Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Has anybody used one of these on a 2A

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NormanSalido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Has anybody used one of these on a 2A
    Posted: 13 Dec. 2018 at 2:51am
NormanSalido View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NormanSalido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec. 2018 at 2:55am
Does anybody know if this top 10 1948 cj2a coma I'm looking at buying one but I'm not sure it's going to fit and it's 4 hours away from me and it's too cold and I'm not planning on driving my Jeep.
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec. 2018 at 3:30am
It looks like the one I have on my 46.
1946 CJ2A 14098
RA472A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RA472A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec. 2018 at 3:03pm
I believe it is an M38 Arctic top.  You will need the vertical windshield to make it fit.  then you will need to alter your 2A for that.  Personally, I would opt for some original top bows and nice canvas.  Much quieter and easier to remove when not wanted.  Just my .02

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NormanSalido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec. 2018 at 9:48pm
I'm looking to get a hardtop cause I'm in Kansas and the weather is cold and i found this one for a good price, what kind of alterations have to be done to it? I comes with a square windshield so that's a plus.
RA472A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RA472A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec. 2018 at 11:04pm
Oops, I didn't see the windshield with it.  You may be good to go then.  I'd just make sure pivot brackets are the same so you don't have to drill any new holes in the body.
Moonrunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moonrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec. 2018 at 11:19pm
Hey, another Kansan!    ...windy today out here in the Hays area....and cold too. Where you located?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NormanSalido Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2018 at 12:41am
I'm in junction city yeahhh its cold 
Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2018 at 1:02am
Originally posted by RA472A RA472A wrote:

Oops, I didn't see the windshield with it.  You may be good to go then.  I'd just make sure pivot brackets are the same so you don't have to drill any new holes in the body.

There are No Pivot Brackets on an arctic top!, the windsheild is fixed!...

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
Moonrunner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moonrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2018 at 1:33am
Originally posted by NormanSalido NormanSalido wrote:

I'm in junction city yeahhh its cold 
We had an Artic top on a M 38 when we lived in the Denver area many years ago. It was very heavy and loud. When I finally took it off it seemed as though the jeep had gained another 10 or more horsepower. It never went back on. 

Our current 2a has an aluminum top of unknown origion. The PO said it was made by a Wichita aircraft company and they had it installed in 1948. The paint is getting thin on the top and showing a yellow primer or other surface prep.

Stay warm there in JC. If you are passing by Hays sometime, give me a shout and we can talk Jeeps over a cup of coffee.
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec. 2018 at 7:06am
If that top was made by an aircraft manufacturer in 1948, that yellow primer is likely a zinc chromate primer. If it is not flaking, you can paint over it & it will be fine.

Note: There were at least three aircraft manufacturers in Wichita at that time.
 Post Reply Post Reply