Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Harbor freight tool boxes?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BD1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Harbor freight tool boxes?
    Posted: 13 Nov. 2022 at 12:20pm
I am in serious need of more, (and better quality) tool storage.  I'm currently afraid to move my combo Husky/craftsman three box stack for fear it will just collapse.  I've been watching for used for a year now and haven't found any quality boxes at a reasonable price.  Online the US General series from Harbor freight are in the right price range, and seem to have good reviews.  Anyone here have any experience with them? I'm looking at the 44" wide upper and lower units. Does anyone know the interior height of the drawers?
BD
'47 CJ2a, Shiny on top!
'55 CJ5 project
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov. 2022 at 3:11pm
i got one of these a while back on big sale day for $179. not as high quality as expensive ones, as expected, but i really like it for what it is used for. would i pay $100 more for it? prolly not. but if on sale again for $179 i would prolly take 2. 

CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
dasvis View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dasvis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov. 2022 at 11:29pm
I bought the 44" General lower box last year, I am mostly happy with it quality/price wise.
 My only beef is that the 10 drawers in the center are just a little bit too shallow.

Top drawer is 4-1/4" deep
  10 middle drawers are 2-3/4" deep
  Bottom two drawers are 5-3/4" deep

I used my old Waterloo box on top & am thinking about adding on one of the 14-1/2" end cabinets.
1947 CJ2A #88659 "Rat Patrol"
1953 CJ3A #453-GB1 11266 "Black Beauty"
1964 Thunderbird convertible
..... & one of them moves under it's own power!!
Bruce W View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bruce W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov. 2022 at 12:13am
  Toolboxes are like garages. You buy or build one bigger than you think you’ll need, and by the time you get moved in, you’ll wish it was bigger. LOL
BW 
It is NOT a Jeep Willys! It is a Willys jeep.

Happy Trails! Good-bye, Good Luck, and May the Good Lord Take a Likin' to You!

We Have Miles to Jeep, Before We Sleep.
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov. 2022 at 12:13am
I have the 26" wide 8 drawer bottom chest. And the  7 drawer little side chest. Quality wise and use I like them a lot. As with anything I could have had a better combination of drawer depths. I also have a number of mid level 1980's Craftsman boxes and the US General is on the same or better quality level as the Craftsman but works much smoother.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov. 2022 at 5:27am
I have two 44 inch lower and one top chest. I've been very happy with mine thus far. I really can't think of a complaint to make. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
Oilleaker1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oilleaker1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov. 2022 at 6:09am
If you have a Menards close by check out Mastercraft Tool boxes. Made in China, but very well made. Shocked me. I think they are every bit as good as Snap On or Matco. They make craftsman boxes look terrible. They aren't cheap, but are still 1/7th the price of the tool truck boxes. 
Green Disease, Jeeps, Old Iron!
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov. 2022 at 10:11am
I purchased the 72” Harbor freight box with a side cabinet, was looking at Matco & Snap off and decided $6k was better in my pocket than theirs 😉 Anyway I was moving from my service truck to a shop and needed something of size and for $1200 HF had just what I needed, well built with ball bearing slides. I loaded all my sockets & associated items in the top drawer, 1” drive down to 1/4” and it carried the load fine and has been a good investment, I would certanly buy another if I had need, it’s 4 years old.

Lee😉
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
BD1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BD1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov. 2022 at 7:18pm
Thanks for the feedback. I’m making the trip to the big city, (Bangor, 75 miles downriver), and I’ll check them out in person.
BD
'47 CJ2a, Shiny on top!
'55 CJ5 project
BD1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BD1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov. 2022 at 5:20am
I bought the US General 44” upper and lower boxes. They are orange because my wife liked the orange and a guy returned an orange top box for a very minor dent which saved me 20%, so I got out of it under a thousand. My only complaint is that the top box only has a single set of slides on the deep drawers, unlike the bottom box which has two sets on the deep drawers. I was able to order two extra sets for $27 and the drawers are pre-punched for the second set do they should go on easily
BD
'47 CJ2a, Shiny on top!
'55 CJ5 project
IRQVET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IRQVET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2022 at 6:44pm
The US General Tool boxes are suprisingly built pretty well. I have several of them, they were better quality then Craftsman or Husky and cheaper too. 

Can’t go wrong with those things. Not a huge fan of Harbor Freight, but some of their items are better than you would expect. I also swear by their Predator Line of gas engines/ generators. Again, suprisingly they are actually pretty good. 
Dean
Operation Iraqi Freedom Veteran
49' CJ2A w/ GPA Engine #8924
67 CJ5 (Sold)
muley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2022 at 8:40pm
The HF store local to me in Twin Falls ID is 20 miles away and chronically understaffed. The US General line is proudly displayed but not in inventory. You have to make the purchase in full and wait for them to order it in. That's 2 trips to a store i avoid in the first place.
Joined Jan-8 2015
I never met a mule I didn't like!
OD Mule 01-52 M38
Big Red 19fiddy CJ3A salad
BD1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BD1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec. 2022 at 10:34pm
So it’s local? 😀 The closest Harbor Freight to me is 75 miles, same as Lowes or Home Depot. Nearest traffic light with all three colors is 40 miles.
BD
'47 CJ2a, Shiny on top!
'55 CJ5 project
 Post Reply Post Reply