Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grease zero on Dana 25 cover?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BD1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grease zero on Dana 25 cover?
    Posted: 30 Dec. 2019 at 3:08am
Anyone know what the grease Zerk is on the cover of my dana 25 front differential?
BD
'47 CJ2a, Shiny on top!
'55 CJ5 project
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec. 2019 at 3:20am
  LOL The hole is there for a breather; the zerk is there to plug the hole. Bubba strikes again!Clap  BW
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
BD1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BD1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec. 2019 at 3:39am
Thanks, I'm glad I asked before I put the grease gun on it. It shows grease on the surface of the zerk, but I just flushed and re-filed it.  Is the vent a simple open orifice? Or is a mechanical vent that I need to order?
BD
'47 CJ2a, Shiny on top!
'55 CJ5 project
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec. 2019 at 4:21am

Jeff_Davis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff_Davis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec. 2019 at 5:02am
Since Bubba usually doesn't always strike just once, also check the top of your Ross steering box. There should be a filler PLUG installed there and not another Zerk. If there is a zerk on the steering box, it has probably been pumped full of bearing grease, instead of filled with the proper grade oil. Grease doesn't properly lube the worm and steering sector, and you will get premature wear.
Cheers, Jeff
Jeff
1947 Willys CJ2A Las Flores, Provinca de Buenos Aires, Argentina
1951 Willys M38 Flightline jeep (Southeast Florida)
1954 M-100 USMC Trailer
1954 FORD F-100 parts chaser, 292 V8 Y-Block
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec. 2019 at 5:06pm
  He has a Saginaw gear, Jeff.  It, by the way, should be filled with grease. If oil is put in it, it will find its way through the grease to the pitman seal at the bottom, which will not hold oil, and leak out. BW 

Nobodyjeff5888 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nobodyjeff5888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2020 at 8:47am
I was wondering what thread is on that breather. I replaced my cover with a heavy wall cast aluminum cover without a vent. Due to po damaging original. Threw cover away with breather still in it. Wasn't thinking.
 Post Reply Post Reply