Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hank's MB

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hank_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hank's MB
    Posted: 28 July 2020 at 3:53am
I picked up a free project MB last year.  After searching around and getting some parts I am ready to start putting this guy together.  It is not a real MB but a mix of who knows what.  The frame may be a 3B frame the body is a reproduction tub with most of the important parts included.  I sourced a set of CJ 5 axles.  A Dana 44 rear and a Dana 30 front.  I have a Dana 20 transfer case.  I picked up a Ford T18 trans and a 1968 225 motor to make it run down the road.  When I picked up my axles they had an old set of 8.5x15 slotted wheels which am a big fan of.   This is not being built to look like an original MB.  The jeep will be just for taking some summer drives, some trail rides we do here in Michigan and just all around fun.  I am hoping to have it running by sometime this fall if possible.  I had time last week and took the old slots off the axles and had the tires removed.  Here are some pics of the wheels as they looked when I took them off and some pics after several hours of sanding and polishing.

Then some sanding was done.

Then some polishing.  I think I spent about 9 hours total sanding and polishing.  They are not perfect but for a trail rig they will be just wheat I like.

Here is a picture of the wheels on the Willys with 33x12.5 15 Cooper Discover MTP's.   They were a reasonable price and should get me through the they types of things we encounter here on our runs. 

My way to small and messy garage with the Willys.  Tonight I started taking the brakes apart on the axles.  I am going with disc brakes in the front and drum in the rear.  As soon as I get them cleaned and brakes installed I will be getting ready to install the new motor mounts to house the 225.  I have some parts coming from Herm the overdrive guy for the brakes and steering. 

Hank
Hank
Michaeltru View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michaeltru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2020 at 5:57am
Get some Gibbs penetrating oil/lubricant to preserve all your hard word on those wheels and keep them nice and shiny
Mike in AZ
mbullism View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 4

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbullism Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2020 at 11:33am
Jeeps got a great stance Tongue
Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Welcome to 1930's Germany
Hank_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hank_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2020 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by Michaeltru Michaeltru wrote:

Get some Gibbs penetrating oil/lubricant to preserve all your hard word on those wheels and keep them nice and shiny

I will try it out.  I have never heard of Gibbs before.   Thanks for the tip.

Hank
Hank
Hank_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hank_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2020 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by mbullism mbullism wrote:

Jeeps got a great stance Tongue

Thanks.  It will sit a little lower soon.  I don't know what springs are on it but they are damn stiff.  I have a set of much softer CJ springs I think I will make a custom set of springs by combining the two packs.  Thinking of using the large main leaf with the softer cj leafs.  We shall see.  

Hank
Hank
Hank_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hank_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct. 2020 at 2:03am
Well work has been crazy busy but I am still trying to work on the MB.  Really hope to have most fab work done before the snow flies here in Michigan.  I got the T18 rebuilt and freshened up the Dana 20.  Still waiting for the axles to be done.  They have been waiting for the ARB for the Dana 30 to come in.  Here are some pics of where I am now.

Got the motor set in place and mounts tacked in place.

Bolted on the headers.

Hank
Hank_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hank_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct. 2020 at 2:17am

Cut the fenders for clearance.

Marking cutouts to set the seats back.

If I run a 1” body lift I have air cleaner and header clearance.  I’m not sure I want to do it as I dislike body lifts bit it doesn’t look as bad as I thought it would.
Hank
Hank_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hank_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct. 2020 at 2:20am
Hank
Hank_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hank_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct. 2020 at 2:22am
Hank
 Post Reply Post Reply