Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Head Replacement

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 June 2018 at 9:56pm
Sorry, I guess I missed that....just got in on the answer.

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2018 at 2:57am

Heck, I have been trying to figure out how to say what Bruce said with a little more tact.

If Willeys49 want to pull his head just for grins, it is his Jeep, time, & $$, he can do with it as he pleases.

With 100 PSI of compression, there is nothing wrong with his head, or it's gasket.

I suspect that the firing order is the problem. To check this, find TDC, (Top Dead Center), of #1 cylinder just after the compression stroke. Then pop the distributor cap & look in the distributor to see which post of the distributor cap the rotor is pointing at. That one should have #1 spark plug wire on it. Next watch the rotor while a friend spins the engine over. This way one can know which way the rotor is turning. Then one can double check to be sure that the spark plug wires are in the correct order.

Oh, just in case you did not know, the cylinders are numbered front to back. #1 is the front one. #4 is the aft one.

IHTH, Cpt Logger.
Bill2A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill2A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2018 at 4:11am
If in doubt about the rotation being correct, try reversing it from what you thought was right.
I promise, it can't run any less.
1946 CJ2A 14098
48walker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 June 2018 at 9:56pm
Any chance you nicked or pinched a coil wire and have an exposed wife making contact against the head or block?
cowboy64 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowboy64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2018 at 2:12am
ok..i'll jump in..an 'exposed wife' in the jeep ?? Lol
mam
cpt logger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpt logger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2018 at 2:52am
Hey, Whatever Mr & Mrs Walker do in the privacy of their Jeep, is no concern of mine!

I really do not want to know why or how they may have nicked or pinched a coil wire.
48walker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2018 at 3:25am
Flexibility
wadoyado View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wadoyado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2018 at 2:17pm
There you guys go off on a tangent again, better get back on track. Was Mrs. Walker exposed before or after she went in the garage? Joe W
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the jeep you've been driving all your life" (Mickey Mantle paraphrase)
Hey2a View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hey2a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2018 at 9:28pm
I am hoping it was just the firing order...I seen it done it too many times...not being on the compression stroke.....any update...
1946 CJ2a
1978 CJ7
2002 KJ
M100
48walker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2018 at 10:13pm
None of this has been constructive, pertinent or responsive to the original question. 
And besides, my wife is very respectable, don't assume she would go for something like that. It could have been any wife that was exposed
Willeys 49 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willeys 49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2018 at 3:04am
I would like to thank everyone for there advice . I followed the Timing checklist and she is purring like a kitten! A little more adjustments on the air mixture she will be ready for Good Guys !

After all of this I one thing I have learned is that I am never to old to take advice and give credit where credit is due . I would of never got this 49 running without great guys like yourselves. Thanks again
Willeys 49 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Willeys 49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2018 at 3:07am
Would like to say thanks for all your advice! She’s purring like a kitten.

Followed that timing checklist and poof she’s ready for Good Guys Thanks again
48walker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2018 at 3:32am
Congrats, good work
Greaser007 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greaser007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2018 at 3:58pm
   It is so great to get things running smoothly. (my 2A is not yet).
I also enjoyed the diagram shown on the link from rocnroll, where it noted "after the 4-th attempt *!?\\ look elsewhere" ha, and i am looking and have found some Solex clone info to digest.

One thing i will share is that i normally try (try) to find TDC of compression stroke and in the proccess, check rotation of Distributor. While at TDC, then look for timing mark alignment and if not, who cares. Then rotate dist until rotor points to no. 1 spark plug, ..... follow the Diagram on that link.   I bookmarked that Link too, thank you Rocnroll !

Earlier this year, i had runability issues with my Ford 300 inline six. The engine would backfire through both intake and exhaust at idle and upon an attempt to start off from a dead stop to accelerate, but only stumbled badly and backfired in protest. The pickup was on the Pacific coast for 6 years in the humid air.   After taking it to the local Auto-Electric shop, it was discovered that the points in the remote voltage regulator had Corroded, and i was not getting a full 12-volts to the coil. ... thought i would share that in case someone with run-ability issues may want to check the points in the external-voltage-regulator.   I was happy to get the issue resolved, and gladly paid the $300 which included a new regulator.

When you mentioned you had 100 lbs compression that told me your valve timing was correct. through all 4 cylinders that was terrific to have them consistent.

Len
rocnroll View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocnroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2018 at 4:40pm
.... ....

'47 CJ2A PU
'48 CJ2A Lefty

"Common sense is not that common"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12