Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gray Paint - what is it?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mat L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gray Paint - what is it?
    Posted: 29 Mar. 2010 at 7:37pm
I am reworking my 3A at the moment - and have seen several that are painted gray. Rather than join another forum, does anybody here know if there was a factory gray they used? if so is there a color code or name?

Thanks Much.
bkreutz View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkreutz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2010 at 7:45pm
The color is Pickett Grey, there are some examples on the home page of this site (click on the green 2A in the upper left corner) It's kind of a blue grey.
Edit: It's kinda confusing to find, it's under the "wheel colors" heading, here's a link http://www.thecj2apage.com/paint.html#wheelcolours

Edited by bkreutz - 29 Mar. 2010 at 7:47pm
Gale

47 CJ2A 142857
47 Bantam T3-C 16271

Photo page http://bkreutz.smugmug.com/
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2010 at 11:06pm
3A's came in Potomac Grey. What year?

Larry
Mat L View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mat L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2010 at 6:47pm
It is a '53.

The Potomac looks like the right one - hard to tell the actual color on a screen, but i also like that the pickett gray is just a bit darker... Hmmm now the decision. Leaning towards the Potomac if that is more what a 1953 3A would have come with.
rocketeer View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2010 at 10:01pm
I do not have the chip set for 1953 but here's the Sherwin-Williams chip set that covers 1949-1952. It's a little hard to read but just to the left of each paint sample it lists what vehicle(s) it's for. The Potomac Gray is listed for all those years for the Jeep, truck, and wagon. That's the color my 1950 CJ3A originally was.

Larry
Rob H. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rob H. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2010 at 1:27am
Both of the parts 3a's I have were originally Potomac Gray. Both are 51's. I kinda like it!
Rob H.

1948 CJ2A
bits and pieces of three 3A's
1967-72 Chevy C/10 kinda combined them LOL

Post Reply Post Reply