Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Harvard Red '46 CJ2A #59359 all in the family

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BryanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar. 2018 at 10:19am
man, that is looking great!
McG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar. 2018 at 10:38am
Snow out here kinda put a dent in progress, but got a chance to start on the windshield.  After getting the frame stripped down and sandblasted, I had a few holes to fill and then started on making the front panel.

Edited by McG - 29 Mar. 2018 at 10:31am
McG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2018 at 10:46am
A little more beating today finally got the job done.

Then after putting a straight edge on the top 2 bars and a little straightening I spot welded the top portion on.  I used 3 pieces of copper pipe, cut in half and stacked on each other, to keep the spot welder from burning through the bottom of the pipe.  I also measured the distance from the end of the arm to the top corner.  Ended up with 34 3/4 I think, Might have been 34 1/2.  Once this was all set, I put the cowl rubber on and we set it on the tub to see if it was stretched wide enough.  Also checked the fit of the lowest tube on the cowl and measured the distance from the windshield to the steering wheel.  Surprisingly only needed minor adjustments.
Then lastly, put the signature back on.

Edited by McG - 30 Mar. 2018 at 10:36am
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar. 2018 at 1:47pm
Wow nice job on that piece,thanks for showing how it was made.I been going through your build and I've been using the word wow almost every time I write something .Thumbs Up

Edited by Gil - 29 Mar. 2018 at 2:15pm
1946 cj2a 59108
1998 Jeep Cherokee 2 doors
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2018 at 5:16am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Then lastly, put the signature back on.

Wait a minute--that part can't be as easy as you wrote it!  What exactly did it take??  Wacko

Excellent work, BTW!!
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
McG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2018 at 10:31am
Thanks guys, really wasn't that bad.  Of course when you have the pattern and the wood pieces already prepared for you, helps a little.Wink

For the inner windshield I used an MD Juan, because mine like so many others was shot after it was sandblasted.  It wasn't square and the center post wasn't centered.  You would think a pretty basic thing that they might not screw up, but seems like I am much more surprised if a piece is even close to right.  Also the part of it where it slides into the outer frame is usually off, so you need to double check that it doesn't fall out if you open it too wide!

Last thing is to make these little corners on each side.  Obviously, it makes it a little hard to get on with it fully wrapping around.  This way the seams are hidden by the cowl rubber.

Edited by McG - 30 Mar. 2018 at 10:39am
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2018 at 1:26pm
I think what most are curious about is your WILLYS stamping.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar. 2018 at 2:00pm
Really nice work McG Thumbs Up I would think the wooden forms are something that are pretty rare? Is that something that gets passed down through the Jeeper generations? Great work, that windshield is got a soul Smile
McG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2018 at 10:33am
Originally posted by rocnroll rocnroll wrote:

I think what most are curious about is your WILLYS stamping.

That is done with tooling made long before I needed it and a 30 ton press.

Originally posted by ggordon49 ggordon49 wrote:

Really nice work McG Thumbs Up I would think the wooden forms are something that are pretty rare? Is that something that gets passed down through the Jeeper generations? Great work, that windshield is got a soul Smile

The wood pieces were made long before I needed them as well and used on restorations in the shop.  One side is nothing special, just holds the metal flat.  The other was just routed to match the tubing of the frame.

Edited by McG - 31 Mar. 2018 at 10:55am
McG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2018 at 10:42am
Today made the pieces to fill in the corners. When I fitted it to the jeep, there wasn't enough clearance and curve on the sides for the rubber so I had to cut a slice down the middle and ball peen it closed, the re-weld.

Then put the cowl rubber on again to see how things fit.

Edited by McG - 31 Mar. 2018 at 10:56am
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar. 2018 at 1:03pm
Nice work

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr. 2018 at 11:29pm
I want to see the Willys tooling and the press. 
McG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2018 at 10:43am
nothing special, just a normal 20 ton shop press.

sorry not a better picture, but very difficult to get apart, let alone get back together.

McG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2018 at 10:46am
Managed to get a few things etched.  Hopefully get them primed today and finish the hood.
McG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr. 2018 at 10:55am
Some cool pictures comparing Luzon Red with Harvard Red.

Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2018 at 6:03am
Cool pictures indeed!  Thanks for sharing!
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
mkoloc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkoloc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr. 2018 at 8:51am
Truly all about the look of the Harvard Red for me ..Red has always been my favorite!  In fact I've decided to go with that color on my jeep and SPEN trailer.   I like the way it pops against the gloss black and figure it will look great with my gloss white wheels.  Can't wait to get paint on the tub.
LTC Mark Koloc (USA-RET)
MVPA#31144
OEF Afghan 03-04
OEF Africa 05-07
OEF KFOR 08-09
WTB 09-11
1942 Ford GPW
43 M16A2 Half-Track w/44 M10      
Trlr
1943 M3 Sct Car
1947 CJ2A
McG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr. 2018 at 10:41am
Got the hood painted.  I want to give the paint a few more days before mounting it.

also, The guys got a cool new restore job in.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314>