Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hauler project update

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hauler project update
    Posted: 23 Aug. 2022 at 6:16pm
I reached a milestone this week with my cargo-to-toy hauler project. I finally completed the anchor points mounting so the jeep can go in. Two weeks ago I took it for a weekend camping event to my family reunion without the jeep. All systems go there, with the slight hiccup of my wife not fully understanding the concept of a "navy shower". Now I'm ready for the jeep to go along and all that's left is a little more minor trim work and some painting. Took the pic with my laptop so I'm apologizing now if they aren't high quality.
James 4:6 God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.
oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2022 at 6:17pm
Here's a shot of the front kitchen area.

oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2022 at 6:19pm
and another of old Chigger at home.

Lee MN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2022 at 7:50pm
Nice work, have fun with it 😎

Lee
               LEE
44 GPW-The Perfected Willys
49 2A
“If you wait, you only get older”
67 M715
American Made Rolling History
OnlyOneDR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnlyOneDR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2022 at 7:58pm
Neat stuff.  Is there a previous thread with more details somewhere?
Searching for time to put it all together...
1950 CJ-3A #37751 In Pieces
1969 Chevy Blazer Resto-Mod Waiting for its day...
2001 Nissan Frontier Crawler Adventure Rig
chasendeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chasendeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2022 at 8:43pm
Looks good. Have you pulled it at highway speeds loaded? Looks like it may have a light younger weight. 
Jay
Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2022 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by oldscot3 oldscot3 wrote:

All systems go, with the slight hiccup of my wife not fully understanding the concept of a "navy shower".

Pretty sure that requires "soap-on-a-rope" --- at least it does for Marines anyway. LOL

Looks nice!

Edited by Ron D - 23 Aug. 2022 at 8:56pm
1951 M38
1951 M100
oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2022 at 9:05pm
Originally posted by OnlyOneDR OnlyOneDR wrote:

Neat stuff.  Is there a previous thread with more details somewhere?

I had a post quite awhile ago, but haven't posted much because of the slow progress. The idea is to be able to haul the Willys, unload, and then use the trailer to camp in. I've got it set up with 12 volt solar to run lights and water pump. If I need the AC, I'll use a generator or connect to shore power if it's available.
oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2022 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by chasendeer chasendeer wrote:

Looks good. Have you pulled it at highway speeds loaded? Looks like it may have a light younger weight. 
Jay

Tongue weight? The rig is 24 feet; with all the cabinets, range, sink and ice chest up front, I need the jeep way back to balance properly. I haven't towed with the jeep inside yet, but I have checked the tongue weight with a hanging scale. 
Jw60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jw60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2022 at 9:24pm
Looks fun, you'll need to post the final weight with the jeep loaded and all systems ready for the road. 
oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2022 at 9:33pm
Originally posted by Jw60 Jw60 wrote:

Looks fun, you'll need to post the final weight with the jeep loaded and all systems ready for the road. 

Yes. I've got my guesstimate using printed specs, but the scale tells the truth. There is a rock sales business not far away from me that sells stones for landscaping. They have a large drive on scale that I will be headed to before I hit the highway. I need that number to nail down how much weight to put on the tongue. 
muley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2022 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by Ron D Ron D wrote:

All systems go, with the slight hiccup of my wife not fully understanding the concept of a "navy shower".

Pretty sure that requires "soap-on-a-rope" --- at least it does for Marines anyway. LOL

Looks nice!
Navy showerLOLLOL the gals like to go "Hollywood".
Joined Jan-8 2015
I never met a mule I didn't like!
OD Mule 01-52 M38
Big Red 19fiddy CJ3A salad
oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2022 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by muley muley wrote:

Originally posted by Ron D Ron D wrote:

Looks nice!
Navy showerLOLLOL the gals like to go "Hollywood".

Oh, my goodness! She used over half of our 50 gallons by bedtime, the first night. Pinch
Rick G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug. 2022 at 11:33pm
That’s a nice looking setup.  I’ll have to go back and find the other thread on this rig!
1947 CJ2a #119929    "Gus"
1951 CJ3a #451-GB1-24268   “Newt”

My Videos
Jw60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jw60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2022 at 10:49am
25gal in one night is more than the 6 of us... 

Here's what I do to help the kids understand, take a little red wagon and a few buckets (we have a aquatainer and a soft 5gal water cube.) My boys bring there gladiator, I don't have to ask twice for them to get 5gal of water.

oldscot3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldscot3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug. 2022 at 2:43pm
Good idea. I'm thinking future trips that she comes on will be to parks or campsites that have hookups. Boondocking trips, (like to deer camp), she'll stay home.

I will say, part of the problem may be our Camplux water heater. It gets the water really hot unless you turn the flame to the lowest setting and the water to its highest flow. Then it runs water through at a pretty good volume rate.

Edited by oldscot3 - 24 Aug. 2022 at 2:48pm
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug. 2022 at 12:00pm
Nice set up. I had to laugh about the Navy shower (and soap on a rope). The first time we boondocked in our camper I went through the same issue. It's a great lesson and especially poignant these days, especially if you live in the Southwest. My Dad preached that stuff when we were growing up, and we lived in MI, where water is abundant. "You don't need to let the water run the whole time you brush your teeth, or take a shower, or wash your face. Can you hear that pump running? That costs money!" Sometimes I forget all the great lessons I learned from him. 

Edited by drm101 - 25 Aug. 2022 at 12:01pm
Dean
'47 CJ2A "Ron"
'66 CJ5 "Buckie"
The less the Power the More the Force
 Post Reply Post Reply