Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Harvard Red '46 CJ2A #59359 all in the family

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 14>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2018 at 10:41am
Originally posted by mkoloc mkoloc wrote:

Jay thank you for the PM.  Footman loops, notice you have not installed them yet on the tub.  Is that in the plan?  If so, would it be possible to get the dimensions for the install?  I have not done a search on the forum yet to see if there's a layout for installing them.  Just thought I'd ask the home team, your shop seems to be the do all be all Clap .

Markus

They have a couple of different jigs I use.  More than happy to get measurements if you like.

McG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2018 at 10:49am
Originally posted by ndnchf ndnchf wrote:

I like those tail lights, they look better than mine. Are you using LED bulbs? I put them in mine much brighter and draw must less current.
No these are the naco lights that Walck's sells.  But I think I got the last one.  He said the manufacturer went out of business and it could be a while before he finds another.  A lot of other guys are out as well.  Debella jeep parts may have some still.  If you need em' get em' quick.  You will find that is the case with many parts for the jeep.  Been trying to get the chrome bezels for my parking lights for the last year.  guys want crazy money to plate.
McG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2018 at 10:53am
got the wiring done and most of the dash.

I need to make a bracket to hold my coil, so I can move it back under the dash where its supposed to be.

mkoloc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkoloc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2018 at 8:46pm
Jay, yes I would appreciate those measuremen's for the footman loops (as would othere I'm sure).  Thank you!

I see yours are installed.  Nice jig setup the shop has for that.

Edited by mkoloc - 19 Feb. 2018 at 3:34am
LTC Mark Koloc (USA-RET)
MVPA#31144
OEF Afghan 03-04
OEF Africa 05-07
OEF KFOR 08-09
WTB 09-11
1942 Ford GPW
43 M16A2 Half-Track w/44 M10      
Trlr
1943 M3 Sct Car
1947 CJ2A
McG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb. 2018 at 9:02pm
the fast answer is:

Edited by McG - 18 Feb. 2018 at 9:04pm
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2018 at 6:25am
That page that shows the locations for the footman loops leaves out the one on the passenger's side that mirrors the one under the wheel arch on the driver's side.  This is for Lefties only.  Just in case anyone missed it...
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
mkoloc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkoloc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb. 2018 at 4:10pm
Just curious, but can anyone in this August body here explain the bracket concept regards the battery to the fender?  Is it just to keep the battery from possible tipping/slidding in those rough terrain situations you and your trusty Jeep might find yourself in? If so, would it not have made better sense to put the anchor point in the middle of the battery hold down instead of the end?
LTC Mark Koloc (USA-RET)
MVPA#31144
OEF Afghan 03-04
OEF Africa 05-07
OEF KFOR 08-09
WTB 09-11
1942 Ford GPW
43 M16A2 Half-Track w/44 M10      
Trlr
1943 M3 Sct Car
1947 CJ2A
McG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb. 2018 at 10:46am
just got a couple shots of the finished fuel tank

McG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2018 at 11:04am
Avoided a major scare, put the tank in. The drain holes didn't line up,  thanks Juan.  Also, when I fitted the tank, I did not have the piece the strap hooks on, welded on the tub.  So that threw off my angles from where I wanted to spot weld the fuel neck.  ( when rebuilding make sure you save and re use your old one, the Replacements are incorrect).  I ended up enlarging the the line hole in the floor and only using the welting on the hump side of the tank.  the other 2 strips I used canvas.  That gave the tank just enough tip to get the grommet in.  What a relief. Woke up in the morning and was thinking I would have to cut  the fuel neck out and repaint the side of the Jeep.

McG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2018 at 11:08am
Got a little done on the grill as well.  I had previously wired up the lights.  So then it was making more staples to attach the felt.  love the grill on a Jeep.

Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb. 2018 at 12:12pm
WOW your jeep is going to look great when done,love the colour well doneThumbs Up
1946 cj2a 59108
1998 Jeep Cherokee 2 doors
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2018 at 7:12am
A little tip for your fuel tank strap, cut a small piece of pipe to go over the bolt between the strap ends and it will tension up without bending down.

Not stock, but it works real good, the ends of the pipe need to be nice and neat and ideally machined and it will nip up nicely if you get the length right.

I did it on 14605....

Adrian
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb. 2018 at 10:13am
really looks great! Nice work! 

Great tip on the tank strap. I'll be doing that for sure! 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
McG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2018 at 11:05am
finally got the jeep running today.  Note to others, make sure you don't forget to plug the vacuum line for the wipers, it will run much smoother.  I also started fitting the fender.  

48CJ2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48CJ2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2018 at 5:42pm
This is a great restoration! I am looking at options to mount the spare to the tailgate, could you post or send a pic of your spare tire mount?
smfulle View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smfulle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2018 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by 48CJ2 48CJ2 wrote:

This is a great restoration! I am looking at options to mount the spare to the tailgate, could you post or send a pic of your spare tire mount?

Several of us have built non-invasive racks for the back of our rigs.

Some examples here.

Stan
48 CJ2A (Grampa's Jeep)
59 Chevy 1/2 ton
Grampa's Jeep Build Thread
McG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb. 2018 at 11:06pm
Originally posted by 48CJ2 48CJ2 wrote:

I would say for the best pictures of the spare tire carrier, go to the Walck's web site.

I managed to get the other fender hung today.  Had to jack the body off of the frame a little bit to get things to bolt up.

Millennium falcon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb. 2018 at 1:28am
this is looking fantastic! you win! My diesel swap stuff has really slowed me down. Your jeep is really coming together nicely!  Good work! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 14>