Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Tech Questions and Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Headlight issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeepVeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Headlight issues
    Posted: 20 May 2023 at 7:50am
I have new wiring harness installed, almost everything works but highbeam stays on regardless what I do with switch pulled all the way out.  So there is no high beam and tell tale light doesn't lit up either even high beam stays on.  I have repo main switch and high beam switch that I bought from KW but even if I installed the old one that came with jeep it's still does same thing.  It's cj2a.  I would like to post pics or a clip but I don't know how to.  Any suggestions?  Thanks 
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2023 at 8:22am
Seems to me like you may have the dimmer switch wired incorrectly.

Edited by oldtime - 20 May 2023 at 8:32am
Currently building my final F-134 powered 3B .
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

Rus Curtis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rus Curtis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2023 at 11:37am
Use this to cross check your work.

Rus Curtis
Alabama
1954 CJ3B
Bantam T3-C
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2023 at 12:36pm
it looks like maybe you solved one of your questions, but if not, regarding photos, lots on that subject here:

CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
DeepVeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeepVeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2023 at 9:37pm
DeepVeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeepVeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2023 at 9:46pm
K let me write this again,  I have installed new harness and changed everything to LED lights, everying works but headlights stays in highbeam position doesn't switch back and forth to low beam.  I have tried old light switch and highbeam foot switch but it does same thing.  I have installed LED headlights and Halo ring works with blinkers.  One more issue is there a continuity from foot switch to tell tale light socket but bulb doesn't come on even system stays in highbeam.  I'm running LED flasher and it's working with blinkers no issue there, it's only the high beam no matter how I swap terminal to terminal at the foot switch, nothing changes.  Let me know if anyone got solution to it.  By the way it's 12v system.  Once again thanks
DeepVeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeepVeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2023 at 9:52pm
oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2023 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by DeepVeer DeepVeer wrote:

but highbeam stays on regardless what I do with switch pulled all the way out.  So there is no high beam and tell tale light doesn't lit up either even high beam stays on

Edited by oldtime - 20 May 2023 at 10:35pm
T98-A Rock Crawler using exclusive factory parts and Approved Special Equipment from the Willys Motors era (1953-1963)
Zero aftermarket parts

oldtime View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldtime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2023 at 10:37pm
You say that the high beam stays on and then you said there is no high beam in the very next sentence.

Not familiar with walcks color coding but if you post a pic of your fender mounted junction block I could probably sort it out tomorrow.

To answer one question….
The “telltale” light will not come on if the “telltale” body is not grounded to the dash. 
Run a hot wire from battery “+” to tell tale wire in order to test lamp function.

Edited by oldtime - 20 May 2023 at 10:53pm
Zero aftermarket parts

Ron D View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2023 at 11:05pm
Maybe it's my imagination or just the angle of the shot, but are the contacts in this photo touching?

Edited by Ron D - 20 May 2023 at 11:06pm
1951 M38
1951 M100
DeepVeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeepVeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2023 at 11:51pm
I think I said it in very first post that highbeam stays on/ not stays on.

But they stay on all the time but I will double check the post on dimmer switch tomorrow morning to confirm if touching or not touching.  I have  installed my old foot switch and it was doing the same thing, so maybe it's not the switch it's something else wrong in the diagram that I got from KW.  Thanks 
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2023 at 9:32am
As asked before, show how the headlamps are connected to the terminal block on the fender. And have you checked the headlamps with a jumper wire to see if the are working correctly?
BOULDER 48 2A
DeepVeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeepVeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2023 at 6:31pm
I have checked my tell tale light with ground, it works but it's stays on, when select low beam the bulb dims abit and on high beam it's bright.  
DeepVeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeepVeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2023 at 6:33pm
Also how do I check headlights with jumper wire?  Which pin to jump to where?  Thanks 
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2023 at 10:06am
disconnect headlamp wires from the junction block and apply voltage to each one while observing the headlights for response. That will tell you if the lights are connected properly and which wire leads are for high or low beams. If there is a problem, unplug the light connectors and using a ground lead and a voltage lead test them individually . If they are working properly you now know for sure which wires go where on the terminal block.
Similarly, test the foot switch with a meter to determine for sure which terminal is the common voltage feed and that continuity to the other two terminals changes when the switch is activated.

Edited by TERRY - 22 May 2023 at 10:08am
BOULDER 48 2A
48willys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 48willys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2023 at 10:57am
The problem could be a wire in the wrong spot on the headlight plug. Pull both headlights and unplug them, using a multimeter or test light check the voltage going to each pin and confirm they are in the right spot. Looking at the front of the plug, high is the left terminal, low is the top terminal, and ground is the right terminal.

I had to edit the post because the first illustration was wrong, went and got an original plug and took a picture of it.

Edited by 48willys - 22 May 2023 at 11:14am
1946 cj2a #28680
1948 chevy 3800 thriftmaster
1946-50's cj2a-3a farm jeep
1993 yj, aka the yj7
DeepVeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeepVeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2023 at 8:24pm
Thank you,  I test continuity on dimmer switch with power off, i got power only on one side at a time which is correct I believe.  I will check power at headlights tomorrow.  Correct me if I'm wrong......headlight switch only provide power to dimmer switch and dimmer switch control hi/low?  But when I pull switch all the way out, I only got hi no low at all.  Once again thank you for troubleshooting on this issues.
TERRY View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TERRY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2023 at 9:13pm
YES, the dash switch powers the foot switch which in turn sends power to the terminal strip then to the high or low beams.
Make sure the headlamps are grounded and that the low beam wires from each lamp are on the same screw of the terminal strip and same for the high beam wires. The lead you choose on the foot switch for the high beams should also feed the tell tale lamp.
BOULDER 48 2A
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>