Forum Home Forum Home > CJ-2A Discussion Area > Off-Topic area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hello Jeepers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello Jeepers
    Posted: 03 Nov. 2021 at 9:37am
Just wanted to say Hello... I don't have much to post on my project, but just wanted to keep in touch. I though some of you 'war' guys would like the nerf bunker we built... 100 sand bags and 2 yards of soil. I think we need a rusted out WILLYS for yard art, that can be bunker #2! LOL

- Don't Let The Fatherless Ones Grind You Down -
- I like them stock, survivor's with original paint are my favorites -
Downs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Downs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov. 2021 at 11:48am
That's a pretty nice fighting position.  
windyhill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote windyhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov. 2021 at 1:11pm
Love it!  Spent many an afternoon "in the trenches and setting up defense positions" in the woods as a kid.  Good times!

One of our best forts my Dad helped build.  three trees about 10 foot apart in a triangle.  he cut down saplings 2-4" in diameter and 7' tall and ran them in a line tree to tree (with two boards behind they where nailed to)  Then he put a flat board walk way at about 4' So we had a stockade / fort. It was epic, even had a crows nest up one of the threes.  

Edited by windyhill - 03 Nov. 2021 at 1:17pm
'48 CJ2A
'53 CJ3B
'59 CJ6
'65 CJ5
'67 CJ5
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov. 2021 at 3:14pm
I hope to build those memories too Windyhill.. I'm happy my Dad saved all my toy wooden rifles, the kids get a kick out of them. 
bight View Drop Down
Sponsor Member x 2

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov. 2021 at 7:32pm
thats cool. what a blast!

we had no money back in the days (60's) so buying sand bags was out. we did have shovels, hammers, hatchets, and ways to "find" stuff like scrap materials, bent nails, dumpster goodies, etc. 

we woulda pi**ed ourselves with a fort that cool. i would even be diggin that now for paintball. not sure nurf would get the ole' adrenaline pumping much.

we would build crazy tree forts and underground forts and tunnels in the few vacant woods lots in our suburbia. had old air rifles that you shoved the barrel end into the dirt then shot each other with dirt clods. we drew the line at no BB guns. no safety glasses or helmets existed for us kids. we did have one or two old army helmet liners to wear along with a few of the old green belts to hold a pistol. magazine holsters with nothing to put in em'.

hard to imagine survival. our tree forts were not up to any code. scrap boards cut and nailed to trees serving as a ladder (with two nails, not just one have you) but seemingly ready to come off the tree at any second. then spindly branches for stringers, multiple panels nailed or wired together with wire from newspaper bundles. crazy. we even made 2 and 3 story versions. man, i wish i had a photo. i may actually have an old polaroid somewhere, of one of them.

Edited by bight - 03 Nov. 2021 at 7:35pm
CJ-2A 72586 tan (stock)
CJ-2A 197624 green (resto-mod)
the wife abides (def: to bear patiently; TOLERATE)
stevez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov. 2021 at 9:06pm
is the cj5 ready to plow snow this winter?
ggordon49 View Drop Down
Sponsor Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ggordon49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov. 2021 at 9:12am
Hello stevez, thank you for asking! Embarrassed Yes, we hope so... I have to take some pictures of the plow controls my brother rigged up, they came out cool.. We ran into one snag though.. After a bunch of work, the water pump started leaking when the thermostat opened.... We were all pretty upset and a little discouraged. However, after some digging around, it turned out the previous owner had removed one of the water pump bolts to make clearance for the alternator bracket. WHO does that! Angry 
duffer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov. 2021 at 9:17pm
Now the sequel to "Poof, no eyebrows"----
1955 3B: 441sbc,AGE 4 speed transmission, Teralow D18w/Warn OD, 4.11:1 D44's/ARB's, glass tub & fenders, aluminum hood/grill, 8274, York OBA, Premier Power Welder; 67 CJ5: 225,T86AA, D18, 4.88's, OD
 Post Reply Post Reply