Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Harvard Red '46 CJ2A #59359 all in the family

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 14>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2017 at 12:01am
Wow...just read through all 6 pages. Very Impressive work! 
McG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec. 2017 at 9:12am
Thank you !  Hopefully, I can keep on this till its done.  I has been hard waiting but the farm pays the bills !  I have a little down time now, while some of the equipment is being repaired.
McG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec. 2017 at 10:20am
Finished the etching primer and started with the glass filler.  Left some bare metal on the tub for when I put in the toolbox.  I left the box out for now so I  could get some of the etching primer along with regular primer and sealer on the inside of the toolbox and inside the support frames.

Edited by McG - 06 Jan. 2018 at 10:28am
McG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2018 at 10:38am
got the holes for the driver seat and the support piece welded in and the holes and spacers for the supports for the spare tire.

Also finally finished all of the glass filler and got the toolbox installed.  I am going for the original factory look, not the perfect new car look.  I want to see spot welds and such, so may be adding them back in.  It was very easy to be 1 1/16 or 1/8th off on the panels, whereas the factory panels would be much more precise.  Thus, lots of filler in places.    The toolbox etching primer is a different color because the box was etched last year with the old etching primer that they quit making.  The lighter green is some newer kind of etching primer they use on airplanes. Next is the 2K primer. 

Edited by McG - 07 Jan. 2018 at 11:33am
McG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2018 at 11:12am
My jeep originally came with a "front top".  I assume this means it would only have 2 of the 4 bows that would be held in the side bow brackets.  They would be the top 2 bows with the tabs on them.  how would they be secure without the bottom 2 for the rear also in the holder?
McG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan. 2018 at 11:12am
If a jeep was ordered without a rear seat, would they have still had the bolt holes for for the under floor clip that the rear support snaps in to? Would the main knockout piece still be there?.  Every original body I have seen has the rear seat in it or has been added. Anyone have a picture of an original rear floor without a rear seat?
McG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan. 2018 at 9:43am
I got the jeep covered with 2k primer this week.

You might notice the guide coat paint already on the tub.  Also got started with a little bondo.  Wouldn't be a flat fender without flat fenders!

Edited by McG - 16 Jan. 2018 at 9:55am
Does10s View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Does10s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan. 2018 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Also got started with a little bondo.  Wouldn't be a flat fender without flat fenders!

Wouldn't be a flat fender without tool dents, beer can condensation rings, a little rust, and a fatigue crack on two on said flat fenders! Wink

Later,
Will

'48 Willy's CJ-2A
Gil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2018 at 2:13am
You're almost at the fun part." Paint " Thumbs Up
1946 cj2a 59108
1998 Jeep Cherokee 2 doors
2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
McG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan. 2018 at 10:06am
almost there for sure !!!  makes it much faster when you sand the guide coat off and all you see are spot welds.  Perfect!!!  Let those babies shine through the paint!

Edited by McG - 16 Jan. 2018 at 10:46am
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2018 at 3:19am
I like that you are leaving the spot welds showing
lets go for a rip eh bud

Andy
McG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2018 at 10:10am
thank you.  I have to keep reminding myself that these were far from perfect when they were made.  My objective is to make it as close as I can to when it rolled onto the farm in 1946.  Luckily there is an all original not too far away that rolled off the line within 3 days of mine! s/n is only 546 off!

Edited by McG - 18 Jan. 2018 at 10:19am
McG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan. 2018 at 10:13am
today I got the fenders , grill and tailgate in the booth for sealer.  Only found one spot that needs addressed!

Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2018 at 6:54am
Nice little red jeep !

And the body is looking very presentable. My recent '46 CJ2a purchase looks to be originaly Harvest Red.
   It is number 59219. ( the tailgate is gone and the opening welded shut )

Just think how nice and tight that jeep will be when reassembled.

I bought mine in January 2018, and haven't tried to start it yet.

My brother in law couldn't believe i would buy a jeep without a battery or knowing if it runs. I am assuming it needs attention with water leaking out between the block and head. ( maybe i will get to raise-the-compression ).

I am hoping to keep my little 2A mostly stock, but with transmission swap to a T98 or T18.

The T-18 transmission is a real-booger to dissassemble, where a NP235 will fall-apart in your lap and is very easy to work on.

Keep your momentum !

Len
McG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan. 2018 at 10:26am
  Wow Len, thats incredible!  140 off and on opposite sides of the country.  If you want any other pictures of the "all original" for comparison, I have many more. What are the odds of having 3 so close in s/n, last 70 years?  Must have been a good week at the factory.  Hopefully it will be red next week.
Why the transmission swap?  the T-90s are so easy to work on. 
McG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb. 2018 at 9:35am
here is my idea for a "new" original tank.  I cut the sides off of  an original in the scrap pile at the shop.  The tank was really far gone.  blasted and painted them and then glued them to the sides of a Juan tank.
Viola!  Guys at the shop kinda laughed at my idea, mostly because of the time it took to do something relatively insignificant.  But using my own time made it worthwhile.

I do have an extra set if someone wants to do this to theirs.  

Edited by McG - 13 Feb. 2018 at 10:02am
bgirmus View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bgirmus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2018 at 10:06pm
Great looking restoration!  FYI,  Peter Debella (and possibly other vendors as well) now sell repro tanks with the OLACO stamp:

Brandon
1946 CJ2A 46191
1943 MB 265211
leecarr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leecarr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2018 at 10:11pm
Cool idea with the gas tank stamping. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 14>