Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Harvard Red '46 CJ2A #59359 all in the family

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sm1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2016 at 3:07pm
I've noticed guys get pretty hung up on "original" color and trying to match original chips, but I personally think Willys paint factories and or supplies were a little loosie goosie with quality control.  I believe whenever they opened a new drum they took the "horseshoes and hand grenades approach", so the last Jeep painted out of that batch may not look quite the same as the first Jeep out of this batch.  That being said... you can find chips and codes online, the guys on here are a fantastic resource.  I plan on going with something "close" to original that I like.  My CJ2A was originally Harvest Tan and what I believe was Autumn Yellow, some guys say Sunset Red, both of which look like a pumpkin orange.  I also think Willys was trying to hang with the tractor guys of the time.  How close are Harvard Red and Farmall red?
sm 46 CJ-2A 16265
McG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2016 at 3:18pm
I'd say Harvard would be closer to Farmall than this color that was on there. The Farmall was used when it was repainted by my father. Just wondering if the shawnee, which is supposedly a willys color in 46, could have been used on this jeep. I guess not that big of a deal but certainly unusual and trying to figure if possible.  Especially when it is all  over the firewall.  The picture was taken from the well behind the drivers seat.  Both are places that should be somewhat protected. I'm not really all that concerned about an exact match, but if something unusual happened with the paint, I would be inclined to keep it the same.

Edited by McG - 12 June 2016 at 12:29pm
SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SE Kansas 46 CJ-2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2016 at 3:38pm
Reds have a habit of fading, particularly if they have been out in the sun for years. What may have started out as Harvard red could very well end up after a few years as an orange red.

Ol' Red was originally Harvard red but when I got it twenty five years after it left the factory is looked somewhat orange except under the dash which was still Harvard red.
46 CJ-2A #64462 "Ol' Red" (bought April 1969)(second owner)(12 V, 11" brakes, M-38 frame, MD Juan tub)

U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer(ret.)
U.S. Army Vietnam veteran and damned proud of it.

Adrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2016 at 5:56am
Great Jeep, I like those prices on the receipt!, put an extra zero on them nowLOL
1946 CJ-2A Column Change 14605
1973 Saab 96
McG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2016 at 11:05am
Been pretty busy lately but thought I would add some updates.  I have the jeep completely disassembled and the first thing was to check out the rears.  No oil, but pretty clean.

McG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2016 at 11:09am
Got the axles out and everything cleaned up, but apparently one of the races split (I thought I broke it with the axle puller) and ground off a little of the axle housing.  Luckily, my wife's uncle has a machine shop.  He is going to ream it out and make a sleeve to put in and keep the bearing race nice and tight.

Edited by McG - 02 Apr. 2017 at 11:03pm
McG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2016 at 11:15am
I also got the front axle apart.

This axle still had the oil in it but the king pin bearings were bad.  Still replacing the seals and should be good to go.  Wrong. Differential bearings were bad as well.  ended up completely disassembling and putting new bearing in the pinion as well.  Man that is a pain to reassemble.

Edited by McG - 02 Oct. 2016 at 4:28pm
McG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2016 at 12:04pm
This week it was transmission and transfer case rebuild.  When I separated the 2, heard the needle bearings hitting the bottom.  Time to rebuild!  I got the kit from Novak.  I believe the Walcks one would be just as good.  Very easy to rebuild.  I've never touched a transmission before and it only took me a couple of hours.  Just used the tools Rick Stivers web page recommended and it was a snap.

The transfer case started out to just replace the seals and gaskets and ended up a full rebuild.  You almost disassemble the whole thing, so might as well put new bearings in as well.  It was a bear at first, but then figuring out the tricks to removing the shifter housing (That little poppit that slides over and prevents you for removing the shifting rod)  made it much easier.

McG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep. 2016 at 11:39am
I've been busy glass beading and painting all of the small parts.  Man that takes a lot of time.
Been using a spray paint from Industrial Paint Coatings or IPC from Applied Maintenance solutions.  Man, that stuff is the best rattle can paint I have ever used.  It goes on thicker than most paints I have used before, doesn't run and dries like a sheet of glass!  Awesome stuff.
The big items were all sand blasted and coated with epoxy primer and then painted a satin black.  Some of them had to be repainted because I went with a Semi-Gloss the first time and modern semi-gloss paint is the equivalent of older gloss paints, just way too glossy.

Edited by McG - 02 Oct. 2016 at 4:29pm
swmoboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swmoboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep. 2016 at 12:19pm
Looking forward to following your progress on your Jeep.  Happy for you that you have the privilege to restore this family heirloom.  
1947 CJ2a #155307
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep. 2016 at 10:41pm
Looking good!
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
McG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct. 2016 at 12:18pm
Things have been a little slow lately.  You can tell from the dust on the frame.  Been busy on the farm so progress has slowed to a halt.  I finished rebuilding the front axle with all new bearings and ran the brake lines.  Bunch of little things.  Next rainy day I hope to get the motor/transmission and transfer case in and start on the rear axle.

Edited by McG - 13 Nov. 2016 at 4:34pm
McG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2016 at 2:45pm
I am just finishing up harvest on the farm plus my floor panels just came in  to Walck's so it is time to jump back in.  I had time to work on the rims last week.  They are Black w/ the Wake Ivory stripe.  Weird color, kind of a creamy yellow.  It's hard to get a picture that doesn't make it look white.

Edited by McG - 13 Nov. 2016 at 4:36pm
McG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2016 at 2:47pm
Here's a picture with them mounted.

Edited by McG - 13 Nov. 2016 at 4:21pm
McG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2016 at 2:49pm
Things are starting to come together.  I'm getting the motor back with the transmission and transfer case.

Edited by McG - 13 Nov. 2016 at 4:22pm
a4cj2a77 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote a4cj2a77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov. 2016 at 3:58pm
You are making great progress in a short period of time. After you finish it should be good for another 70 yrs. Can't wait to see more
Phil
McG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov. 2016 at 11:48am
its was a busy week. Got the axle back together.  had to wait on more shims, didn't quite have enough to get the end play right.

After getting the rear axle on.  Finally get a look at it with the new shoes on.

Also got the motor in.

Almost a rolling chassis.  Just a few more things.

I couldn't find one of the bushings for the generator, so have to wait to finish that.

Still need to wire the nuts on the e-brake backing plate, then driveshafts go on.

The line coming out of the bottom of the radiator appears to have been re soldered and the angle is way off from original.  Guess I am gonna have to eliminate the stock tube that would have been used.

Edited by McG - 13 Nov. 2016 at 4:49pm
Flatfender Ben View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flatfender Ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov. 2016 at 4:29pm
Wow that looks amazing
I like the wheels with the pinstripes.
Well done.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>