Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HEADLIGHT BUCKET SWAP

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HEADLIGHT BUCKET SWAP
    Posted: 24 Apr. 2022 at 10:46pm
Hello guys
Curious and wondering if anyone has swapped out CJ-2A headlight buckets for '72/? headlight buckets. The later style look smaller and shallower in size which might be good for a upgraded radiator.  what do y'all think?
Thank, Jim
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2022 at 11:01pm
The early CJ headlights were all made by Autolite.
In 1953 the CJ-3 were standard with Hall headlights 
The Halls headlamps were used all through 1970.
The Autolite and Hall headlamps are not interchangable.
I’m not sure who made them but AMC went to what they called an open back headlamp in 1971. I suppose these are an updated design for the Hall headlamps ???

Edited by oldtime - 25 Apr. 2022 at 7:24am
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

jeepsterjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr. 2022 at 11:55pm
Originally posted by oldtime oldtime wrote:

The early CJ headlights were all made by Autolite.
In 1953 the CJ-3 were standard with Hall headlights 
The Halls headlamps were used all through 1970.
The Autolite and Hall headlamps are not interchangable.
I’m not sure who made them but AMC went to what they called an open back headlamp in 1971.

Good input as always!   Yes the AMC  ones are more "cone" shaped and a little shallower. Had a couple sets and gave them away, LOL, now I wish I had at least one to check out the possibilities. 
Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2022 at 7:20am
They could certainly be “made” to fit.
Know that the cutout opening in the grille guard is notably different so that grille cutting and shaping would be required.
Much better off to find the proper buckets.IMHO
Also know that military buckets will certainly be different than CJ buckets.
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2022 at 11:02am
If you are going to try and fit the open back AMC's, you could just shave the back off the stock units and be in the same place without messing with the mounting.
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
jeepsterjim View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepsterjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr. 2022 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by duffer duffer wrote:

If you are going to try and fit the open back AMC's, you could just shave the back off the stock units and be in the same place without messing with the mounting.

Yes I can use the old ones but I did not want to mess them up. SO that is why I was asking about the later style buckets.  Seems that the later ones won't work to well though.

Jim
CJ-2A - 81299
 Post Reply Post Reply