Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Modifications from original
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Heat Sink for Power Steering

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Heat Sink for Power Steering
    Posted: 09 July 2018 at 12:35am
This maybe should be posted on the early CJ5 page, but  I have  V6 powered 2A with GM power steering.
Over the weekend while some challenging wheeling my PS was overheating, spitting fluid, and making weird noises.  A suggestion was to add a heat sink. Question is has anybody else experienced this and possible solved the problem by adding a heat sink and what suggestions as to where to mount it?
Fltfndr
1948 CJ2A Restomod "Six Pac"
The object of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his. George S. Patton
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2018 at 12:48am
This is mine, on the mostly stock platform. Some minor trimming of the inner shield was needed to clear the hoses. But she fits nicely behind the grill in the airflow. 

This is the one on the crawler. It's a dual pass. Some folks prefer this type of heat sink versus a traditional cooler. 

46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
Fltfndr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2018 at 12:57am
Thanks for the pics, I wonder why a heat sink would work better than a cooler due to the lack of air flow while crawling.
Fltfndr
The object of war is not to die for your country, but make the other bastard die for his. George S. Patton
Ol' Unreliable View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ol' Unreliable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2018 at 1:19am
More surface area to radiate the heat.  Also more fluid in the system so the oil doesn't get as hot as fast.

Edited by Ol' Unreliable - 09 July 2018 at 1:24am
There's a reason it's called Ol' Unreliable
NCtoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCtoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2018 at 1:54am
not to steal your thread, but is it a dauntless engine or something else? Do you have a build thread or pics of your setup?
Fltfndr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2018 at 4:14am
1948 CJ2A, Mustang Radiator, 66 CJ5 Dauntless V6, T-14/D18 with Terralow, 44 rear end with full floaters, lockers in both ends
Fltfndr
NCtoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCtoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2018 at 3:36pm
Are you using a front dump exhaust manifold or something else? What box did you use and how did you fit the steering linkage around the exhaust? I have a dauntless in my 2a too. From what I understand it’s a real pain to upgrade the steering with a dauntless engine, which has kept me from trying it. 
Fltfndr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2018 at 7:06pm
Using AA Headers for V6 into 2A. These are outside the frame, adjustable steering linkage passes underneath headers with plenty of room. Manual saginaw originally installed in the 70s with AA mount for manual.  Now AA makes only one mount for manual or power. When I converted to P/S, I stayed with my manual steering box mount and had to notch my crossmember for the hoses. My steering linkage passes underneath the crossmember.  Hope this is not too confusing, but initial installation was no problem with the AA headers.
Fltfndr
Fltfndr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2018 at 7:08pm
On your crawler, is the effectiveness of your heat sink affected by the close proximity of your headers?
Fltfndr
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2018 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by Fltfndr Fltfndr wrote:

On your crawler, is the effectiveness of your heat sink affected by the close proximity of your headers?

No. There is a considerable amount of air moving around it from the electric fan. I went with the dual pass cooler thinking heat may be an issue. But I think i could have gotten by with a single pass. 

That said, I'll never argue away added fluid capacity and cooling surface. I used to burn up a pump a year. No more. That pump is four or five years old now. So I think combined with the Amsoil fluid, I have this full hydro thing licked. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
flatfender47 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatfender47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2018 at 4:35am
I've had the same problem with p/s overheating.
1947 CJ2A V6 225 D30 with powr lok
I've tried various coolers in front of and behind the radiator.
I've often thought about installing a large heat sink type as well.
Some folks have told me they finally stopped it by removing the powr lok
and installing a gear driven unit up front.
1947 CJ2A 225V6 SM420 D30 PLok/D44 D/Locker Warn OD 5:38s
flatfender47 View Drop Down

Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flatfender47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2018 at 4:38am

Using AA Headers for V6 into 2A. These are outside the frame, adjustable steering linkage passes underneath headers with plenty of room. Manual saginaw originally installed in the 70s with AA mount for manual.  Now AA makes only one mount for manual or power. When I converted to P/S, I stayed with my manual steering box mount and had to notch my crossmember for the hoses. My steering linkage passes underneath the crossmember.  Hope this is not too confusing, but initial installation was no problem with the AA headers.

My Jeep story is the same as Fltfnder.
1947 CJ2A 225V6 SM420 D30 PLok/D44 D/Locker Warn OD 5:38s
Fltfndr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fltfndr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2018 at 5:40am
For the life of me, I don't understand what a differential gear could have anything to do with a P/S unit overheating.  The effort to turn the wheels is the same regardless whats turning the R & P.
Fltfndr
nofender View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 3

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nofender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2018 at 10:59am
What do you use for fluid? 

years back some rock crawlers out west were having similar problems. A couple of them switched to Amsoil Tractor Hydraulic fluid. They were really hyping up this fluid. I was a bit skeptical, but tried it. 

The difference was  dramatic! Heat reduced, pump whine gone. I swear by the stuff as do many others. I went as far as swapping the fluid in my Dodge truck and my daily driver Jeep. And no don't sell the stuff or know anyone that does. 

It may be worth a look to swap to a higher quality fluid. It certainly worked for me. 
46 CJ2a rockcrawler
46 CJ2a - 26819
46 Bantam T3c "4366"
47 Bantam T3C - 11800
68-ish CJ5
Nothing Special View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nothing Special Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2018 at 6:10pm

For the life of me, I don't understand what a differential gear could have anything to do with a P/S unit overheating.  The effort to turn the wheels is the same regardless whats turning the R & P.
Imagine sitting still and turning your steering from lock to lock.  As the front tires turn they would also tend to roll - forward for the right tire as you turned the wheel to the left, backward on the other side.  With a limited slip you'd be fighting the friction of the clutches as you did that.  A spool would be worse, but any other diff would allow that relative motion pretty freely.

That said, is that difference significant, and would it make it more likely for your power steering to overheat?  I sure wouldn't think so.
Bob

Flatfender wannabe
'71 Ford Bronco
 Post Reply Post Reply