Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Head Preparation

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Head Preparation
    Posted: 13 Feb. 2018 at 12:05am
Is there anything to do to a new head before installing. The mounting surfaces will be clean but does the exterior of the head need to be treated in any way. I wouldnt mind painting it but I dont really have a set up to paint anything.
drm101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drm101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2018 at 12:41am
Clean it with wax and grease cleaner and spray it with rattle can engine paint. No primer required.  If you can find a chunk of granite, you could put 220 sandpaper on it and run the head across to get it perfectly flat and smooth, but this shouldn't be required with a new head. I like copper gaskets. Double check and clean all the fastener hole threads. I had several that were suspect and heli-coiled them. It's a drag when you feel a bolt turn too far and pull all the threads out, and heli-coiling is pretty easy, requiring no special tools. 
Mark W. View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark W. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb. 2018 at 2:19am
USE VHT Engine Paint. Good stuff not expensive Autozone carries it.
Chug A Lug
1948 2A Body Customized
1949 3A W/S
1957 CJ5 Frame Modified
Late 50's 134L 9.25"clutch T90A D18 (1.25") D44/30 flanged E-Locker D25 5.38 Since 1962
Alpine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb. 2018 at 11:59pm
OK, I am going to paint the head this weekend. Having never painted an engine part before I will use VHT spray paint. How do I protect the threads, I assume taping them would be difficult. Do I put the spark plugs in, will that work?
jeeper50 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeeper50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2018 at 12:04am
Use an old set if you have them or roll up some paper towels and stick them in the spark plug holes.

Belleview ol skool winch soon.
'48 CJ2A 283 V8 sm 420 granny low, tera low D18, overdrive,lockers

Texan at heart,Alabama by retirement

rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar. 2018 at 12:46am
Four corks?......if you don't have four old plugs laying around.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
 Post Reply Post Reply