Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grill Mount Help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murphy744 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grill Mount Help
    Posted: 20 Sep. 2019 at 11:07pm
Can someone clarify how the grill mounts to the frame cross member? When I took the body off, the grill was not attached to the crossmember. Actually, is wa just resting on the frame rails, bolted to the fenders, without the grill mounts?. I also do not see anywhere on the grill itself, that would indicate a place to mount to the cross member.

I must be missing somethingSmile

TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2019 at 1:09am
The grill mounts to the brackets on the frame rails.
Those don't look like stock frame rails.

Edited by TERRY - 21 Sep. 2019 at 1:11am
BOULDER 48 2A
Joe DeYoung View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe DeYoung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2019 at 1:29am
Mounts on frame rails are missing. Left frame rail has some kind of mod. Grill also attaches to the threaded tab on the cross member. 
Joe DeYoung
to many jeeps, parts, and accessories to list here, but apparently enough to keep me in trouble with my wife.

murphy744 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murphy744 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2019 at 3:10am
Yes the frame rail mounts are missing. The PO modified the frame rails, but I can buy those. My grill has no way of mounting to the cross member. Is there a tab that should be on the grill, that would allow it to be mounted on the cross member?
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2019 at 4:24am
Yes, there should be a tab on the grille for mounting to that crossmember.
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
murphy744 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote murphy744 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2019 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by Ol' Unreliable Ol' Unreliable wrote:

Yes, there should be a tab on the grille for mounting to that crossmember.

Thanks for the reply,
Kinda what I figured. So, I'm assuming its safe to assume that the PO cut off/got rid of the tab attached to the grill, that is used to attach to the cross member. 

I have looked, and cannot find anyone that sells them?
athawk11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athawk11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2019 at 3:37pm
You may see remnants from the bracket on the grill.  They were originally spot welded on.  It's just a small L-angle that is simple to make.  
1- 1946 CJ2A   
2- 1949 CJ3A
Steelyard Blues View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steelyard Blues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep. 2019 at 5:13pm
1947 CJ2A 106327, Engine J109205, Tub 97077. Luzon Red

https://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/steelyard-blues_topic41024_post397981.html?KW=micah+movie#397981

1965 Johnson Furnace Company M416 #6-1577
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct. 2019 at 10:56pm
Sent you a PM about finding them in Kaiser Willys catalog
Mike in AZ
 Post Reply Post Reply