Forum Home Forum Home > The CJ2A Parts Project > Parts List > Electrical Group
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Headlight Switch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Headlight Switch
    Posted: 22 May 2009 at 3:55pm
GROUP 15-12A
LIGHTING SWITCH
Part No.641622

There have been at least 3 different switches used in CJ-2A, with no distinction between part numbers.

A short-lived switch was used only in early '45 production, for the first 240-250 or so vehicles:

Douglas A-847 (photo from Willys FSM)

The preponderance of switches found are one of these 2:

Culver-Stearns brand:

It is what appears to be shown in the FSM.  It has a "Klixon" model C-5820, 30A circuit breaker attached (snap-action thermal disc):

Unknown brand:

This switch has been found w/both the "Klixon" CB (as above), and this round "F.A.Smith Mfg" type 1108, 30A circuit breaker.

Later model switches have a different circuit breaker, and modern replacements have a center-mounted fuse instead of a circuit breaker:

Original switch operation:

1st. position: marker lights & tail light on - headlights off
2nd position: marker lights off - tail lights & headlights on

Edited by sean - 20 June 2011 at 5:58pm
Alpine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2014 at 12:09am
I know this is an old thread but does anyone have a diagram showing which wires go to which terminals on the very last switch (drawing) above. I think I have it wired correctly but I am not getting any lights.
lowenuf View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lowenuf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2014 at 12:24am
closest one to the pull knob will be your headlights.....  of the other two, one is for parking lights, the other for tail light......

if you pull the switch all the way out, and lose your tail light, then you have the tail light/parking light wires on the wrong posts.....

your parking lights will go out when you pull to headlights, but your tail light should work in both parking and head lights...

"power in" on the terminal of the fusible link that is closest to the switch body, the other fuse link terminal is for a hot feed to accessories...

Edited by lowenuf - 02 Feb. 2014 at 12:28am
45 #10012
45 #10033 ACM #47
45 #10163 ACM #188
57 CJ5    Dauntless V6, T-18 4-speed, D-44 rear/D-30 front, D-20 twin stick

Alpine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alpine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb. 2014 at 12:53am
Thank. I had the power in hooked up wrong.
KC-10ENG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KC-10ENG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2015 at 12:01am
I have a Walcks Harnes that I am installing. They have a wire labeled Circuit Breaker inside term. Is that the Aux or the battery terminal??

I have the park light, tail light and headlight hooked up already.

Thanks.
1948 CJ2A
Retired USAF
Stavri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stavri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov. 2015 at 1:44am
I am wiring this switch and the my wiring diagram says the foot dimmer switch gets wired to this last photo light switch. Which terminal? The headlight terminal? Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply