Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Greaser007's '46 CJ2A - "Gemma" project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greaser007's '46 CJ2A - "Gemma" project
    Posted: 03 Feb. 2018 at 4:39am
   Well guys and gals ... here she is "Gemma" the Jeep.

Yes, she's a real Gem, so i have been calling her Gemma. Funny how we name items with personality. And i would venture to say this 1946 Willys can tell some real interesting stories, and has probably suffered bruises from hitting all the lava rocks in our area. The east side of the Valley is lava rock and shelfs. The steering stabilizer shock-body has a Big dent from contacting a rock or sleeping hiker .... haha ... ouch !

December 30, 2017:
   Anyway, i had been silently "looking" for a Flat-fender-Willys in original drivetrain configuration, and Gemma popped-up on the local Craigslist for $2k.
   The jeep was just up in the Sierra-Nevada mountains about 35-miles up the hill from us, so away-we-went to have a look. I told the wife, i am paying full-price if it catches my eye, and we'll go back with the trailer to haul her home.
   When i looked the jeep over, the chassis was correct as the front bumper and rear draw-bar hitch. The engine compartment looked mostly correct as with the dash and guages and steering and so on.
   Now ......... the Body shows that this jeep has spent many years sitting out in the weather. Go ahead a laugh at the seats ! ..... they need just a touch of attention.

February 02,2018:
   Engine - it is the little "singer-sewing-machine" 4-cyl Flathead L134.
I didn't even ask the seller if it ran, because I told him I will tear it down and see what the engine internals look like.
   So, today, I carefully cleaned around the spark plugs before pulling them.
Note - before pulling these plugs, First spray a little WD-40 in around the plugs to hold any dirt from falling into the spark plug holes. Loosen the plugs and screw them almost all the way out, and then take your pocket knife and scrape around the plugs then blow with compressed air before plug removal.

Next Step - I turned the engine over with plugs out to make sure there was no water in cylinders. No-water ! Then I did a compression test and all cylinders were at 125 lbs turning over 4-revolutions with engine Cold.
   I checked for spark, and had Good-Spark ... Wow !!

..... i'm getting Really-Excited at this point.

Next step - Primer Gas and told wife to turn over the engine and that little Gem fired right up and sounded so sweet.

It was a good day ............. Gemma is a Runner ! .... maybe, but not sure at this point if she is a "Driver." ....... hahahaha

Len ( Greaer007 )

Edited by Greaser007 - 12 Jan. 2019 at 7:04pm
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2018 at 5:14am
Is it just me or does your windshield frame seem to lean a touch too far back?  Also, you might want a fuel pressure regulator between pump and Solex carb.  Then drive it!  Some time later, un-weld the body from the frame.  Then drive it more!  Thumbs Up
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2018 at 9:53am
Congrats!, and great news on getting her running Thumbs Up... I'm curious, what's going on at the shift boot?
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2018 at 10:23am
It looks like a drink holder to me.
uncamonkey
BryanB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BryanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2018 at 2:28pm
A nice looking rig!
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2018 at 2:44pm
Congrats on your nice looking jeep.Your jeep is going to be a driver in no time by the looks of things.Thumbs Up
1946 cj2a 59108
1998 Jeep Cherokee 2 doors
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb. 2018 at 11:56pm
Looks like you didn’t have to go home for the trailer. Because it has a tow bar. 
Nice find Clap
1946 cj2a desert dog
1946 cj2a bulldog
1948 cj2a blue jeep
1953 cj3b yard dog
1955 willys wagon
1955 willys pickup
1956 willys pickup boomer
1960 fc 170
1968 jeepster commando
1990 Grand wagoneer
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb. 2018 at 2:43am
   Ha !

Unreliable - the swept-back windshield is for less wind-drag .... hahaha
   and you noticed the "direct-weld-body-mount is for Squeak-Reduction. right

mbullism - you liked that shift boot too ! and the golf-balls ... hahaha

Unkamonkey -   nice drink holder, and it will keep the drink unsettled.

BryanB - i can't wait to give her some well deserved Attention.

Gil - yes .... i am chomping at the bit !

FlatfenderBen - no kidding ..... i couldn't believe it when the seller told me I can tow it home, and the tow-bar is built very well with Safety-Chain.

Today, Feb. 03,2018 - i didn't do anything to the Willys.
Yesterday late i sprayed generous WD-40 into the Emergency Brake mechanism to get it working smoothly .... it works !

