Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hand controlls For CJ2A

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bufordjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2017 at 10:03pm
Am a mechanical engineer by education and am humbled by creative and talented people. Being in the R&D business have learned that rare is the path to a solution that others have not traveled.  
Thinking hand controls for a vehicle may have addressed, maybe....  For instance:
Unkamonkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unkamonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov. 2017 at 10:38pm
I have never thought inside the box so I suppose that is why I got things done that others couldn't figure out. A real cruise control in a 3B? It is sort of hooked up backwards but it works fine. Towing my Jeep using the existing rear lights? Sure.
uncamonkey
Jannie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jannie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov. 2017 at 6:20am
I am not very concerned.  He will only drive this vehicle off-Road and he is a very capable hand control driver.  He regularly takes trips of over a thousand miles.
Please help I am lost
Jannie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jannie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov. 2017 at 6:38am
Leecar
Thanks for the photo.  Must admit this is completely new to me.  The vehicle in your photo, is this a project of yours.  I would love to see more of it.
Please help I am lost
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov. 2017 at 6:53pm
Belongs to a friend of a friend, I just happened to be there so I took a picture. A lot of vans over here have them.
willys54wagon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willys54wagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov. 2017 at 2:20pm
I had an uncle injured on iwo jima and a paraplegic. He invented and sold a handicapped driving system after the war. I remember seeing the brochure but never thought about the mechanics. One was for manual and also one for the automatic which was better.

I was small so don't remember much about it.   But it was done with 50's technology.   will ask my older brother if he remembers anything. But on road driving would be different that off road, on second thought, I don't think that would have stopped my uncle.
-----------------
talked to brother, not for manual but set up on an olds hyra boost. lever clamped to steering column, down ran the brake, up ran the gas pedal.   but some how could be adjusted for regular operation.

so on the down side of a single lever could you first disengage a hydraulic clutch and further down engage the brakes. or maybe brake and clutch at same time? still a single lever operation?

Edited by willys54wagon - 11 Nov. 2017 at 2:47pm
Two jeeps on the road, one is close and the rest are dreams.
Jannie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jannie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2017 at 8:36am
Actuator control mcircuit
Please help I am lost
Jannie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jannie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov. 2017 at 9:11am
Here is my circuit for controlling the actuator that will depress the clutch.  It works well on the test bench but the final proof will be once it is installed in the Jeep.  It is shown with the actuator retracted and the clutch engaged. The black block is attached to the actuator. Imagine the point sticking up from the common of the switch as the actual switch actuator with C as the pivot point.  The black block, physically runs from the in to the out limit switch to depress the clutch and back to engage.  The gear leaver switch is a momentary cross over switch.  The purpose of the two diodes is to override the in or out limit switch to get the motor running from the in or out rest positions.  Once the motor takes off and the respective limit switch transfers the diode serves no purpose anymore.  I am now waiting for the Jeep to come back from the guys who are building a new exhaust manifold for it.  The cast iron on the old manifold started to disintegrate.  A new one from USA will cost in excess of R3000 South African rand's.  Ten years ago it would have been R210. Twenty years ago it would have been R150. We are moving back to the dark ages, its taking time but we are getting there.

Please help I am lost
Frans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec. 2017 at 7:16am
I have an old friend who built a very simple hand control system for a friend's manual cars. It looked like a hand brake lever sticking out under the steering column with a motor cycle throttle handle. When you pressed it down it pressed the clutch in. I cannot remember if the brake had a similar handle. It worked well an every time the guy bought another car he brought it to Mick to convert. And you also could drive the car normally using the pedals without any changes.
I PM'ed his telephone number to you.
Frans
Smithfield, South Africa
Tel 0794317256
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123