snow. He has NDTs on his jeep, Pepe, and he made this video of how Pepe did in the fresh powder with chains on.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2019 at 9:17am
I've run chains a few times and they can aid a lot. I was up working for a company in Glenwood Springs that were running 10X10s. One had an old REO gear train and the other was a GMC, both from WW2 trucks. Lots of weight on the rear ends and I was told that if you chained them up, they could easily push 3 feet of snow. You can believe what you want to but I do have another about a guy that chained up his 2A to get to some people. As I said, believe what you want to but he was the guy that invented Bandag...
uncamonkey
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2019 at 11:27am
Looks like fun! Looking forward to the video
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
baja 4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baja 4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2019 at 1:08pm
Looks fun, cold but fun. What pressure were you running in your tires Stan?
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2019 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by baja 4 baja 4 wrote:

Looks fun, cold but fun. What pressure were you running in your tires Stan?

Hey Ward,
I ran these at about 9 lbs. less probably would have been a little better, but my experience at lower pressure is limited and my anxiety level at to whether these tubeless tires would stay on the rims was high. 
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
64CJ5 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64CJ5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2019 at 3:52pm
When I was ranching we chained the pickups all the way around and loaded feed for the cows in the back.  It was WORK.  When the snow got really deep I would blade the road and feed ground with the D8 Cat.  Again WORK and Cold. I do like cows. It seams we had more snow and cold 30 years ago.  Have not had any 40* below weather in years.  State high way 450 has not been closed often in the past few years.  The ranch was a good place to raise kids.
Taking a couple of Jeeps up a road with deep snow would now be fun.  
64CJ5 "Eeyore"
01TJ "Tigger"
52 M38 Severely demilitarized, "Popeye" The Coast Guard Jeep.
14 JK "Jake"
To Trust Government Defys Both History and Reason.

PUBLIC LAND Owner/User
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2019 at 7:24pm
Ok, here's the video. I had a slow talking guy do some voice over. Hope it doesn't put you to sleep.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
mictat2214 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mictat2214 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2019 at 9:38pm
Dangerous, life threatening stuff!!
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan. 2019 at 9:39pm
That looked fun, Stan! If we get any accumulation here this winter I’m going to try out the pizza cutters and I’ll share my results 😉
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2019 at 12:43am
Looks and acts like the beach sand down in florida just much warmer I suppose. Great video guess you'll be changing the lubricant in the ross or was it something else that had it frozen up?

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

bobevans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobevans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2019 at 3:42am
Sweet. Thanks for sharing !
'48 CJ2A

'56 DJ3A

'79 CJ7

And two of them actually run!
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2019 at 4:32am
Oh Man that makes me want to Flatfender in the snow!!

Wheels and tires look better than the clown shoes you ran before  I like the steel wheels. 
What size and make are those tires?
Thanks for taking us on a cold ride from our couches Clap
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2019 at 1:10pm
Wish I was there. How did the other guys do?
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2019 at 3:12pm

Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

Wish I was there. How did the other guys do?

The other jeeps had fat tires with deeper cleats than these tires so they did a bit better, although I didn't feel ashamed or embarrassed. Smile

Originally posted by Flatfender Ben Flatfender Ben wrote:

Wheels and tires look better than the clown shoes you ran before  I like the steel wheels. 
What size and make are those tires?

Honestly, I have no idea about these tires. I have not examined them very closely but I didn't see any identification on them. I think they are some sort of sand tire that come's with grooves around the tire sort of like a front tractor tire. It looks like someone used some sort of hot knife or something to cut cross bars across the tread so now they have a checker board pattern. 

They were given to me so I can't complain at all about them. 
Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Mike F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2019 at 5:43pm
Those tires don’t really fit the picture of snow tires in my mind. I’d bet they would do very well with chains on them though. or maybe chains on the rear and strap some skis on the front. Love your videos. Wink
Doug Timme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doug Timme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2019 at 8:30pm
I have the 16 X 6.0 Firestone knobby tires on my CJ. I have only had it out in the snow a few times, but was really impressed on how well they did in the snow. Lots of bite.

Doug
wheelie View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wheelie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan. 2019 at 10:19pm
My first thought, when I saw those boots, was "ice racer." Of course, there are no studs in Stans tires but the tread design made me think of it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>