After looking at the photos for underneath, the skid plate isn't bent.
What is with those apples ? ........ it must be a 'diversion' of some sorts.

Hahahaha ............ what is a reasonable cold compression reading ?

I'll bet Oltimer can throw me some numbers ...... anyone ?

The floor starter has been converted to ignition switch with solenoid.

I have not driven the jeep yet, so have no clue how the transmission will function.

So, when we tow these with the t-90 transmission, we are supposed to put the Transmission in direct and Transfer case in Neutral ?

Hey, where should I post photos of the '46 Willys that I drove through the Rubicon summers 1985 and 1986 ?

It had the L134 with power-steering that I adapted to the jeep with a '76 Corvette tilt-telescopic steering column.
   I don't have any photos of the steering and ps pump configuration, but I think I had used an Advance Adapter's Saginaw ps-plate that they sold then.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr. 2018 at 3:33am
Project update - April 07, 2018:

I pulled the skid plate and drained the transmission and transfer-case fluid.

Yuk ! ..... first there was a bit of water, and then creamy goo.
Well, I only expected some water because the rubber shift-staff boot was gone.
Now, I was always crossing creeks in my jeep, and seemed like in years past I was always draining fluids after deep water crossings.

I cleaned the shift tower and repainted and refilled the boxes with fresh fluids and repainted the skid plate too.   There was a pretty good dent in the front of the skid plate, so I pressed it out straight with the hyd. press.

My fuel tank has fuel, and I can blow through from the hose connecting to the fuel pump to the tank.
   Next step will be to see if the fuel pump is pumping, because the carburetor is not getting fuel.

Other than those items, I have not done anything else on my project Jeep.

I guess like most everyone else, spare time to work on the willys is scarce and "Gemma" keeps getting pushed aside for more important chores.
   I just did crack the cases on my '02 WRX Subaru 5-spd transmission, which is my daily driver ( was ) and hope to get it back together soon.

Len

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 3:31pm
   Project update April 22, 2018:

So, I have discovered that my '46 engine has the Solex carburetor.

I am learning as I go, and fired the engine up over the weekend, but it won't idle, and upon removing the carb from the intake, there was a puddle of fuel laying in the bottom of the intacke manifold. Probably primer-gas.
   Makes me think that fuel pressure may be too high, but I was not getting fuel from the pump to feed the float-bowl.
   So, what I did was to fill the float bowl with the top off of the carb, and then keep it running with slight throttle, and there seemed to be lots of gas coming out of the tube in the middle of the carb throat looking down into it.
But, the pump was not filling the float bowl while running because of the top being removed. The pump was pushing fuel out through the float needle with the top off. I have cleaned the Solex, and will re-install and troubleshoot after I obtain a Solex rebuild kit.

The accelerator pump diaphragm was Petrified hard so I need to round-up a rebuild kit to get a new diaphragm.

That fuel pump looks to be a real Booger to get at the one bolt behind the front engine mounting plate.   Yuk !   ... I studied it yesterday, and I don't know how on earth I will get that forward fuel pump bolt re-installed. I guess with lots of patience and dilligence.   hahahaha

So, then for the time being - I am stuck on SOLEX and PUMP issues.

Oh and i checked the Parts List for the 2A, and it only shows the Carter YO carburetor and not the Solex. I had no luck finding a Solex carb kit on the Napaonline.com web site.

i will resume my efforts after getting a Solex carb kit.

Len

nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr. 2018 at 8:25pm
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2018 at 4:45am
There's a very fine (and very small) screen at the fuel inlet of the Solex.  I forget how to get it out, but pull it and clean it and see if that helps.  You get a new one with a rebuild kit (the complete kit, that is) but yours may just be clogged.  I'd recommend a fuel pressure regulator, though.

I ran a Solex on Ol' Unreliable for years.  When it was running right, it was a bit peppier than it is with the Carter carb. 
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2018 at 5:53am
If you are getting 125 on all cylinders, I doubt it will need a tear down.
How's the oil pressure?

It could be ready for a test drive with just a complete fluid change and check for any loose, missing or broken parts.
1946 CJ2A 14098

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2018 at 7:15am
   Ok guys ! …. I've been tinkering with my Solex-clone mysteries !

