Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grandkids and Jeep Rides

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grandkids and Jeep Rides
    Posted: 13 Aug. 2022 at 11:40pm
My youngest daughter brought her two boys ( 9 and 10 ) up today to swim in the pool. They spent most of the day swimming, and then we had a feast of hot dogs. 

When they were about to leave the youngest boy came and said "Pappy will you take us on a ride in your Jeep? He was pointing at my 47 CJ2A parked out under a tree in the front yard.  

So, we loaded up in the Jeep and took a ride down the hill to the barn, then over the hill and into the back fields which are grown up with about five foot of grass. I told them we were on safari. Every bump we hit those two boys were hooping, hollering, and laughing.

Think I may have some Jeepers coming up with these two grandsons.

I enjoyed it as much as they did, but when we stopped off at the barn the older one looked around and said, "Wow pappy ! You sure can do a lot of stuff!" and that tickled me to no end.  

Maybe I can interest them in learning how to work on these things, and if so I know where my Jeeps will go next. 

A real good day for me.
If you can't get there in a Jeep you don't need to be there!
oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug. 2022 at 11:16am
Nice. I'd rather take my two grandsons on a slow ride around than just about anything else. 
James 4:6 God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.
windyhill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windyhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug. 2022 at 11:24am
Fantastic! About as good as it gets!
'48 CJ2A
'53 CJ3B
'59 CJ6
'65 CJ5
'67 CJ5
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug. 2022 at 1:36pm
I have 14 grandchildren, two other grandsons said they thought the Jeeps were cool but they have never asked to ride in one. 

The last time these two boys were up here I took them for a ride to the store in my CJ5, but this was their first ride in the flat fender, and their first off-road ride. My place is mostly hills, just one field that is flat, so they got a pretty good bouncing about.
redrunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug. 2022 at 9:04pm
My grand kids are the reason I put a back seat with seat belts in my jeep.  They love going for rides.  I have to put it out of the shed quiet often when they come over.......bummerSmile.  I hope they always love to ride in it!  Just another reason to own it!  
“Life is tough, but it’s tougher if you’re stupid.”
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug. 2022 at 10:24pm
I'm teaching my future son in law to drive a manual transmission in mine right now. 
 I never knew that you could chirp the tires in one of these..... LOL
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
GPASGRN2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GPASGRN2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug. 2022 at 8:04am
Main reason I got mine (So I told GG). Grands need to learn to drive a manual, bigs wanna drive & littles want to ride.. educational and fun! 
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug. 2022 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by Oldpappy Oldpappy wrote:

. . .
A real good day for me.

Sounds like it!      . .  get them hooked early.  Smile
Dahdo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dahdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug. 2022 at 10:14am
All my grand kids have learned to drive in our pasture as soon as they could reach the pedals. A jeep ride was a must on the list whenever they came out to the farm. We're in town now and I do miss the pasture rides, but we still take the Willys out. 

46 CJ-2A
59 Wagon
"it's not hoarding if it's old jeeps"
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2022 at 12:52am
What a great photo . .  I somehow missed when you originally posted.
JeepFever View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeepFever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2022 at 1:18am
We have 4 grandkids now,  and all have expressed some interest in Jeeps,  but our youngest seems particularly on the path to a future Jeeper.   He always points out any Jeeps when he sees them,   also any Jeep shirt I wear,  it is one of the first things he notices,  and points to the Jeep.

Today,  my son and his family participated in a local trail-riding event with me.  Our 2-year old grandson seemed genuinely excited about the adventure.      My daughter-in-law said that he talked all morning about the Jeep ride coming up.   
He is 25 months old,  but seems so mature for his age.   At one point in the trail ride,  while we were stopped on trail,  (for someone below who was stuck),   I put my grandson in drivers seat of Wilson.   The trail was steep, and there was poison ivy everywhere,  so thought this would be a safe place for him to hang out.   . .  He was turning steering wheel back and forth and making engine noises.   A guy came by and asked if he was driving the Jeep,   then said "I know you can not drive the Jeep,  you can not push the pedals" . .   my grandson said -> "PaPa pushes the pedals"    we were both shocked that someone so young seemed to grasp the concept.      

Hopefully not too long before I have a Jeep helper in the garage. :-)
Oldpappy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldpappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2022 at 11:07am
My daughter brought the boys up for a cookout yesterday. The boys had wanted to go swimming but since it was raining they didn't. The oldest boy, who is tall and skinny actually ate 3 hamburgers and they were decent sized too. I don't know how he can eat so much, but after we ate the first thing they asked is "Since we can't go in the pool can you take us on a Jeep ride?" 

We piled into the 2A and I drove it down the hill to the lower field which has grass almost head high.

With all the rain it was muddy so I put it into 4WD. I drove it around the field at a pretty good clip and then up a steep hill to show them what a Jeep can do, flinging mud all the way. They were both grinning ear to ear, laughing, and hollering "Go faster Pappy!" 
Dahdo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dahdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2022 at 12:30pm
Start them early, they'll never forget. Chances are good that jeep will be in the family and loved for a long time.
46 CJ-2A
59 Wagon
"it's not hoarding if it's old jeeps"
Downs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Downs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep. 2022 at 1:11pm
My kids (espeically my son) bug me multiple times a day for a "Jeep Ride".  Since the CJ2 got finished we've been tooling around the local area quite a bit.  I'm ok with it, they have fun I have fun and I need to get some hours on the engine to get to an oil change before I possibly take it to Arkansas. 

Edited by Downs - 05 Sep. 2022 at 1:12pm
1946...ish CJ2A
1976 CJ5
1995 XJ
 Post Reply Post Reply