Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hammer forms

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2012 at 2:04pm
I think there is some confusion ...... again .....  I am not making these dies to make one or two panels.  I will make my own panels, make a few more sets to recoup my cost, then turn the forms over to another member who will make a small business out of it.

1. I don't want the dies to last for "several" panels.  I want them to last forever.  One could argue that "if you are going to go through so much trouble", you might as well make something that lasts "forever"  Not just a long time .... which wood forms lasting a long time is debatable.  Ask Phil.
2. Cost is not an option because the money will be recouped.
3. These forms will be cut out on a CNC mill.  The program for the mill will be done using CAD/CAM i.e. programming is relatively easy, and while the mill cuts the forms, to "perfect finish", I will probably be kicking back and chatting with youns' on the forum so in actuality it would probably be less work but certainly not a lot of trouble.  It will be fun and I'm sure that the forum members would agree.

FWIW, I have been advised by Brain Hainer among others, not to use wood.  It was Brian's suggestion to add the tub radius forms to the end of the fixture.  I trust him.

...... so 

1. If any of youns' don't like tool making and find it to be too much trouble, I would advise against this.
2. If economics is an issue for you and you don't plan to make enough panels to recoup the cost, I would not do this.

Lucky for everyone that someone (not me) will be making panels with these fixtures so you won't have to worry about it.  Not sure when I will get to this though. 

Edited by jpet - 15 Apr. 2012 at 2:05pm
CJ2A #29110 "General Willys"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

"We do what we can, and we try what we can't"
sandusky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandusky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2012 at 2:24pm
I was thinking that if you wanted to increase your production numbers you could build the outer flange Where hammering would occur, produce that portion out of steel and then heat could be applied from a torch to relieve stress from the metal.That way you're not burning up your buck that you are forming the steel over. That said I'm not metal man,every time I get close to sheet metal blood starts running out of my fingers .( I use a lot of paper towels and masking tape).   Thanks and keep up the great work.Sandusky
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2012 at 2:45pm
If you have ever tried to make repair pieces, I for one am awed at what a knowledgeable metal worker can do. There was ( he's gone now) a guy named Everet Smith who made Austin Healey repair pieces for frames, floors, supports body panels etc. that were so darn good, you could hold them against and measure and no difference could be seen between original and his.  Even the welds were the same. He could walk up to a original and make one off pieces for you which he did for me. The pressings matched even on cut lines. He was a great guy.  Al at Midwest Military is gifted also. He would be a good guy to contact on making your forms. The thought I have is to make a universal form for MB, GPW, M38, CJ2A, 3A, 3B. The form could be assembled to produce right or left with indents or not. What do you think Jeff? By the way, anyone want to Jeep in the Black Hills, Saturday of the Memorial Day weekend? I won't charge you any money for funLOL John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2012 at 2:58pm
Hi John,

The design I posted is universal. Left, right, tool indents, no indents, CJ2A-M38.

I am mimicking the work of Brian Hainer.  He is considered by some (including myself) to be the "Godfather" of early jeep tub building.  The tub in this thread was hand made by him except for the cowl:

I know the forms I have designed will work because they are identical to the forms Brain has other than, i am trying to incorporate the rear corner of the panel.

As far as Black Hills, it sounds like fun but i better not.  It would not make sense "economically"  have fun!!
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2012 at 3:20pm
Heat is definitely a possibility on some of those tighter bent areas, but ideally no heat should have to be used.....

From my measurements the only form that would be different enough that Jeff's design couldn't do it would be the M 38 right side tool indents. That would require a second operation to a preformed panel with a smaller set of hammerforms made with the correct profile for the M 38, which I would think is a mirror image to the 2a/MB indent. Also, with the form built as Jeff proposes, you can make a partial panel, like the rear coner piece almost every old jeep needs.

Carl, those bodies built by coachbuilders to fit a buck, or built over a wooden framework were usually made from softer aluminum. The process of building to fit a buck involves shaping the panel with varied tools and then fitting it to the buck. Very little hammering over the wood is actually done.The buck is simply a pattern the metal is checked with.   Lots of beating on the sheet metal does occur, sometimes with power hammers, pullmaxes, or just a blocking hammer over a simple hollowed out stump or sandbag. Modern bodybuilders today are still learning how the old masters did it, as a lot of that knowledge was not passed on over the years except to a priveleged few. Today, sites like Metalmeet and All Metalshaping have folks who are carrying on the traditional craft in an amazing renaisannce (sp) of the craft. Check them out, there are some incredible projects out there going on. Us jeepers are mere beginners when it comes to true metalshaping.....The aircraft guys and the hot rod crowd have been turning out some incredible stuff and now with the net we get to see these projects while they are being built...Nothing like an all steel 32 Ford bult from scratch.