Here is the deal:    The accelerator pump has not been working. So, after hours of searching for a good clean cut-through schematic, the best I could find were here at the following link
   https://www.scribd.com/document/2357331/Solex-Selection-and-Tuning-of-Carburetor

I took the top off of the carb with the fuel bowl full and operated the accelerator pump. It was a no-go, but the pump nozzle and check-ball were good shape. What I have discovered is that the OMIX-ADA Solex carb kit does not have a check-ball for the inlet-jet to the Accelerator pump.
   I dug through an old Carter YF rebuild kit and took the aluminum ball and inserted it into my accelerator pump inlet-jet. Then filled the fuel bowl with fuel and Presto ! _ _ _ the pump is squirting like a yard sprinkler. Yeay !

After that I then made a ball retainer to swedge into the fuel-inlet-jet to keep the ball from falling out of place, but with room to move up to allow fuel to pass through. This took all afternoon with lots of effort to remain calm.

Why don't the OMIX Solex rebuild kits have check balls or replacement squirter nozzles or the enrichening valve ? _ _ _ made in INDIA no less, explains why the kit is incomplete, like a consumer-special.

I may see if I can contact OMIX directly.

My next opportunity I will fire up the engine and see if the accelerator pump with do it's job and Squirt big-time, and hope the Idle-circuit will be tuneable with little Fuss.

I pulled the fuel tank several weeks ago to check it, and of course it had holes in it where I had to break-loose all the rust-balls on the bottom and rear of the tank, where the leaves and debris held the winter-moisture for many years. So, I am in the hunt for a good-used or New tank.

I am open to suggestions of what brand to buy and where.

Once I get the fuel systems functioning properly, then I will move on to checking the differentials and brakes.

My biggest hurdle with giving the jeep (jemma) attention due to too many other more important irons-in-the-Fire.

Len

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep. 2018 at 3:31am
Good News for my '46 Willys !

And ad popped-up last week for a T-90 with D-18 trans-case & Over-drive.

The guy said he had it promised to the first purchaser who was supposed to pick it up on Monday of this week. I told the seller if he had any issues, to call me and I will by happy to take it off his hands.

The seller phoned today and said I can pick it up tomorrow. He has had this trans set-up stored in a wooden box for 25-years. We are in an arid climate so I have good feelings about this, and he is an old fart like me, and he says the Overdrive works very well. He had it behind a V-6, so it will have the longer shaft.   

I would like to swap the long shaft for a short one for my 2A w L134.

I am also willing to purchase a nice used short input shaft at a reasonable price.

And am kind of keeping my eye out for a nice Carter YO 636 to fit the L134.

Len
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep. 2018 at 9:36am
If you already have to replace the shaft, you could also change the cluster and convert the T90A to a T90C.
The input and cluster are the only change.
It would give you a wider ratio trans for a little lower first gear.
If you plan to drive mainly on the street, you may not like it as well.
First will be a bit too low and there is a bigger gap between 2nd and third that can be annoying.
Since you will have OD, you get the option of using 2nd in OD to bridge the gap.

Maybe Oldtime or someone else will be along to explain that better. 
1946 CJ2A 14098

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2018 at 10:26pm
Well, I just removed the top of the newer T-90 transmission and it does have the 18 teeth on the Input-Shaft. The insides are clean and shiny and shafts turn smooth. I will probably wait for warm April weather before I dig into the Overdrive that I bought in august. It is wet outside, and Cold. :)

I have made no progress on my '46 enough to drive it. As of today 12-23-2018 the best I have done to my Willy's is to get it idling several weeks ago.
My next plan is to purchase a pressure gauge for fuel delivery, and go from there.

My 4-cylinder L134 doesn't seem to have a PCV valve. And I don't see a road draft tube either.

I may have to wait until tax-returns before I can purchase a new fuel tank.
After fuel tank replacement I then hope to refurb the brakes. Following that I will need to rebuild the steering box. (I hope the steering will be salvageable because the wheel has LOTS of SLOP ).

December is a tough time for Willys parts-purchase $$$$. So no new activity on my Willy's.   boo.

Len
Lhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec. 2018 at 1:16am
Greaser, I just saw this gas tank on Craig List. It's a little ways from you (near Turlock) but you might be interested. https://modesto.craigslist.org/pts/d/hughson-willys-jeep-cj2a-fuel-tank/6731593185.html

Larry...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>