Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Harrison Heater Decal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Harrison Heater Decal
    Posted: 14 Sep. 2011 at 1:59pm
A forum member recently completed the restoration of a Harrison heater (see your project section) and is looking for the WILLYS decal. A discussion began as to what the "original" decal looked like and many pictures were introduced. I obtained some decals about a year ago and I am offering them up for review. I need opinions as to how to improve on these decals.
Please be picky because I would like to reproduce these as close to ideal as I can. If you have a decal on one please post it on this thread. Hi quality close-ups appreciated.
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
43MB,47CJ2-A,48CJ2-A X2,70Jeepster Commando 1/2 cab,84CJ-7,
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2011 at 2:08pm
As was stated in the other post,  I believe the general opinion is that we're not totally sure but that the actual decals did not have the border. Some look like they do but conjecture is that that's just the way the decal aged over the years.

So that one appears (don't know about size by this picture) accurate except for the border.....should just be a white decal (water slide type not a sticker) without the printed border.

(Opinions may vary) Wink

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2011 at 2:09pm
Thanks Roc. I was hoping you would chime in. I appreciate your attention to detail.
eat,sleep,jeep

Proud father of a Marine, Army Dentist, Navy Pilot and a Princess. LIFE IS GOOD!
sean View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep. 2011 at 2:53pm
We went through this "way back when" (2006 I believe), but it's been lost in the shuffle.

Drawing dimensions taken from originals.  Never completed the "S", since I was waiting for hi-res pictures to come from others (mine was too wasted to get measurements from).  Click to enlarge:

Sean
Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2012 at 7:46pm

I don’t visit here much, so don’t always stay abreast of all y’alls topics.  I found these two threads from my latest, of many, Google searches on any information on these stickers.

http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/harrison-heater-color_topic22732_post196716.html?KW=harrison+heater#196716

It’s good to find more discussion in hopes of “getting it right.” 

Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

As was stated in the other post,  I believe the general opinion is that we're not totally sure but that the actual decals did not have the border. Some look like they do but conjecture is that that's just the way the decal aged over the years.

Below is an image from my heater.  (Edited to fix PB 3rd party problem)

It does not have a border.  At first, I assumed it was paint until I read Karl’s efforts on his website, vernco.com.  If my image is studied closely, there is a notable dip or bend in the middle which, in my opinion, rules out paint.  I have seen dark “borders” around some images and when coupled with the knowledge of it being a sticker, made the assumption that the sticker had shrunk and that border was the exposed adhesive.  Otherwise, all of these stickers/decals should have a border. 

Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

So that one appears (don't know about size by this picture) accurate except for the border.....should just be a white decal (water slide type not a sticker) without the printed border.

I’m not concerned about the graphics at this time (this problem is resolved).  My biggest concern is color and media.  A local sign shop is trying to convince me vinyl is the way to go, but with the protective clear layer on top, it gets awful thick!  Roc, you indicated it needed to be water transfer.  Why?   I was worried about the heat generated from the heater coil inside.  A water transfer decal would sit on the body - and conform to the surface very well, but is there something about water transfer that would make it the obvious choice for wear?

Also, Karl indicated the background was silver.  I too have a copy of his decal and while the background color looks good (my local sign shop doesn't have silver as a color choice), I don’t have a better example to defend it is white or silver.  Mine looks like it could be either one.  While we’re at it, I also feel the red, on  the decal, is a bit too intense.

Any PMS info on the colors?

Edited by Rus Curtis - 22 Apr. 2018 at 4:21pm
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
montymech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote montymech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2012 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by damar2yxr damar2yxr wrote:

A forum member recently completed the restoration of a Harrison heater (see your project section) and is looking for the WILLYS decal. A discussion began as to what the "original" decal looked like and many pictures were introduced. I obtained some decals about a year ago and I am offering them up for review. I need opinions as to how to improve on these decals.
Please be picky because I would like to reproduce these as close to ideal as I can. If you have a decal on one please post it on this thread. Hi quality close-ups appreciated.
With respect . The shape of the W appears  incorrect. Scaling both Sean's drawing and Rus's picture, the distance across the top of the W equals the distance across the bottom of the LY , in both cases,
montymech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote montymech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2012 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by damar2yxr damar2yxr wrote:

The right hand arm of the W needs  to  move to the left. The distance from the base of W to the  bottom of the 'v' should equal the width of the I.  With more respect...... 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2012 at 12:13am

Monty,

I too had problems with the letters.  Not having the ability to create vector graphics, the best I could do is approximate the letters using less desirable raster form (they looked okay but would be pixilated when reproduced).  I eventually hired a professional and have a VERY accurate outline. 

Once the colors and the media it ends up on is narrowed down, I feel it would be closer to what I’m seeing on my heater.

Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
mcjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2012 at 9:52pm
If you like, I own a screen printing/ sign shop. I'd love to reproduce the decals for you.
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2012 at 10:00pm
And we have a WINNER !!  Big smile

Show us what you can do.....it will be a great addition to the Member Created Parts section.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
mcjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2012 at 10:29pm

Here's a quick pic. If I had the actual size and color I could do better. I could do the water slide decals too.

Edited by mcjeep - 01 Aug. 2012 at 10:32pm
damar2yxr View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damar2yxr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2012 at 10:39pm
PM sent. Measurements are provided  by Sean on this thread a few posts up. COLOR?..Well there's the rub.............................Big smile
eat,sleep,jeep

mcjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2012 at 10:43pm
I got the letters  to size already from the above post. The only question I have is the white border around it, what is the dim. of that? What I mean for the color, is there a pantone color I'd have to match or just make it a basic red?

Edited by mcjeep - 01 Aug. 2012 at 10:50pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2012 at 10:50pm
mcjeep,
That's the closest I've seen on the lettering from posts so far.  From what I see the L's are a bit different.
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
mcjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2012 at 10:56pm
Yep, just caught that thanks....

Better?....

Edited by mcjeep - 01 Aug. 2012 at 11:03pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2012 at 11:01pm
um, wow.  That was quick! lol
Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
mcjeep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcjeep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug. 2012 at 11:04pm
I'm still at work.....Embarrassed
F Bill View Drop Down

Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote F Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug. 2012 at 4:39am
Rus, I looked for that decal pic I thought I had in my albums and it has evaporated....I still don't know who got the jeep with the Harrison heater in it from me or if I had it in one of the jeeps I still own..Any of you guys who bought jeep projects from my NY stash, speak up if you got the Harrison.. it did have a decal.
If you haven't checked out the tech FAQ section, go to:
http://www.thecj2apage.com/forums/tech-faq_forum57.html
for a lot of great stuff you need to know!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>