I believe when Willys made these panels, they originally were stamped out with large presses. I would guess they were done in multiple strikes, with different dies each time.  A steel hammerform is the closest one can get to that process without investing in a huge press and $$ tooling. Compromises have to be made but as Brian has proved, a panel much closer to the original than the MD Juan ones can be made from simple flat sheet steel. The jeep tub is almost all simple curves and bends except for the cowl panel, and as I mentioned somewhere before, the floor around the transmission. Luckily for us the complex grille usually doesn't rust, and the cowls are saveable too on most tubs. That leaves 80 percent of the bodywork that can be remade with simple techiniques.  (Can't make those ribs in the rear floor very easily either, but Monte at Classic has taken care of that for us. )

The suggestion to make a wooden form with steel edges is a good one for the home builder. Eventually the steel will loosen from the wood form but they should hold up better than a straight MDF or Oak form would. If your own jeep has a good upper channel, making the panel without it simplifies things incredibly, then it can be spliced into the tub. A wooden form and apice of pipe for the rear radius should suffice in that case.  What nobody has mentioned yet is the internal doubler piece that is spot welded inside the upper channel to strengthen it. That will require a similar, but thinner form.

I am a bodyman but this hammerform technique is new ground for me as well.  I am in the process of making a hammerform from scrap steel to make the rear panel for the DJ jeeps, and hopefully I will be able to produce duplicable  and accurate results and learn some things along the way. The same basic panel should fit the MB/GPW too.   Then it will be off to the drawing board to make the rear valance panel for the 2A, 3A , and 3B. I realize they both could almost all be made with my shear and brake but that curved notch for the pintle hitch makes it a little more complex.

Dang, I need to write a book. Sorry about the length , guys!

Edited by F Bill - 15 Apr. 2012 at 3:30pm
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

Carlsjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlsjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2012 at 3:28pm
Well that certainly puts it in a different aspect. There was no mention of them being used long term for a commercial purpose. In light of that I think it's a good idea to make it out of metal and I like the reversible idea of the form. You may want to design it like a metal brake. You could use a top plate for the straight side with a brake form on it and individual fingers for the curved areas. That would considerably speed up the forming process and may make the forms last longer since they won't be hammered on. You could use a separate dolly form to do the hammering on. 

That would decrease the production time and make the panel bends look smoother.

I am making a set of dies to form top hats that fit over the top hats on my Jeep. I will use my press to form them. That way I don't have to pull the tub to repair the rusted top hats.     

Edited by Carlsjeep - 15 Apr. 2012 at 3:29pm
Life is only as good as you make it.
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr. 2012 at 3:35pm
Sorry.  again.  some confusion:
Originally posted by jpet jpet wrote:

Originally posted by Zuma58 Zuma58 wrote:

Jeff,

Are you making these with the intent to sell panels? If so are you planning on doing floors as well?
 I for one will be needing body parts in the future

I'm making these forms for a friend.  I'll probably just do some panels for myself.  I'm not sure when i will get to make these.  Right now I'm just designing and spit-balling.

FWIW.  The piece of steel cost $225.  Not sure how much the aluminum will cost.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2012 at 3:30am
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr. 2012 at 3:32am
Jeff , that is an amazing drawing. Clap
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 4:42am
With some help from Joe Friday, I was able to make a drawing that I think is more accurate.

It's pretty close to the first drawing.  The main difference is that I changed one of the radii from 14-1/2" to 13"
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

Haines Garage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haines Garage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2012 at 3:48am

Hi Carl,

I'm doing this because it is a hobby and it is fun.  Not because it makes sense.
Just browsing tonight, and saw that one.. I love that post..Well SaidThumbs Up
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2014 at 2:31pm
A little update:

I printed this drawing out to full size:

…. and then compared it to an original side frame:

In the photo it looks like some of the radii do not match but that is the paper drooping away from the side frame, but if you looked straight on, the profile is a match.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

colbyrice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colbyrice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2014 at 3:47pm

Hi Carl,

I'm doing this because it is a hobby and it is fun.  Not because it makes sense.

This is the best line ever. I am thinking about using it on my better half when she gets upset with me for spending so much money.. I will (with luck) report back as to how that conversation goes..
jpet View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2014 at 3:59pm
Yup.  If we wanted to do what makes sense, we wouldn't even own one of these things.
MB #204827 "BAM BAM"

russnj View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote russnj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2014 at 7:41pm

Yup.  If we wanted to do what makes sense, we wouldn't even own one of these things.
Clap Another gem of a line! And what if you own more than one! Wacko

43 MB, 48 CJ2A, 50 CJ3A, 55 M38A1, 56 CJ5, 79 M151A2, M100 ,65 M416
samcj2a View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samcj2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2014 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by russnj russnj wrote:

Clap Another gem of a line! And what if you own more than one! Wacko
Then you're really nuts!  ConfusedEmbarrassedWink
Sam

1946 CJ2A   15292 ACM    6678

1947 CJ2A 122031 ACM 111989

Are Glass Bowl Fuel Pumps OE?
Carlsjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carlsjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2014 at 9:46pm
Well, he slammed me on that one. To be honest I have made or repaired things that didn't really make much sense cost/time wise, just for fun.

Edited by Carlsjeep - 02 July 2014 at 9:48pm
Life is only as good as you make it.
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2014 at 1:26am
I guess that makes me insane! And happy! LOL John
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>