Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

hat channel and repro tubs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hat channel and repro tubs
    Posted: 01 Nov. 2005 at 11:28pm

i will probibly go with a repro tub for my project. the original hat channel with the amc number stamped in it is just about the only thing i can save off the old tub. should i move it over to the new tub?

also is there a way to reproduce some of the tub details like the drain holes on the sides. i dont believe the repro tubs have them.

'46 CJ2A

"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security"
Benjamin Franklin
Joshua Sayre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joshua Sayre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov. 2005 at 11:55pm
Where is the original hat channel #?

Another question to add to this thread
I bought a tub from out west and had it shipped east way.  It turns out the tub is two tubs that are welded together right at the gas tank.  I believe both halfs to be cj2a, though maybe the back is cj3a.  I plan on using this tub after fixing up the welds. I really don't feel bad using this tub because it needs minimal work to look like a great cj2a tub and will cost around 800 bucks less than a reproduction tub. The rear of my new tub doesn't have the top bow brackets in the corners weleded in and in the corners it goes straight into them so there is like a square  in the right and left rear of the body? Anyone have a clue on what my body is a hybrid of? 
GaryArf View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryArf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2005 at 7:41am

jray, I would remove the ACM numbered toe gusset, it will give some more stuff to do with your angle grinder. after you get it off you can decide if you want to take that grinder to your new tub.

Joshua, the "hat channel" jray is referring to is the ACM body number on the firewall support that goes to the frame. The # is on the face just above the stearing gearbox, these #'s are fairly large but sometimes not stamped in too deep. Hope this helps as I can't help you on the square cornered tub.

geoff bull View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geoff bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2005 at 2:34pm

Hi jray,If it`s an M.D.Juan body tub or kit they do come with the drain vents in the sides,When I bought one a little while back the only thing that was missing off the tub was the jeep script from the toolbox riser,but that may now be on them.

You will need all the bow sockets from around the sides including the stowage pockets and the ones on the wheel boxes to transfer those over,you will also have to drill all the holes in the floor for the pedals etc,but the gauge holes are there in the dash.You will have to do a little playing about with the body to get it to fit but is worth it in the end.Don`t throw your old body away until you have the new tub fitted as you will need to take measurements from it.

hope this helps you

46 2a #54088
41 slatgrill Mb,
52 M38#53132 55 M38A1#83015
Mike Gardner View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Gardner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov. 2005 at 7:29pm

hey jay, there is a guy in kingsville. he got one of those tubs. his name is alex and he had alot of fab work and problems w/ his. he posts here from time to time. i think he post under uncle a there is a pic of his jeep on my photo page. it is harvest tan on one of the first pages. i have some spare tub peices laying around if you come across something thats a problem. it is yours for the taking if you need something.

later,

mike

1945 CJ-2A 11713
1995 YJ 4.0
 Post Reply Post Reply