Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Your Jeep Project
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Harvard Red '46 CJ2A #59359 all in the family

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 14>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2018 at 10:15am
I took the tape off and let it cure for another day.  Probably going to set the tub on the frame today.

I love how the spot welds barely show through.  It was tough to get a shot that showed them very well.
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2018 at 11:15am
Looks great. I love the color. Glad you kept those little "imperfections" I've always felt it's part of what makes these things what they are. 

Awesome work. Congrats!
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
McG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2018 at 11:27am
Thank you.  To me that is one of the things that makes this restoration unique.  You can make it too nice.  I purposely made some welds look bad.  Some of the paint is not the best in some spots.  That's, OK because overall it is still probably nicer than new.  I constantly have to hold myself back from making this too nice and remind myself these things were thrown together and originally designed to last 2 weeks before they got blown up.  I am trying to make it look (as close as I can) like it looked the day it rolled onto our farm in 1946.  I know I have made a few mistakes so far and some I couldn't really correct ( the welds on the cowling I could not duplicate so I made it flat figuring it will be hidden by the windshield frame). Thanks again for the positive feedback.
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2018 at 11:10pm
It looks pretty darn good from here!  Nice work!
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
McG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb. 2018 at 11:37pm
finally got the tub sitting on the chassis.  There is a glare in the photos I couldn't correct.

All of the holes seem to line up

next week is gonna be fun

Edited by McG - 10 Feb. 2018 at 11:41pm
CJ2A-CT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJ2A-CT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2018 at 12:49am
Jay, Great work!  You have to be happy with the direction this is going.... I know I'd be....
46 CJ2a 22786 Brer Rabbit, 53 Willys Wagon, 62 Willys Pickup building with son-in-law, Jason
LuzonRed47 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LuzonRed47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2018 at 1:41am
That 'shop shot' with the 2A in the foreground and the Pickup on the lift is Willys Heaven!

Really nice job on your 2A--and thanks for all the detail on the restoration. I've picked up a number of good tips thus far. Will be interested in any insights you can share on installing and wiring the instruments and working behind the instrument panel in general. Thanks.
CJ2A #140275 "Ziggie" (purchased new by my dad in 1947)
ACM #124334
CJ3A windshield, Warn Overdrive
1953 Strick M100 trailer
Serial #18253
sparky13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb. 2018 at 6:08pm
Well Jay,  You got the tub installed yesterday. It is looking really good. Keep up the good work.
Mark
1946 CJ2A
Millennium falcon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2018 at 1:08pm
That looks wonderful! good job! 
srlbotanical View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote srlbotanical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb. 2018 at 2:25pm
Fantastic! Looks real good.
Steve
1948 CJ2A - The Good Dog
1997 TJ - The Trail Rig
2001 XJ - The kids ride

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb. 2018 at 3:49am
The race is on......... ;) 
McG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb. 2018 at 10:35am
Got the exhaust out.  Had the wrong pipe the first time.  The correct one on the right.   I have them all painted and ready to go on and just realized I have the wrong hangers.  Always something!

I also had the heater pressure tested and reinstalled

Probably work on getting the dash done today.  Hopefully start on getting some of the other parts painted red.  They are ready for paint just haven't gotten done yet.  metal work is done on the hood but it is still bare steel and the windshield is torn apart and need of lots of repairs,  Looking at getting another original one to use.  Mine will need significant work.  Not going to be much of a race I'm afraid Millennium.  Where in PA are you?  The shop is in Mountville, outside of Lancaster

Edited by McG - 14 Feb. 2018 at 11:00am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Millennium falcon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb. 2018 at 1:54pm
Looking good man.... Ive got a monkey wrench in the works that will be slowing me down soon.....  Im near williamsport pa. 
mkoloc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkoloc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2018 at 6:48am
Jay read your project post twice just to make sure I didn't miss anything.  Outstanding job and excellent craftsmanship and detailed work on your restoration.  I am always impressed with the skillset of fabricators and enjoyed your pictures and captions. Thank you for sharing.  It's a great motivator for those of us working on our own restoration projects!

Attended my watch making school in York (30 month course 2013-15)  and got to Baltimore  often to visit with one of my classmates and his family.  

COL K

Edited by mkoloc - 16 Feb. 2018 at 6:51am
LTC Mark Koloc (USA-RET)
MVPA#31144
OEF Afghan 03-04
OEF Africa 05-07
OEF KFOR 08-09
WTB 09-11
1942 Ford GPW
43 M16A2 Half-Track w/44 M10      
Trlr
1943 M3 Sct Car
1947 CJ2A
McG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb. 2018 at 11:21am
Its a small world!  Mark,I sent you a PM back, check your box.  Today got the tailgate, tank, repainted the grill and a few small parts.  Used about a pint of paint.  Hopefully work on getting them on next week after the paint cures.  Today, I worked on wiring and took apart the rear tail light, drilled 2 vertical holes to match the tub and wired the 2 wires from the harness and soldered them into place.  Now that light looks pretty original.

mkoloc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mkoloc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2018 at 4:12am
Jay thank you for the PM.  Footman loops, notice you have not installed them yet on the tub.  Is that in the plan?  If so, would it be possible to get the dimensions for the install?  I have not done a search on the forum yet to see if there's a layout for installing them.  Just thought I'd ask the home team, your shop seems to be the do all be all Clap .

Markus
LTC Mark Koloc (USA-RET)
MVPA#31144
OEF Afghan 03-04
OEF Africa 05-07
OEF KFOR 08-09
WTB 09-11
1942 Ford GPW
43 M16A2 Half-Track w/44 M10      
Trlr
1943 M3 Sct Car
1947 CJ2A
McG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2018 at 12:03pm
did a little work on the tail light today.  The replacement has the mounting bolts horizontal whereas the holes are vertical.  Getting it through the support brace is tough.  I just drilled the 2 new holes.  While the wire was out I switched out the wires with the one that came with the harness.  Soldered new ends on them and had to remove a little of the cloth so the wires could slide.  Lastly, took a little superglue and glued the cloth cover to the back of the light. and done.

ndnchf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndnchf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb. 2018 at 12:52pm
I like those tail lights, they look better than mine. Are you using LED bulbs? I put them in mine much brighter and draw must less current.

1948 CJ2A - It goes nowhere fast, but anywhere slow.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 14>